Changes in search landed on beta

Discuss application theming and theme development.
jorgev

Changes in search landed on beta

Post by jorgev »

So, this happened. The search UI now has some significant differences that might break themes.

The reason it's happening so quickly is that it was connected to the change in default search provider for Firefox (in some regions), so it will be launched next week with Firefox 34. You can download the latest Beta version to give this new UI a try and see if your themes break because of it. Again, let me know if you have any compat updates in the queue and I'll make sure they get priority.
Jorge Villalobos
Add-ons Developer Relations Lead, Mozilla
mightyglydd

Re: Changes in search landed on beta

Post by mightyglydd »

j, FYI: Being discussed here..

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2890823
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Zip build here -

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/en-US/

Yep, makes sense. I stay ahead by using (atm) 36.0a1, so they introduce changes into 34.0b11. Still, nothing broken in my stuff, so that .zip now thrown away.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

jorgev wrote:Again, let me know if you have any compat updates in the queue and I'll make sure they get priority.

Thanks again. I'll be in touch about that, I'll definitely need it (but not yet).

Can you say anything about planned future point releases and what they're about, or point to information about that? I've seen reference to for example 34.0.5/34.1, but nothing concrete.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
jorgev

Post by jorgev »

34.0.5 is a special version number that will be used for the users who will get the new Yahoo! default, and presumably the new search UI from the blog post. These should be people in the US using the en-US locale. The rest will get the normal 34.0 release, which shouldn't have the UI changes. Before we settled on 34.0.5 the idea was to use 34.1 as a version number, but there were additional add-on compatibility concerns.

BTW, Nightly has the new search UI now, at least for the en-US locale.
Jorge Villalobos
Add-ons Developer Relations Lead, Mozilla
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

jorgev wrote:The rest will get the normal 34.0 release, which shouldn't have the UI changes.

Hmmm. That's going to be very confusing. They should have just delivered the changed UI to everyone.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
jindan

Post by jindan »

Frank Lion wrote:Zip build here -

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/en-US/

Yep, makes sense. I stay ahead by using (atm) 36.0a1, so they introduce changes into 34.0b11. Still, nothing broken in my stuff, so that .zip now thrown away.

Yes, thanks you work for me