Firefox nightly theme changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
akayser

Re: Firefox nightly theme changes

Post by akayser »

Bug 674229 - Repeat bubbles in Web Console are too close to the Source Link;
Bug 674578 - Support resizer[dir="bottomstart"].
Bug 553992 - No focus rings for buttons in download manager, places window and the update dialog.
Bug 455694 - Animate tab reordering & detaching.
Bug 669656 - [highlighter] Once a node is locked, the highlighter should give a visual feedback.
Bug 649480 - Use different appmenu button styling, depending on the update channel, styles by Stephen Horlander
Bug 671553 - Remove the navigation toolbar's custom button appearance in small icons mode; invert icons on dark personas and glass.
Bug 663611 - display pointer cursor when hovering tab groups.
Bug 652536 - Remove workaround for Bug 133527.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 481082 - Video controls listen for stalled event and change the UI accordingly.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Note, my 'about:home' overrride doesn't work anymore in recent nightlies, probably they have secured this 'leak' in chrome.manifest where one could override /content/*.css to /skin/*.css.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

akayser wrote:Note, my 'about:home' overrride doesn't work anymore in recent nightlies, probably they have secured this 'leak' in chrome.manifest where one could override /content/*.css to /skin/*.css.

And they won't give us an aboutHome.css to style it? Maybe it's time to resurrect that request?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

Does anyone know of any BugZilla bug reports that changed the way overflow text was cropped/wrapped in tab groups?
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Ken - Maybe this one: Bug 666842 - Use an ellipsis for long tab names in Panorama
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
KLB

Post by KLB »

mcdavis wrote:Ken - Maybe this one: Bug 666842 - Use an ellipsis for long tab names in Panorama

That has to do with the tab bar. I'm referring to text labels in tab groups.

A couple of us have noticed a visual change in behavior with some themes in relation to text labels in tab groups in Firefox 6.0 when we've been testing them for approval on AMO. I'm trying to figure out if there was a change in Firefox behavior to point folks to. :-k
KLB

Post by KLB »

I've isolated the issue with tab titles in tab groups wrapping instead of clipping . It is caused by "overflow:hidden" being removed from .tab-title in tabview.css. The only theme changes I made were directly related to theme changes posted in BugZilla that had been listed here. I now have to find which bug specified removing this style rule.:-k
patrickjdempsey

Oppps, sorry I was going to mention that in here and forgot to post:

Layout broken on preference dialog and find bar:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677091

To fix it you need to set width and height for the checkbox and not just min-width and min-height. It also impacts the Findbar and I think some of the notification panels.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

akayser wrote:Bug 666842 - Use an ellipsis for long tab names in Panorama

Be aware that with this bug if you fully implement the CSS and remove the following code from ".tab-title" in your tabview.css file you will break the tab text in your tab groups for Firefox versions less than v7.0:

Code: Select all

overflow: hidden;
white-space: nowrap;

Again, DO NOT remove "overflow-hidden" from this style rule.
patrickjdempsey

Of course immediately after both of my theme's latest versions go public this comes up:

Use -moz-appearance: -moz-win-exclude-glass; to exclude Glass in content...
http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/08/ ... es-plugin/

Does this impact themes that liberally use -moz-appearance:none? Does it impact themes who *usually* use -moz-appearance:none, but are *forced* to use aero support on the main window to allow the window control buttons to appear?
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

Does it impact themes who *usually* use -moz-appearance:none, but are *forced* to use aero support on the main window to allow the window control buttons to appear?

Apparently, it does. This is exactly my case and I've received two or three bug reports in a row already...
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
KLB

Post by KLB »

Here are the list of spots that "-moz-appearance: -moz-win-exclude-glass;" needs to be added to themes to address the aero glass issues.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... lude-glass

Theme updates are getting approved within a couple of days, provided there are no JavaScript changes, including no changes to JavaScript in XML bindings. So if you need to make changes due to this issue they should get approved pretty quickly.

--Edit--
For those without aero files, put the browser-aero.css rules for this issue in your browser.css file doing something like the following:

Code: Select all

@media all and (-moz-windows-compositor) {
  #appcontent {
    -moz-appearance: -moz-win-exclude-glass;
  }
}

You should already have a “@media all and (-moz-windows-compositor)” section in your browser.css file to deal with the other aero issues we’ve had to contend with like the window control buttons at the top right of the browser window.
akayser

Post by akayser »

One doesn't need to apply the '-moz-appearance: -moz-win-exclude-glass;' rule if you are using '-moz-appearance:-moz-win-borderless-glass' on that window. In my themes I have that borderless thing applied to all windows, making my own border inside the glass/transparent frame.

And here is an update on theme changes (after my holidays, so I hope I have found all relevant ones):
Bug 669345 - Add support for radio button elements for inline preferences
Bug 580194 - Tabbrowser icons or buttons are hard to see on mildly dark backgrounds
Bug 591699 - Wrong clickable area for "close tab group" button
Bug 648668 - update blank document default favicon
Bug 575234 - Create attribute-value editor for HTML inspector
Bug 679771 - [10.7] Lion Large Back Button is Fuzzy (mac only)
Bug 679708 - Further Lion-ize Toolbar Icons (mac only)
Bug 476430 - Make third-party add-ons disabled on startup, and allow users to activate them
Bug 596343 - Users should have exclusive control over selecting their add-ons
Bug 678761 - Add-on selection UI footer won't look good on non-aero themes
akayser

Post by akayser »

To test the the new select/block extensions functionality reset the pref 'extensions.shownSelectionUI'.

Edit: This is not possible, the 'new addon' and 'update' check dialogs are opened before the theme is activated, so no need to theme these...