Changing of window icons broken in Fx 21

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mwalden

Changing of window icons broken in Fx 21

Post by mwalden »

Hello,

I am the author of the FOXSCAPE theme for Firefox which makes Firefox look link the old Netscape 4.x browser. I have been using the classic title bar icons (in the upper left corner) from Netscape for years without trouble. These icon files are stored in the following path on Windows XP.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Chrome\icons\default

(For example, for those wishing to test this in Fx 20 or 21, the main window icon is stored in there as: main-window.ico)

After updating to Firefox 21, all Firefox window icons just show the default round firefox icon. (On Windows XP at least...) The icon files are still in place in that path after the update. Everything worked fine in Fx 20.x.

I had read somewhere that Fx 21 moved files around for Win8 compatibility issues. Is the issue I am experiencing a side effect of this, possibly meaning that I need to relocate the icon files to a different path in Fx 21? I tried the following path...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\chrome\icons\default

... to no avail.

Lastly, could this issue be a side effect of Win8 not having window icons (I believe, from demos I saw), which carries over to Win XP users? Therefor, making this a "Design Feature" rather than a "Bug".

I took a quick stab at looking at the source code but nothing I could think of when grepping the code yielded anything specific to the the loading of the icons. So I gave up there.

I have no desire to enter this into Bugzilla since I view that as a black hole. I hope someone here will give me a response and / or make someone who can fix this do just that.

This feature of Firefox (theming the window icons) is so little known about, I am afraid that no one will notice the issue/bug, and therefor never fix it.

Thanks in advance for any input / help,
Michael
Paenglab

Re: Changing of window icons broken in Fx 21

Post by Paenglab »

Not tested, try to move the icons to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\chrome\icons\default

The plugins directory has also to be moved into browser to still work without about:config changes.
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
mwalden

Re: Changing of window icons broken in Fx 21

Post by mwalden »

Paenglab wrote:Not tested, try to move the icons to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\chrome\icons\default

The plugins directory has also to be moved into browser to still work without about:config changes.

Awesome!! That did it. Thanks for taking a stab at that.

Now that we know where the icons folder goes, others may possibly take advantage of it now that they know about it too.

The names for each icon file can be determined by using the DOM inspector to get each window's id value. Then just append .ico (on windows) onto the end and place that file into the path mentioned above. I do not know the correct file extensions or types for Linux or Mac.

Thanks again,
Michael