Hmm...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Hmm...

Post by patrickjdempsey »

A character encoding button? Are you kidding me? Oh wait, no I think I'm starting to get it... Mozilla is trying to pad out the Customizations deck with useless crap so people won't notice that things they used to use are suddenly gone.

I'm not sure how to disable the tab slide animation stuff... but they are doing silly things to calculate tab width in that... I'm still not sure why removing tab width from about:config was A: necessary or B: better with CSS for these purposes. I'm just thankful the SeaMonkey folks didn't go down that road.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

First of all, a short explanation of how I code up 'new features' and I'm doing this now because it'll make sense of the stuff later.

#1. In default, view new feature. When I have a vague idea of what it's supposed to do, then use DOMi to see what css files are controlling it.

#2. Move default css files to mine, using the same locations, where possible (yeah, right, we all need a mile long browser.css!)

#3. Search these moved default files using a .png filter term and move all listed images to the same location, where possible, into mine. Incidentally, (on WinRar) if these files/images are in one of the omni.ja then they can be dragged straight into your .jar, there is no need to Extract the onmi.ja for this.

#4. At this stage, I haven't read any of the default .css or looked at the images.

#5. Load up my stuff into FF and see what I've got. Usually, it works a lot better on the new feature now (it would) but looks dreadful (it would)

#6. I then actually read the relevant css and usually end up commenting out about 70% of it and recoding vast section to suit the style of theme I'm working on.

#7. Default images that show up and look awful (most) I make a note of and add to a replace list. I confess, I should really look at all images I drag over, but experience tells me that many are never seen and looking at out of context images on their own is fairly pointless. Sometimes, that approach backfires, but does save time.

....I'll continue with the main point of this post..another time

Later :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Better do this, before I forget -

Frank Lion wrote:Later on today, I'll post some pics of BMV on my 17esr and then on Australis to show how close (or not) I've managed to maintain the look and a few notes about some of the coding bits and pieces.

Here's BMV (people keep asking, it stands for Blue Moonlight Vista ;) ) on Firefox 17esr. The lack of titlebar and the toolbar button layout is the same on my Firefox 24esr (but I use a different theme often on both) -

So, let's see how close to that I can get on the latest Nightly of Firefox Australis -

When you last saw this, I had coded the combined Stop/Reload outside of the urlbar and to the right of it (you can get these to show side by side, but combined is how I have them). Now, I've moved them to the left of the urlbar, which is where I usually have them. But, obviously, that was in the days where you could put them and move them about where you like, now I have to code them into position and they are then fixed there.

You can now resize the urlbar/searchbar when the searchbar is on the left. This meant reducing the width of the resizer splitter so as to not have too big a 'gap' there.

The urlbar 'Go' button, er, had to go. It would look silly to the left of the urlbar, so close to the 'Search' button and technically it wasn't possible to get it to the right of the Bookmark star (which is actually the Bookmark Menu button) on the right side.

Finally, as I've mentioned before, the Bookmark and History Sidebar buttons on the far right are now from me coding some buttons using the custom buttons extension and using my existing normal state images. The don't change on hover or active as my usual buttons do, but they sure do toggle those sidebars very well.

The 'Customize and Control' button on the extreme far right is just a placeholder image of mine that I'm using until I decide what to use there. Ain't going to be no 3 line hamburger, that's for sure.

...incidentally, the menu arrow panel on the far right needs recoding -

..because I've slammed right side of it tight against the right side of the browser. The arrow position also needs to be adjusted. All the stuff that needs editing is in the chrome://browser/skin/customizableui/panelUIOverlay.css, you just need to adjust existing and add a new specific rule for the panel-arrow there.

So, that's what can be done on Australis - the version that was going to break all Complete Themes forever.

:)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Hmm, distinct lack of comments/replies on this thread, so either #1. I'm not explaining this stuff right #2. I am the only poor slob versioning for Australis #3 Everyone else already knows all this #4. No one is that interested in all this ...so, I think we'll make this the last post on this.

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:@ Patrick - default tabs have a 180px max, if you increase to (my usual) 250px, then tab animation breaks. Gaps just remain when you close a tab. I backed out my change and haven't investigated this since. Any ideas on this one?
I'm not sure how to disable the tab slide animation stuff... but they are doing silly things to calculate tab width in that... I'm still not sure why removing tab width from about:config was A: necessary or B: better with CSS for these purposes. I'm just thankful the SeaMonkey folks didn't go down that road.

The fix is actually easy enough and works great on default. Works great on my stuff as well, except for one thing - when you close loads of tabs, those damn tab scrollbutton-up/down arrows will not vanish, even when down to a couple of tabs - they are still there. That side has always worked well before.

You know how complicated the coding is on those (plus, I don't use them, but my Tab Overflow Extension ext. instead) so I didn't want to spend ages on fixing that. So, I'll leave you with probably one of the hackiest brute force 5 minute fixes that I've ever done. -

Code: Select all

#tabbrowser-tabs:not([overflow="true"]) > .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox .scrollbutton-up,
#tabbrowser-tabs:not([overflow="true"]) > .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox .scrollbutton-down {      visibility : collapse !important;}

:P

Mind you, it did work. Even so, I'll revisit and do it properly some other time.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Sorry Frank, I'm not sure who here aside from mcdavis, akayser, and KLB are planning on making the jump. Personally, I'm trying to get acclimated to SeaMonkey and hoping Mozilla doesn't do something stupid like rip out support for certain customization features from the toolkit.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Sorry Frank, I'm not sure who...

Well, Australis is still a good few build versions from Release and not only do the less frequent themers drop by here, but they are bound to nearer the actual release date. Either that, or they will be in a world of confusion.

I still reckon it'll do them good to see how radically Australis can be restyled and yet retain all new and existing features. So, with that in mind, I'll leave you with a pic of the final BMV version for Australis -

Since you've all last seen this -

#1. Urlbar 'Go' button reappears and pops up (as before) on the right side of the urlbar.

#2. The addons bar/statusbar is restored, together with full styling, full customabilty of buttons placed on it, styled progressmeter, Download button directly linked to the 'Downloads' Library and status loading info directly on it, not above.

In addition to the extra theme coding (granted some of it was 'somewhat advanced') just 2 extensions were required to complete the job, both of which are optional -

#1a. The Custom Buttons extension - used to return the Bookmark and History Sidebar Toggle buttons (as seen top right)

#2a. The Status-4-Evar extension - used to return the addons bar, together with some of the details mentioned above in #2.

Finally, I would just add this, there are 'other extension/s' around that can change the default Australis theme to more of a pre-Australis look which is only what is intended, but do not, somewhat ironically, cater for Complete Themes. Don't get slack and think you can rely on these for your stuff. Feel free to try and you'll see what I mean. ;)

That completes, ladies and gentlemen, our fascinating tour through the wonderful world of Complete Themes and the third party application that I use to display some of them on....