Proper etiquette to release my fix for someone ele's work

Discuss application theming and theme development.
DeadDude

Proper etiquette to release my fix for someone ele's work

Post by DeadDude »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, and I tried to do a search, but not sure what terms would give me the answer...

What is the etiquette for releasing a fix for someone else's work? I cannot locate a method of contacting the author directly.

As an example, the LittleMonkey extension/theme;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... seamonkey/

It will not load on the latest SeaMonkey (2.17.1), so I downloaded the file, extracted the install.rdf, and changed the text string for max version to 2.19. Now it loads and runs great.

I also was wondering exactly what 'licenses' allow me to pull icons and other coding for my own projects.

Thank you everyone for all the help!
Last edited by DeadDude on May 17th, 2013, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoudNoise

Re: Proper etiquette to release my fix for someone ele's wor

Post by LoudNoise »

First, you should wait a day or two after release to see if he updates it from 21 pre-release to release.

If not, Alfred lists a support email address for the theme. You should try that. If worse comes to worse, he is one of the working themers here so you could PM him.

If the theme is active you shouldn't post a fix at all. If someone asks how to make the theme work it is fine to let them know what you did.

As for license and/or taking over an abandoned theme. The coding is open for the most part and can be used by anyone. Images, on the other hand, have a copyrighted by default and should not be used without the permission of the creator of the images. While there is almost no chance you would could sued for using someone's images you won't be liked at all.

From my reading here these are the general rules of thumb (I would like folks who do themes to jump in here).

1) If a theme is active always contact the dev on the issue. You can do this by the support sites or emails. If that does not work then post here. Even if the themer does not hang out here there is a good chance that someone in Theme Dev knows of a way to connect the person.

2) If the theme is no longer being actively developed then you need to do some searching. In some cases the dev just got bored with the maintaining it and is willing to allow it to be continued by someone else. In other cases, the person who developed it does not want it continued at all. In the first case you can use the icons and other images but it is considered polite to contact the original developer to let them know that you are doing so (it is also a good idea). In the second case you shouldn't use the images or pester the original developer at all .

3) If the developer states that they do not give permission for anyone to take the theme over it is generally ok to make new images that are based on the ones the ones that were used. They should be original but can suggest the iconary used in the original. You should give the theme you post a new name but it is generally acceptable to note in it is based on the original theme in the description. For example, if the original theme was named Muddy River it would be acceptable to name the new theme Brown Water and note in the description of the theme that it is based on Muddy River.

4) If the theme hasn't been supported for a number version assume that the dev does not want it supported. See note three if you cannot reach the dev.

5) For the most part, all code is open source and can be used without worry. See the license listed at AMO.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

Thank you very much for the information!

I definitely don't want to upset anyone.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

DeadDude wrote:What is the etiquette for releasing a fix for someone else's work? I cannot locate a method of contacting the author directly.

Alfred's on this forum, I know he responds to PMs so that might be a good way. Hope that helps!

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1532843
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed