SeaMonkey Theme Changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
rsx11m

SeaMonkey Theme Changes

Post by rsx11m »

I'm opening this thread for discussions and alert on significant theme changes in SeaMonkey, e.g., things like viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2954291 on departures from the course Firefox imposes on Toolkit which should be relevant for SeaMonkey theme developers.
rsx11m

Re: SeaMonkey Theme Changes

Post by rsx11m »

I've filed a bunch of bugs to revert about: pages affected by Toolkit's Chameleon Project style changes to their accustomed appearance in the classic/default theme. Any change there should no longer affect theme developers.
  • Bug 1222816 - Restore about:config UI (Config Editor) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
  • Bug 1222817 - Restore about:addons UI (Addons Manager) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
  • Bug 1222818 - Restore about:support UI (Troubleshooting Information) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Thanks for the heads-up, it's appreciated. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

If your themes are not showing scrollbar arrows in Linux, then here's the fix - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 269145#c15

The bug is mainly caused by the way Linux OS themers are not quite doing their stuff right, but as it can be fixed at our end then that doesn't matter.

I vaguely remember that sbattr= stuff in scrollbars.css from years back and didn't know what it did then either. Same way that we all just copy tree.css and don't know what half of that stuff does either. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:
  • Bug 1222816 - Restore about:config UI (Config Editor) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
This landed a while ago and should be effective with the upcoming 2.45 release.
  • Bug 1222818 - Restore about:support UI (Troubleshooting Information) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
This landed just recently on trunk for 2.48, with a follow-up bug pending to style the buttons more OS-like with the default theme (Bug 1296433).
zinist

Post by zinist »

for the gtk3 comm-beta builds I fixed some tab bugs in a first try

other things that need fixing are the horizontal category dividers in pulldown menus

.tabbrowser-tab {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0 !important;
height: 25px;
color: grey !important;
border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;
padding: 2px !important;
margin: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0 !important;
height: 25px;
color: black !important;
border-width: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
background-color: red;
padding: 1px 1px 1px 5px !important;
// font-weight: bold !important;
margin: 1px 1px 0px 1px !important;
}
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

zinist wrote:for the gtk3 comm-beta builds I fixed some tab bugs in a first try
SeaMonkey releases for Linux should still be based on gtk2 to avoid theme issues with gtk3 (but that still needs a patch to not require glib 2.30 to build in that case, using a workaround for lower glib versions installed on LTS distros).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

In SM 2.46, there's an odd bug in the Addons Manager where the category icons for Extensions, Themes and Dictionaries in a Complete Theme don't show up.

I've had this in Firefox as well, and the reason they don't show is that the list-style-image defined for these do not actually exist! Look at default's - chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/ folder and tell me where category-extensions.svg, etc are in there? They don't exist, yet somehow default manages to show them.

Rather than agonizing over the whys of this, just point your stuff to images that do exist and all will be well -

Code: Select all

#category-extension > .category-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/extensionGeneric.svg") !important;
}

#category-theme > .category-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/themeGeneric.png") !important;
}

#category-dictionary > .category-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/dictionaryGeneric.png") !important;
}
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

In SM version 2.49.1 (and beyond) your attention is drawn to this -
Quotes are now colored differently in Mails up to 5 levels deep depending on your OS. See bug 1374708. This may break custom themes for email composition because a new style sheet named "messageQuotes.css" has been added.
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... .49.1/#new
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

A default dropmarker fix* done for SeaMonkey 2.49.2 may result in too much blank space at the right hand end of urlbar/searchbar, if you are using your own dropmarker styling there.

The fix is -

Code: Select all

.autocomplete-history-dropmarker {
	min-width: unset !important;
}
Obviously, the good thing about using unset there, as opposed to using your own specific width value, is that it's not going to mess up your backwards compat. to previous SM versions or mess up other OS platforms.

I'm damned sure I'm the only one who actually reads this thread (despite me noticing some pretty glaring faults in some SM themes). Not that I'm bothered, it serves as a useful reminder to, er, me and so 'has value'. :)

* a slightly 'unusual' fix used there, I thought.
Dan Kies
Location: Subjunctive {Sydney, NYC, Chicago, Paris} Indicative {Hell}

Post by Dan Kies »

Hello Frank,

Don't be so sure that you are the only one who reads this thread.

Right now, I am so grateful that rsx11m and you compile this list of theme changes for SeaMonkey and maintain this thread. You have saved me hours of hunting through bugzilla reports trying to find the reason why the mailnews compose window was broken in my home-grown theme (a personal hobby that taught me so much about CSS) in SeaMonkey 2.49.2. (I had skipped 2.49 and 2.49.1)

Thank you both, rsx11m and Frank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Dan Kies wrote:Hello Frank,

Don't be so sure that you are the only one who reads this thread.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting me know. :)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

11:35
frg_away
WG9s As far as I see it Mozilla just trashed the full theming api. Only default theme should work starting in 61+ now. They could really be proud of themself.
11:36
frg_away
Bug 1448221
11:36
thebot
Bug bugzilla.mozilla.org/1448221 nor, --, mozilla61, kmaglione+bmo, RESO FIXED, Remove platform support for restart-required installs
11:37
WG9s
frg_away: well i never really iked the way theming worked. you should never have been forced to build a full theme. themes should have always been incremental cahnges to the defualt theme. so the old concept was really breain damaged but it has existed for so long it still seems ditching it is nto the way forward.
11:39
WG9s
frg_away: but the problem with theses the way they have always been is you need to define everything rahter than i want to override this part of the defualt theme in my theme. IT firstly makes it hard to write a theme and secondly leaves you with a maintenance update as new ui elements are added your theme jsut no longer really works rather than reverting to deafualt for the new stuff.
11:41
frg_away
WG9s you are right but at least there was a concept. Now it is just nothing. Seeme to be the mozilla way to rip out things without a replacement these days.
SM devs might find it easier to dev SM if they first understood that since 2014 the method of making Complete Themes has changed, i.e. some themes now overlay the default, instead of replacing the default.

That's what all the 'flexes and automatically adjusts to changes' stuff was about. They also take 10% of the time to create and maintain.

Even Mozilla's Kris M knows all about them, so I reckon it's about time the SM devs did. Especially as SM already has a Complete Theme, Modern, with it by default.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Incidentally.....I had taken for granted that the SM devs already knew this, but seems not.

There are sad SM faces because Firefox has removed the theming api and so that means the end of the alternative SM theme, Modern and indeed all the rest. Not so, for the last 5 months now it has been possible (and has been done) to make an entire Complete Theme using only the profile's chrome folder and re-inventing the wheel on the files within it and adding, if required, some additional files.

Point is, so long as SM can keep its chrome folder, and the files within it, alive and well then the making of Complete Themes is very much possible in SM.
frg

Post by frg »

Well with bugs like these there probably won't be much left of Gecko in the near future to build a suite (or mail program) upon:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1444685
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1446341

If we survive the ESR60 cycle and the next one still contains enough code to continue we will look into the theme issue. I wouldn't count on being able to use the userxxx files for theming much longer. Reading comments the mozilla gods are angry and the word 'abused' is used frequently when it comes to them :) If functionality is removed from Gecko and can't be recreated in the frontend it is game over for the user.... files.

FRG