I'm hoping to get rid of heavy themes anyway since that is a

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Philip Chee

I'm hoping to get rid of heavy themes anyway since that is a

Post by Philip Chee »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1176703#c15
This patch is simpler, and simple is better here. I'm hoping to get rid of heavy themes anyway since that is a necessary part of kill-XUL, and then the problem will just go away.

Phil
mcdavis

Re: I'm hoping to get rid of heavy themes anyway since that

Post by mcdavis »

Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.

XUL and themes are two different things. Kill-XUL is a separate issue from themes.

I've been trying for years to work out a way to reach through people's monitors and make Firefox developers write the code I need with the power of my mind alone. Still nothing.

If people put as much energy into protecting, supporting and nurturing as they do into slashing and killing, we'd have a lot of really happy theme developers now, happily making themes for happy users instead of feeling like the last of the Replicants. "This is for Zhora. This is for Pris."

It's really not that hard. A themes-capable Firefox is surprisingly easy. All you have to do is want it.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The absolutely insanely stupid thing about that is there is no such thing as killing Themes. Because all a Theme author has to do is package it into an extension. They are the same fracking thing. And when they kill XUL it will still be possible with CSS overrides. The only reason Mozilla views Themes as cumbersome is because they have made really bad decisions about how they should work. If they actually had any kind of imagination or problem-solving skills they could have designed a theming system ages ago that wouldn't even care if it was styling XUL or HTML. The only difficult part is that HTML is complete crap for layout so the post-XU/XBL Firefox will have a ton of basic layout crap clogging up the appearance stuff, which will make it even less flexible and more difficult to work on.

All they had to do was add a skin package that only contains the main toolbar buttons and toolbar and tab styles and 99% of what users want out of a Theme would be buildable by a 5th grader. That part of the code is also probably XUL/HTML agnostic so as long as they keep the classes and IDs the same it would just roll-over to the new system. But no. They had to make it into a huge monster with miles of unnecessary code, and hardcoded image paths that's so complicated that even the guys who built it don't appear to really understand it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I have never figured out why they are so openly hostile to Themes. Before they took the wind out of it by that persona = themes crap it was a big community that really didn't cause them any pain outside of what they did themselves. It isn't like they cared all that much for the default theme.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Themes are the least of it. Mozilla is axing the entire XUL extension ecosystem including Jetpack SDKs in the next 12-18 months:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08 ... x-add-ons/
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/