Phusion Updated

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mserrano

Phusion Updated

Post by mserrano »

Phusion updated to version 0.2.

http://www.uniqueness-template.com/phusion/

What's new:
* Color icons as default (you can still use the greyscale icons by selecting "Use Small Icons" in the Customize window)
* More compact Bookmarks Toolbar
* Changed Bookmarks Folder Icon

Known Issues:
* If you have more Bookmarks than will fit on the Bookmarks Toolbar, you cannot access the dropdown menu to select the remaining bookmarks unless you force Phoenix to redraw the screen (minimizng then maximizing or resizing the window). I am working on a fix.
* Still using the default Mozilla throbber (anyone have any ideas for a good replacement?)

-Mike
francois

new version

Post by francois »

Nice improvements.
I am still not sur about the folders being yellow but they certainly look better now.

I don't have the feeling that bookmark bar height has shrunk but the favicon are obviously
smaller. Now all my bookmarks fit on the bookmark bar but I don't think you have reduced
(proportinnally) the space between objects.

I think it is coming along nicely! Colored buttons are nice.

I have a few issue however. For information I am working on linux (SuSE 7.3):

When I finish customizing the toolbar (in fact when I quit the customization menu even
if I did not do anything) the menus are grey and inaccessible, I have to quit by closing
all windows (Ctrl+w) and restart phoenix. I find it very strange, anyone can confirm this?
I also have Leech installed, in case this is important.

My thougths for (what I think would be) future improvement:

the folder buttons in the bookmark bar behave differently from links. Links are underlined but
folders are "boxed" I have no problem with a little difference in behaviour signalling that it is
a different object. However it would be nice if everything was consistent. When I go in a folder,
both subfolder and links are wraped in blue, I think they should obey the same selection rules
than on the bookmark bar itself (boxing and underlining).

For the throbber I guess we really need the input of an artist, which I am not.
Kamui

Grey Buttons

Post by Kamui »

Just for your information, I really like the grey buttons (and I think I am not alone in that), and I hope you don't remove them from future releases. Great(est) theme!
thenightfly42

Re: Phusion Updated

Post by thenightfly42 »

For those of you who read this too quickly (for instance, me):
mserrano wrote:* Color icons as default (you can still use the greyscale icons by selecting "Use Small Icons" in the Customize window)

means that the "small" and "large" icons are the same size. "small" = grey, "large" = color.

I switched from Qute, which has one more vertical space enhancing feature that is not used here; no horizontal lines between the toolbars. Any chance of including that in this Theme? It would make Phusion the ultimate space saver while still looking attractive.

Also, thank you for keeping the folders and bookmarks different colors; that's a peeve of mine in many other Themes.
Kamui

Post by Kamui »

thenightfly42 wrote:I switched from Qute, which has one more vertical space enhancing feature that is not used here; no horizontal lines between the toolbars. Any chance of including that in this Theme? It would make Phusion the ultimate space saver while still looking attractive.

I switched from Qute even before Phusion was out, and <i>because</i> of the missing horizontal separators. I find that look to be quite a bit too different, and it always seemed to me like there was something missing (the toolbar separators, obviously ;) ). I don't think that the separators have that much of an impact on screen real estate (and I <i>love</i> the fact that Phusions buttons are so small, because I too value screen real estate!).
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Kamui wrote:I don't think that the separators have that much of an impact on screen real estate (and I <i>love</i> the fact that Phusions buttons are so small, because I too value screen real estate!).

Well, on my system presently, Phusion and Qute take up the same amount of vertical space; however, Qute is using larger buttons. There's probably about 5 pixels of vertical space to be reclaimed this way.
francois

Post by francois »

"Also, thank you for keeping the folders and bookmarks different colors; that's a peeve of mine in many other Themes."

Can you elaborate on that? I am not sure what you mean. You mean keeping them yellow or is every else but me
have a bookmark folder a different color than 'regular folders'?
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

francois wrote:"Also, thank you for keeping the folders and bookmarks different colors; that's a peeve of mine in many other Themes."

