Call for contributors: New Theme Development Docs

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Frank Lion

Re: Call for contributors: New Theme Development Docs

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote: but I'm too busy with updating the 15-year-old Modern theme icons for SeaMonkey

That's coz you're 'hanging it up', as I recall. :)

Does product contribution count as "theming"? ;)

Well, it doesn't count as Firefox 'hanging it up' theming, but yeah, I reckon that counts 100% as theming, as does your SVG work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:I was visiting the AMO site earlier and saw this -

Seriously, this is a sad state of affairs. 'New Theme Development Docs' required? Really? Certainly recently it would have just been easier to individually Email the people who made the 16 new Firefox themes in the last YEAR?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rt=created

16 in an entire year! Jeeze.

...and to think I thought 16 new themes for 2013 was poor.

Just 11 new themes in 2014 (and 4 of those were by me)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Considering that Moz stated a couple of years ago that they were "deemphasizing" themes quite a few years back this is actually impressive.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoudNoise wrote:Considering that Moz stated a couple of years ago that they were "deemphasizing" themes quite a few years back this is actually impressive.

7 years back, as I recall.

7 years back being, er, also when they started toying with Personas. For those who don't know the difference, Personas are the things that Chrome and other browsers copied in 10 minutes and Complete Themes are what they didn't and couldn't/wouldn't/haven't, due to their branding restrictions on toolbar buttons, etc.

Well done, Mozilla, you really kicked the arses of those damn themers!....and, er, in doing so lost the only edge that you've ever had over the competition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

:-k

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=384084#c42

Frank Lion wrote:Otherwise, at sometime in the future, I suspect that someone at Mozilla will be waving about a totally meaningless set of figures to support a position that third party Firefox Themes are not in great demand by Firefox users
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Impressive indeed, four of those themes were never updated beyond Fx 28/33..Two never updated at all..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That's pretty typical for new themes. Most people build a theme and then realize that they don't want to keep updating it. And unlike extensions, you have to manually bump your theme for every version... even if you set max version to the current Nightly, eventually that version is passed and you have to bump again. And most new themes never even get to the stage of being 100% fully compatible before they are abandoned. A few of the folks here have pioneered new ways of building themes that makes them less prone to constant update breakage, but those methods aren't widely known outside of this forum.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

For what it may be worth, Mozilla is trying to get rid of the extension folks too. Firefox OS will be trampled under the hoofs of history simply because they aren't bright enough understand what is going on.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
jivko

Post by jivko »

Add-ons especially the ability to change to look of the browser the way you want is the thing that makes Firefox different from other browsers. Shame people are abandoning their themes but as a theme developer I understand them. Even for me it's hard to keep em all updated with this rapid release shit. The personas crap and the lack of time recently are the other two things which keep me away from working.