Product plan: remove support for heavyweight themes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
ehume

Re: Product plan: remove support for heavyweight themes

Post by ehume »

The problem I have is that FF 55 is shipping with the old theme in two omni.ja files. Normally I would derive my theme from the default but I don't know what code to look for. I don't even know how it is packaged.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ehume wrote:The problem I have is that FF 55 is shipping with the old theme in two omni.ja files. Normally I would derive my theme from the default but I don't know what code to look for. I don't even know how it is packaged.
I'm afraid I can't help you there. As you know, my Firefox themes use a different method to that of conventionally coded themes, so I haven't needed to look at that. Plus, I'm told, that they are still working OK in Firefox 56, so figured I wouldn't need to.

Maybe you could write directly to another themer who who still doing this stuff? I say that as I don't think you'll get many answers here these days.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lootyhoof

Post by Lootyhoof »

ehume wrote:The problem I have is that FF 55 is shipping with the old theme in two omni.ja files. Normally I would derive my theme from the default but I don't know what code to look for. I don't even know how it is packaged.
The omni.ja files are .zip files, but packaged a little differently. They should open fine in most zip viewers though (7zip works here). There should be two omni.ja files, one in the root folder and one in /browser. If you're looking for theme stuff, they should be here:

/browser: in omni.ja in /browser, navigate to chrome/browser/skin/classic/browser/
/global: in omni.ja in root folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Firefox\), navigate to chrome/toolkit/skin/classic/global/
/mozapps: in omni.ja in root folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Firefox\), navigate to chrome/toolkit/skin/classic/mozapps/

As mentioned though, these themes will be useless when Firefox 57 arrives.

As for your other question...
ehume wrote:Especially on how to modify an old theme to work with the new Firefox
Do you mean Firefox 57+? As far as I know that's pretty much just getting a slightly more involved version of lightweight themes (see here).

If you mean for Firefox 55 (or others)...there's never been any documentation, just a case of checking what's changed in the CSS.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I have read that page. It is full of vague generalities. If I follow that I can put all of my themes to bed in months. I will then be stuck with Mozilla's drab and tiny default theme. As for the link to WebExtensions API, that page has way more than one needs to make themes.

I am only interested in themes that will work on FF 57+. There seems to be no guide for something that limited.
ehume

Post by ehume »

If anyone knows how to change the sizes of the icons and the text, please post.