Can you elaborate on that? I am not sure what you mean. You mean keeping them yellow or is every else but me
have a bookmark folder a different color than 'regular folders'?

The folders are yellow. The links are green. This is on both the Personal Bookmarks bar and the Bookmards menu. I like it very much. Other themes make these the same color, so I don't use them.

To each his own, of course.
francois

Post by francois »

thenightfly42 wrote:The folders are yellow. The links are green. This is on both the Personal Bookmarks bar and the Bookmards menu. I like it very much. Other themes make these the same color, so I don't use them.

To each his own, of course.

You are right, that is a good thing, I never noticed that problem before. A lot of web site
I visit have favicon which take over on my bookmark bar and make it less obvious.
But now that you have pointed that out, I absolutly agree.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

A quick thought, just throwing it out there:
I initially liked how the bookmarks on the Bookmark Toolbar light up to light green when I mouse over them. However, most of the bookmarks there have associated favicons, which don't light up, so it now seems disconcerting to me for the last couple bookmarks to light. I'd prefer that not to happen.

The above notwithstanding, I still like the way the Navigation Toolbar lights, and I like the right-click ONLY for back/forward history, so I don't hit it by accident.
RAF

Re: new version

Post by RAF »

I have a few issue however. For information I am working on linux (SuSE 7.3):

When I finish customizing the toolbar (in fact when I quit the customization menu even
if I did not do anything) the menus are grey and inaccessible, I have to quit by closing
all windows (Ctrl+w) and restart phoenix. I find it very strange, anyone can confirm this?

Hi,
I'm running W2K, don't have a clue what Leech is, but I have the same problem with customizing the toolbar.

-RAF

PS: I was trying to quote Francois.
Arvid Axelsson

Post by Arvid Axelsson »

Kamui wrote:I switched from Qute even before Phusion was out, and <i>because</i> of the missing horizontal separators. I find that look to be quite a bit too different, and it always seemed to me like there was something missing (the toolbar separators, obviously ;) ). I don't think that the separators have that much of an impact on screen real estate (and I <i>love</i> the fact that Phusions buttons are so small, because I too value screen real estate!).

I removed the borders mostly because I think it looks cleaner without them. It's not very hard to add them back by modifying userchrome.css or the file in the skin. Btw Qute takes with my toolbar layout as much space as Phusion with large icons, and less with small.
francois

Re: new version

Post by francois »

RAF wrote:I have a few issue however. For information I am working on linux (SuSE 7.3):

Hi,
I'm running W2K, don't have a clue what Leech is, but I have the same problem with customizing the toolbar.

-RAF

PS: I was trying to quote Francois.

Well in the end it was not related to Leech, probably errors in another theme or a bug. I haven't add
any other problems since. I did reinstall pheonix and reinstall most theme as a local installation and I
haven't add trouble ever since....
Kamui

Post by Kamui »

Arvid Axelsson wrote:
Kamui wrote:I switched from Qute even before Phusion was out, and <i>because</i> of the missing horizontal separators. I find that look to be quite a bit too different, and it always seemed to me like there was something missing (the toolbar separators, obviously ;) ). I don't think that the separators have that much of an impact on screen real estate (and I <i>love</i> the fact that Phusions buttons are so small, because I too value screen real estate!).

I removed the borders mostly because I think it looks cleaner without them. It's not very hard to add them back by modifying userchrome.css or the file in the skin. Btw Qute takes with my toolbar layout as much space as Phusion with large icons, and less with small.

I especially dislike how the active tab looks so very much out of place in (the default setup of) Qute. I just realized, when looking at the new Phoenity version, that I am not all that opposed to removing the separators. I just think it looks better the way Phoenity does it. (Phoenity separates the tabs from the menus and toolbars, and gives the menus and toolbars a "tray" to live in. I am sure Qute would look great if it did that, too.)

Of course, it might just be that this is very different on a Windows (2K) system, because one of the problems I have is with the transition to the window frames.