Firefox nightly theme changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Re: Firefox nightly theme changes

Post by KLB »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yup: browser.syncPromoViewsLeft
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2173163&p=11479457&hilit=sync#p11479457

If you copied the code for this directly from the default theme, it contains negative margins (I'm not entirely sure why) so you need to adjust them.

Thanks!

This is a little off topic, but I've been slowly rewriting the AMO Editors' theme testing guidelines at https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO:Editors/Ed ... emeReviews. Some of the testing instructions are the result of stuff in this thread. Any feedback and/or suggestions for that page would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me with feedback. The goal is to make sure the testing guidelines stay fully updated to the current status version of Firefox. I also want to make the guidelines as systematic as possible.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

KLB wrote:... but I've been slowly rewriting the AMO Editors' theme testing guidelines at https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO:Editors/Ed ... emeReviews.

You need Linux under OS Specific Issues.

panel .panel-arrowcontent uses box-shadow in Windows default theme and most themers will just use this. However, Linux does not support box-shadow and will break very badly - like a 15px ragged black border around the box!

Editors do not need to test with a Linux OS.
#1. Arrow panel notifications boxes not using box-shadow in Windows are going to pass.
#2. Those that are using it - look at chrome.manifest to see if os_target is there and follow trail. Should lead to a Linux only popup.css fix
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KLB

Post by KLB »

Frank Lion wrote:
KLB wrote:... but I've been slowly rewriting the AMO Editors' theme testing guidelines at https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO:Editors/Ed ... emeReviews.

You need Linux under OS Specific Issues.

panel .panel-arrowcontent uses box-shadow in Windows default theme and most themers will just use this. However, Linux does not support box-shadow and will break very badly - like a 15px ragged black border around the box!

Editors do not need to test with a Linux OS.
#1. Arrow panel notifications boxes not using box-shadow in Windows are going to pass.
#2. Those that are using it - look at chrome.manifest to see if os_target is there and follow trail. Should lead to a Linux only popup.css fix

Good observation I can certainly add a note about this, in the testing guidelines, but at most due to AMO editor review policies we would simply mention this issue to theme developers, a theme would never be refused a full review because of this.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'm using a media query to turn on the shadows when I detect the "windows default theme" which is basically any theme except Classic or a weird custom one.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 497995 - Change existing border-image uses in the tree to match the new spec
Bug 659213 - Disable the status panel's border radius since it makes the label use grayscale anti-aliasing (note: if one uses 5px or less it may also not grey scale anti-alias)
Bug 709578 - Replace :-moz-system-metric with @media blocks
Bug 709006 - Implement a Orion theme that matches the DevTools theme (note: I selected to keep my own theme look & feel instead of that darkish scheme)
Bug 687702 - Skin the Style Editor according to shorlander's mockups
Bug 706100 - Deduplicate skin files shared between gnomestripe and winstripe (only build changes)
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
elizeb

Post by elizeb »

thanks for the bug fixes.
WattsvilleBlues
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by WattsvilleBlues »

Any word of the Australis theme landing on the UX nightly?
I think they're more interested in my epididymis
patrickjdempsey

This thread is for theme authors to log changes as they land on Nightly so we can figure out how to implement them into our themes. Discussions about theoretical things happening in UX need to stay in the UX thread in Builds please: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2393891
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
WattsvilleBlues
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by WattsvilleBlues »

patrickjdempsey wrote:This thread is for theme authors to log changes as they land on Nightly so we can figure out how to implement them into our themes. Discussions about theoretical things happening in UX need to stay in the UX thread in Builds please: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2393891

Okie dokie, sorry about that.
I think they're more interested in my epididymis
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 709578 - Replace :-moz-system-metric with @media blocks (Note, nested media queries are not allowed in 'older' versions)
Bug 419231 - Floating scrollbar in the toolbar customization palette is funky
Bug 712113 - Either brace should be clickable to add new properties in the Style panel's Rule View;
Bug 711851 - Add a noise background to the devtools toolbars on Mac OSX;
Bug 713828 - Stop styling page-proxy-stack
Bug 713360 - [highlighter] Breadcrumbs bar started looking funny after Bug 497995 landed
Bug 704132 - Style Inspector's left column should auto-fit text contents
Bug 713822 - Simplify @media queries
Bug 704182 - webconsole forces wacky lists on GCLI
Bug 715735 - Detail view icon has no dimensions set, causes a relayout when it loads
Bug 711368 - gcli.css uses both box-sizing and -moz-box-sizing
Bug 706230 - GCLI should have a jump-to-scratchpad feature
Bug 714027 - Devtools sidebar box has a weird background when opened on Windows
Bug 704017 - [RTL] The Inspector rules view should be LTR
Bug 717258 - Fix CSS typo in winstripe/devtools/common.css
Last edited by akayser on January 19th, 2012, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
KLB

Post by KLB »

Bug 709578 could cause theme developers a world of hurt if they try implementing nested @media blocks on themes that are supposed to support Firefox versions less than v12.
patrickjdempsey

Bug 713360 looks like it could be a version breaker for anyone using -moz-border-image in their themes for tabs and scrollbars? I'm not sure because I honestly don't understand how -moz-border-image works at all.
patrickjdempsey

Have you noticed anything about the frame for Aero? I noticed a few days ago that the width of the frame looks different.
SoapyHamHocks

Post by SoapyHamHocks »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Have you noticed anything about the frame for Aero? I noticed a few days ago that the width of the frame looks different.

I think the chomemargins were reduced in Nightly, no idea what bug number though.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned, but this was brought to my attention in the AMO editors IRC channel.

Bug 659407: Remove duplicate theme files

Basically it looks like an effort to clean up the omni.ja files. This could be helpful to us in figuring up how to clean up our themes.