Which CSS file contains the text colors?

Discuss application theming and theme development.
DevynCJohnson

Which CSS file contains the text colors?

Post by DevynCJohnson »

Which CSS file contains the text colors? I am making a theme using other themes as a template. All that I have left is to change the font colors. However, I cannot figure out which CSS file contains the text information.

Question: Typically, which CSS file contains the text colors?
mcdavis

Re: Which CSS file contains the text colors?

Post by mcdavis »

Assuming you're talking about the text that's in the browser UI .. it's not in any one file, and there's no one place you can change it to change it everywhere. I think what you need to do is search every in-theme CSS file for use of the word 'color' on its own. Also, be aware that if an element is one a certain number of widgets drawn using OS settings, then you might need to set -moz-appearance: none on that widget for your color and other settings to have any effect.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
DevynCJohnson

Post by DevynCJohnson »

Thank you. Your reply helps me. I was hoping I make the needed changes easily.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DevynCJohnson wrote:I was hoping I make the needed changes easily.

Put the following into global/global.css -

Code: Select all

* { color: red !important; }   
*:hover { color: green !important; }
*:active { color: blue !important; }   

...which will take care of most text colours. Then inspect your theme and see if any haven't been changed and code those ones individually, using something like -

Code: Select all

#some_element {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
color: red !important; }

Finally, when you have all the text colours changing as you want, then alter the text colours above to the actual ones you want using the hex format (i.e. #6F7A85) and you're done.

Using extremes, like red/green colours for backgrounds or texts (or extreme margins of 20px instead of the desired 2px) is an old themer's trick of quickly establishing that you are 'hitting the correct IDs', without peering closely at little changes all the time as it is very obvious when you get it right like that.

Many of the more advanced themes use many different text colours for different parts, so we have no choice but to wade through the many different .css files to change them. However, I'm guessing this is your first theme and you don't fancy the idea of wading through a 100+ css files?

If so, the solution above will be a lot easier and quicker for you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DevynCJohnson

Post by DevynCJohnson »

Thank you, Frank Lion.