Addons Manager Restyle

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Addons Manager Restyle

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I haven't looked in Nightly or Aurora yet (SeaMonkey builds are busted for Windows) so I haven't had a chance to explore this yet, but the Addons Manager is getting the same treatment as the inContent Options panel:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2938793

I'm not sure how this will impact themes yet... but since this is shared code it will appear in SeaMonkey and Thunderbird and any other Gecko projects.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Re: Addons Manager Restyle

Here's the meta bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=989469

Just from a cursory glance at the changes, most complete themes will need to be rewritten and any extensions that mod the AOM will also break. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to dramatically rewrite sections of SeaFox. I don't have Firefox development builds installed at this time and SeaMonkey Windows builds are stalled. Anyone running Nightly or Aurora care to look into this more?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I keep Firefox Nightly and Aurora current, and I use Nightly as my, uh, daily browser. Is there anything in particular you want to know?

The AOM in Nightly with NNL is still usable. The only thing I notice off-hand is that the set of category buttons along the side have shifted up. I remember the same thing from in-content preferences: the default theme is using some JS-applied [style] along with code in the theme so the top edge can move up or down based on window height, and we'll need code changes for that here too. Also, I need to add code for signing-related UI; I can see that in the AOM.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
patrickjdempsey

Yeah, I'm looking at it now with some old themes. Looks like the redesign uses all the same names for everything so themes don't need updating unless they were doing really advanced changes.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yeah, I'm looking at it now with some old themes. Looks like the redesign uses all the same names for everything so themes don't need updating unless they were doing really advanced changes.

Hmmm... I hardly hack the addons manager to offer tiles and/or list views. I hope this isn't broken at all, actually I'm very proud of that... :D
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
patrickjdempsey

My hacks were broken, but I'm doing some pretty extreme stuff to make it look like 3.x-style.
patrickjdempsey

Something new coming down the pipe:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1161183

Due to the extra-large fonts and that 40px wide gutter all the way around the Addons Manager, apparently titles are getting cropped. So the idea for fixing that is to hide the extension version number. That seems fairly well like a disaster to me, and I'm hoping that decision gets reversed.

Since the changes are happening at least partially in XBL, it might be possible for a theme to append the binding and restore the version numbers. Specifically this looks like it might be able to be reversed:

Code: Select all

<xul:label anonid="name" class="name" crop="end" flex="1"
-                   xbl:inherits="value=name,tooltiptext=name"/>
-       <xul:label anonid="version" class="version"/>
+                  tooltip="addonitem-tooltip" xbl:inherits="value=name"/>
patrickjdempsey

So here is the existing binding code:

<xul:hbox class="name-container">
    <xul:label anonid="name" class="name" crop="end" flex="1" tooltip="addonitem-tooltip" xbl:inherits="value=name"/>
    <xul:label class="disabled-postfix" value="(disabled)"/>
    <xul:label class="update-postfix" value="Update"/>
    <xul:spacer flex="5000"/><!-- Necessary to make the name crop -->
</xul:hbox>

It should technically be possible to mod the binding like this:

<xul:hbox class="name-container">
    <xul:label anonid="name" class="name" crop="end" flex="1" xbl:inherits="value=name,tooltiptext=name"/>
    <xul:label anonid="version" class="version" value="addonitem-tooltip" tooltip="addonitem-tooltip"/>
    <xul:label class="disabled-postfix" value="(disabled)"/>
    <xul:label class="update-postfix" value="Update"/>
    <xul:spacer flex="5000"/><!-- Necessary to make the name crop -->
</xul:hbox>
Aris

Post by Aris »

Unfortunately it is not possible to restore the version number like this. The version number in "addonitem-tooltip" gets only read/created, when the tooltip event is triggered. I just tried your method and it does only add "addonitem-tooltip" after the add-on name.

However, using the "addon-generic" binding from "extensions.xml" of an older Fx version combined with the following code does restore the add-on version number:

#addon-list .addon:not([type="userstyle"])[status="installed"] {
  -moz-binding: url("chrome://path/to/old/extensions.xml#addon-generic") !important;
}

Place old extensions.xml somewhere within your add-on/theme or on hdd and link to it.

ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Exalm

Post by Exalm »

SeaMonkey Modern is broken:
Other themes that provide default or close to default styling are broken as well.
The worst thing is that it seems necessary to clone the whole mozapps/ skin if one wants to make a theme compatible with both old and new versions. :/

Edit: Heh, it seems that layout was not changed too much. In fact, I was able to fix my modern-based theme with changing literally 2 things: #view-port-container → #view-port and increasing top margin of #categories.
In this case it's enough to provide a small style for new versions. However, larger hacks are most probably still broken.
patrickjdempsey

I wouldn't characterize that as "broken"... heck, it still looks better than the restyle IMO.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

My theme was also not badly affected...

patrickjdempsey

Aris wrote:Place old extensions.xml somewhere within your add-on/theme or on hdd and link to it.

Looks like the part of extensions.xml that actually does that work is <implementation> stuff which I do not think is allowed in a theme because it's JavaScript. It *might* pass review for SeaMonkey AMO but almost certainly not on Firefox AMO. It's going to require an extension to restore that on Firefox, and I haven't discussed this really with Philip or anyone, but once SeaMonkey is building again on Windows they might want to actually fix this. I know they like to do as little as possible with toolkit stuff since it's shared code but they might have to start doing their own thing with the addons manager.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:It *might* pass review for SeaMonkey AMO but almost certainly not on Firefox AMO.

The review is done by the same people. I got Lightbird extension (now it's for SeaMonkey and Thunderbird, back then it was for SeaMonkey only) reviewed by Jorge Villalobos. (and had a lengthy discussion about why I have to use general.startup.calendar preference and cannot change the name)