Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
maxdamage

Re: Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Post by maxdamage »

Anyone? I have been trying to get hold of Brett Bodine from http://www.virtusdesigns.com/ and still no response.I hope by putting his name here he will see it or be notified about it and then he will get hold of me so I can finish fixing the theme and upgrade my copy of Firefox on my pc to a newer version... *SIGH* [-o<
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

At this point it's hard to say how long Themes will even be supported. XUL is being removed from the browser in the next year, and Themes will probably be the first thing to get axed.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

patrickjdempsey wrote:At this point it's hard to say how long Themes will even be supported. XUL is being removed from the browser in the next year, and Themes will probably be the first thing to get axed.

That isn't good news at all. :( Does Mozilla really expect us to just accept all of these weird and wrong changes to the browser and still expect us to still use the browser? Until then I need to get the theme fixed.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Yes. They are really not all that bright anymore.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

I upgraded to Firefox v28.0 and fixed the dev tools plug-ins in the theme so it loads in Firefox v28 properly.Amazingly Google allows me to watch Youtube vids in Firefox v28.0 but the download helper plugin is not picking up the vids for me to download the vids. :@
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Mozilla to boot all plugins from Firefox … except Flash
NPAPI plugins get death date of Christmas 2016

Hrm? Sounds interesting but can that affect themes and or add-ons,etc..?Just asking?

Does anyone who has made themes for Firefox that can help me with fixing the theme's tabs images?They can be seen in the various screenshots of the theme I have posted here.I have sent messages to the creator of the theme and he just simply ignores me or he no longer get the messages???

I just want to "finish" the theme so I can finally upgrade my pc's copy of Firefox to v 28.0 at least.... *SIGH* ](*,)
patrickjdempsey

Ditching plugins is a separate but related issue. Mozilla is completely changing the inner core guts of Firefox to a project called Servo. Servo will not support plugins, and will not support XUL which means it won't support Themes at all, and most current extensions will not work either. They've gone mad I tell you.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Dear Mozilla if by some chance you get to read this post PLEASE stop ruining Firefox!It isn't cool at all!

Thanks.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

I found this portable app that allows you to configure Firefox's about:config settings externally which is cool!Here is the link to the app:Configfox - Freeware Snapfiles or a direct link:Configfox.

Thought it might be useful for someone else here.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Just a small update.I haven't forgotten about the theme.I even tried to contact the author through his facebook page related to his themes and still no response... :( I will go back there and see if I can get the actual owner\author and contact him that way...
patrickjdempsey

Theme support was supposed to be gutted back in December, but Mozilla didn't actually have a plan in place for how to do that. Although personally I think they've placed the cart in front of the horse. They want to have a new theming platform to theme the new interface. The problem is, you have to actually have a new interface before you can do that, and you have to have all of the rendering guts working before you can build a new interface. So who knows how long it will actually take. It could be a few months... it could be 6 years. Who knows.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

I tried the theme I have been working on to see if it would load normally in the latest version of the TOR browser which is based on Firefox v45 but I had installed the classic theme restorer add-on but the Firefox Aero v4.0 theme was completely messed up.I thought it could have been the classic theme restorer but I think it is the TOR\Firefox browser mostly.Still at least I know the theme won't work on the regular version of Firefox v45.

Haven't done any work on the actual theme for a while now.Still trying to contact the author...I understand that he doesn't want to do anything more with Firefox themes but at least contact me so I can "finish" it and fix\maintain it myself.
Lootyhoof

Post by Lootyhoof »

Unfortunately, the best way to fix old themes like this up is to manually compare CSS files between your theme and the default theme. To save a lot of time, usually it's fine to just outright replace the /global and /mozapps directories with the default, save for the icons in /global/icons/ and /mozapps/extensions/ (of course, if anything unusual happens due to this, then you'll need to manually compare those also). Most files in /browser will need manually comparing though most likely.

In general, look for the selectors (e.g. #main-window) in the CSS. If it's in the default theme and not in yours, add it (may require tweaking later if it doesn't look right compared to the rest of the theme, but it'll make things work at least); the same goes for directories and icons too.

Though, be aware of deprecated properties such as -moz-border-radius and -mox-box-shadow; they'll need converting to their modern counterparts, border-radius and box-shadow.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Lootyhoof wrote:Unfortunately, the best way to fix old themes like this up is to manually compare CSS files between your theme and the default theme. To save a lot of time, usually it's fine to just outright replace the /global and /mozapps directories with the default, save for the icons in /global/icons/ and /mozapps/extensions/ (of course, if anything unusual happens due to this, then you'll need to manually compare those also). Most files in /browser will need manually comparing though most likely.

In general, look for the selectors (e.g. #main-window) in the CSS. If it's in the default theme and not in yours, add it (may require tweaking later if it doesn't look right compared to the rest of the theme, but it'll make things work at least); the same goes for directories and icons too.

Though, be aware of deprecated properties such as -moz-border-radius and -mox-box-shadow; they'll need converting to their modern counterparts, border-radius and box-shadow.
Would it be possible to rename for example -moz-border-radius to border-radius and -mox-box-shadow to box-shadow by removing the -moz- from each of the properties and will that work?

Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

maxdamage wrote:Would it be possible to rename for example -moz-border-radius to border-radius and -mox-box-shadow to box-shadow by removing the -moz- from each of the properties and will that work?
You can, but I normally just dupe the lines without the -moz- prefix to maintain backwards compatibility.

Your main problem though is that more than half the toolbar buttons needed for, say, Firefox 47, don't exist at all in a theme made for Firefox 25, like the one you are working on.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)