Thunderstripe for Thunderbird

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

That was it, thanks.
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

This is a great theme. No problems so far.
LJ
My best friend is my wife!!
Political Realities
Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

a few minor updates mainly in the EM/TM as it was changed slightly. see the green in the 1st post.
cmayer

Post by cmayer »

Wow, I'm really proud that people use my theme as base for their own modifications. A very good idea to make Thunderstripe 1.1+ compatible, well done. Actually installed 1.1 and trying to figure out what causes those bugs. But your idea might prove better. We'll see.

Greetings,

Christoph
Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

hey. i was going to pm you, but never got round to it.

its upto you what you want to do, wether you want to start from scratch, or just take my modification if you want to carry on working on it. like i said i dont know much about theming and i only did this so i could use it myself. it would probably be better off in ur hands.
cmayer

Post by cmayer »

I have to admit I don't know much about theming myself. I'm more the icon designer and that's why I used the Winstripe theme CSS and just replaced it's icons. Maybe it's possible to combine the old Thunderdstripe code and the yours. For instance the options dialog could made visible again by inserting all preferences code into Thunderstripe. Useful for this method would be a list of bugs occuring when you use Thunderstripe 1.0.3 on Thunderbird 1.0+. Can anyone provide those information?

Thanks for any effort.

Christoph
Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

Things i found about doing it this way (taking the classic.jar and starting again):
1. any changed code in the default theme ie relating to any code change - recently the EM/TM is easy to find, where as before things were difficult to locate.
2. in the original there was alot of redundent code, and icons - it is now 200kb smaller

the main drawbacks from this:
1. the css from the 1.0 thunderstripe now needs to be successfully imported. (imo though i did no like or care for the cuved headers etc, to me it does not fit in with the cleanness of the theme, but thats my oppinion - maybe it could be added as a subskin?)
2 im not too sure how well it works on 1.0 versions. i need to check it. my family use 1.0 on their pc. will have a look later. ( thinking about it does it NEED to be backwards compatable? surely most people who care about themes will upgrade to 1.5 when it is released?)

so like i say the only changes from 1.0 to 1.5 will be the auto update, new EM/TM and new options menu, well at the moment!

oh and one more thing: in the folder "~\messenger\smime\icons" of the theme what are those icons for? it is a recent addition in 1.5, but what for as we need some winstripey icons...

edit: just added some css to make the header and attachments have the curved border around them like the original thunderstipe. its a work in progress at the moment. please test by adding

Code: Select all

@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/curves.css");
to the top of your userChrome.css. i will probably make this default went done.
cmayer

Proceeding in creating last winstripish icons

Post by cmayer »

Currently I'm working on replacing the last Qute leftovers (or icons shipped with 1.0+) and I can show you the first "preview":

I'm just wondering about the use of the last icon set "zoomImg.png". I found out that it is listed in the "help.css" but as Thunderbird displays no internal Help like Firefox does I couldn't locate it within the interface. Does anyone know about these icons?
scratch

Post by scratch »

i like those new thread icons a lot.
CaptainKopter
Location: Neukirchen-Vluyn, Germany, deep in the middle of nowhere

Re: Proceeding in creating last winstripish icons

Post by CaptainKopter »

cmayer wrote:Currently I'm working on replacing the last Qute leftovers (or icons shipped with 1.0+) and I can show you the first "preview":

Pretty cool, I like it.
cmayer

Post by cmayer »

Nearly finished the icons, replaced the "smime" icons Junior mentioned. I made a new key icon as there was none availible in Winstripe: Do you like it or should I use the lock icon already symbolizing privacy withing the preferences dialog?

Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

hmmm im unsure about the key. maybe have teeth on just the one side?
im thinking it would probably fit in better with the lock icon, as that seems more of a winstripy way :s
cmayer

Post by cmayer »

I changed the key icon so it has just one tooth. Download my current version at

http://deviantblue.de/thunderstripe/thu ... pe.1.1.jar
Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

New updates people. added the new icons, bumped up the install max version, fixed issue with scrollbars, hopefully fixed the alignment in the update window. oh and the is now a linux version as a few things didnt display right, and i use linux myself.

in the future i may add icons on the menu's like cute menus through a subskin. and will try and make the column headers more linuxy.

any comments?
Junior Aspirin

Post by Junior Aspirin »

new update - now the menus have icons, just enable the subskin (see first post). note that this is not finnished yet, i have just quickly thrown it together.
i borrowed the code from CatThief and am currently modifying it.