Hi Guys! Im Back~NEED HELP catching back up!

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Raila

Hi Guys! Im Back~NEED HELP catching back up!

Post by Raila »

And OMGosh!! so much has changed!! I cannot believe how much of the layout has changed and honestly, I cannot even remember how to GET to any of the files and the customization options we used to do!!

I changed to Chrome for a while because Fx just got too glitchy and unstable for me and frankly pissed me off and now Chrome has done the same thing, so I am back to Fx lol..

But I cant handle Stock. :D

Can you guys give a girl a hand and let me get my coderlegs back and direct me to where everything is hidden again?
Stock is UGLI........... I can deal LOL!!
Last edited by Raila on February 22nd, 2014, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5 2500 running Win 7
Vanilla Fx (for now)
Extensions-TabMixPlus, IETab2, FireGestures, Stylish, AdblockPlus 2, ColorfulTabs
LoudNoise

Re: Hi Guys! Im Back~

Post by LoudNoise »

You have returned just in time for a massive UI change :) .
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Raila

Post by Raila »

lol of course I did :D
so whats in the works??
i5 2500 running Win 7
Vanilla Fx (for now)
Extensions-TabMixPlus, IETab2, FireGestures, Stylish, AdblockPlus 2, ColorfulTabs
Raila

Post by Raila »

so after lookin around, I am really confused..I have only found two themes compatible with the newest stable version being Noia and Nasa? (SO much easier on my eyes... stock is uglier than ever) IS there even any editing available? When I look on the "themes" for the available stuff, they are just friggin image files for the top and bottom for everything else... its very disappointing from what we used to do "back in the day" and I am at a loss..

I cant even find the userchrome and the other editable files in the profile.. I dont know if they even exist anymore. I am so out of the game :( do we even still have the abilities we used to have?
Should I scrap this version and get one of the Australis nightlies and start working on that so I dont get tied up with this version and not even bother with anything here?

guh.
i5 2500 running Win 7
Vanilla Fx (for now)
SnoutSpout

Post by SnoutSpout »

Raila wrote:Should I scrap this version and get one of the Australis nightlies...

Since you're on release Australis Nightly will make the theme situation even worse. But you certainly should install it in parallel just to have some expectation of what's coming down the road in a month+ or so.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Raila wrote: When I look on the "themes" for the available stuff, they are just friggin image files for the top and bottom for everything else... its very disappointing from what we used to do "back in the day" and I am at a loss..

Look for "Complete Themes". That they are calling Themes now-a-days used to be called personas and are, as you noted, simple wall paper. What used to be called Themes are now called Complete Themes (last time I checked) See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2640725 for that silly tale.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Raila

Post by Raila »

Personas. That was after my time too. I left in 2007...everything was crashing, none of my edits were taking with the updates that were going, everything was going crazy and I got pissed lol.

Check./addon page.
Personas are the lame wallpaper, and useless for what I wish...
BENEATH THAT is the complete theme option in the Add-ons page. Never even saw that before but you can search for Complete theme IF you know to look for it when you get to the theme page. Check again.

ok so looking... I can get like 3 off the site... Noia I already have that I found on the forums and the others are hideously bad. like fugly beyond words. gah. If they look like what Australis is going to be?? I am going to be changing stuff like mad.. as soon as I relearn it.

ALL of the others available under the Complete Themes are not compatible with version 27... so yeah I am going to have to learn how to alter stuff. Noia is beautiful but it still doesnt give me everything I want lol AND I want to know how to change the things in here again. Everything is so different!!

Now.. to figure out how to get simultaneous versions running again with a stock install.
I deleted EVERYTHING I had before... so yeah lol
Does EdMeisters set of directions from way back still apply for the capabilities today with Win7 and 8??
i5 2500 running Win 7
Vanilla Fx (for now)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Compatibility is a maybe yes/maybe no issue with V27 (and likely 28). In most cases just upping the version number in the Theme will allow it work.

Not entirely on topic (I will be happy to split this off to a new thread if you want me to), but changes, mostly rapid release, was the final straw for many of the Themers. With a new release every six weeks, many just decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore. The "de-emphasizing" of themes at AMO also took out a share of the remainders. As far as I know, only a very few are working on an Australis theme.

Btw, you might want to edit your topic to something like "Hi Guys! Im back--Need help catching up".
Post wrangler
Raila

Re: Hi Guys! Im Back~NEED HELP catching back up!

Post by Raila »

great point and I edited the topic accordingly :D
that is excellent news with the version number.. I remember having done that many times with extensions. basically having the "expiration date" changed on it.

Makes me sad that so many of our excellent and enormously talented themers and familiar names are not around any longer. I feel like a stranger in a strange land now :(
of course I cannot say much. I did the same when nothing I could do would "stick" and gave up as well. I feel the pain. I saw in the other thread that Aaron gave up the ghost as well because of the frustration.
advancement is one thing. but when the core principles of what the entirety of the system are changed without being able to incorporate what you LOVED about it in the first place??? meh.

anywho nah no need to branch out for me LN.. this is good.

so my questions.
I for sure need to find out HOW to edit things again.

1.Do I need to create my own userchrome.css from scratch and stick it into my files and start fuddling around with that like we used to do or will that bork things up since there is not one in the file system?

2.does EdMeister's old set of instructions still apply as far as being able to run stock 27 and Australis to see what the differences are without killing my stock?

3.Does Fx still utilize separated profiles and will I need to run and launch each from its own individual profile/shortcut like we used to have to before to make sure nothing overlaps?

I think those should be enough to get me running..
i5 2500 running Win 7
Vanilla Fx (for now)