[Release] - GrApple (Zaphod)

Discuss application theming and theme development.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Does this theme not allow the menus to show up by design? Or is it just because I was trying to use it on Windows, despite your obvious warning. Otherwise this is a very well done and slick theme!

I still want to know why my post shows up first, when I did in fact post second...
Last edited by smsmith on August 23rd, 2005, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aronnax!

[Release] - GrApple (Zaphod)

Post by Aronnax! »

Hi,
a new one

GrApple (Zaphod) - Version 1.0
designed for Firefox 1.0* and Deer Park - Mac OS X only

http://www.grapple.net.tf/
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

smsmith wrote:Does this theme not allow the menus to show up by design? Or is it just because I was trying to use it on Windows, despite your obvious warning. Otherwise this is a very well done and slick theme!

???
which menus - please make a screenshot
and
as far as i know it makes fatal errors with Firefox 1.0 on Win/Linux - have you tested the theme with Deer Park?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

With Deer Park, I get no menus (File, Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, Tools, Help) or scrollbars. No fatal error occured and otherwise the theme seemed to work pretty good.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050629 Firefox/1.0+ using Win2K

I will give more thorough testing under WinXP in the next few days and let you know what I discover.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

Using Deer Park Alpha 1 on WinXP here.

The themes loaded without any errors. However, everything in my navbar disappeared: back/forward buttons, URL bar, search bar, all of it. Drop-down menus (File, Bookmarks, etc) also disappeared, but using Compact Menu made them accessible. Text spacing in the drop-down menus was extremely exaggerated.

In short, they work, but not that well.

Is it out of the question to get Win32 versions of some of these themes (GrApple Brazil, GrApple Brushed, GrApple Classic in particular) with Compact Menu support? I know third party ports exist, but they're either not maintained (kyods') or poorly done (E~r~i~c's).
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

Terpfen wrote:Is it out of the question to get Win32 versions of some of these themes

Yes - I'm not in the mood to do,
because
- i have no Win/Linux PC, only a slow Virtual PC emulator
- i don`t use Win/Linux, possible themes would accordingly only poor ones (with many evil trifles)
scratch

Post by scratch »

as of 1.1, it should be possible to make one theme file that will work on all OSes.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

scratch wrote:as of 1.1, it should be possible to make one theme file that will work on all OSes.

perhaps, but only with ugly compromises
and as soon as Firefox 1.1 arrived - the support for Firefox 1.0 will be dropped - and some better 1.1 only features will be integrate in the themes

nobody needs another rotten trade-off theme ;-)
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

Damn! Well, I'll keep hoping for some spruced-up third party ports, then.

Thanks for responding, Arronax.
scratch

Post by scratch »

what ugly compromises do you speak of?
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

scratch wrote:what ugly compromises do you speak of?

Download a port - for example http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=20503
and compare it with one of my themes - notice in particular the used fonts, fontsize etc. -

one problem (from a user of the port): "I'm having a little problem with this theme, I am using Firefox 1.01 and the status bar shows no activity while pages are loading, it just remains "blank"."
it use a Mac OS X "native" activity display - and this work naturally only on a mac, like many other details - an ugly compromises is to recreate it with pictures (and these can`t react on other OS X system settings - the appearance settings)

inverse - nearly every theme created on Win/Linux is on the mac unaesthetic - importance details are tuned to fit well with these systems, but not with a mac.
scratch

Post by scratch »

that's a port though, not a theme designed to be cross-platform. also, do you have the same fonts installed on both systems? i'm sure that would help if you don't. you should file bugs on anything you can't make work cross-platform, because the developers are striving to have themes be entirely cross-platform.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

scratch wrote:that's a port though, not a theme designed to be cross-platform. also, do you have the same fonts installed on both systems? i'm sure that would help if you don't. you should file bugs on anything you can't make work cross-platform, because the developers are striving to have themes be entirely cross-platform.

Hi,
surely, you can install some fonts - but you can`t anticipate that everybody who want to use a firefox theme install the needed.

and read this from Kevin Gerich ( particularly with regard to point two)
Why is Pinstripe Mac OS X only?
http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/about.html

the code from my themes is almost identically equal to the mac default - if this code would be changed to be entirely cross-platform - my themes changed likewise - unless ..
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Okay, as promised like a week ago, some screenshots on Windows (specifically WinXP, but it looks the same for me using Win2K).

Default Theme:

GrApple (Zaphod) Theme:

How do Mac users normally access the menus? In all of the Mac screenshots I have seen, none of the show the menus. Also, there are no scrollbars when using this theme in Windows.
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

smsmith: mac's have the menubar on top of the screen, not in every darn window... The scrollbars... check stickified thread about converting win32 theme for OS X, it propably can be done the other way around too.