The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
tanstaafl

Re: The End

Post by tanstaafl »

Eileen's Lounge appears to be running a version of phpBB from 2007. The last post in its Mozilla Firefox forum that wasn't an announcement by the admin was almost a month ago. Since it doesn't have a reputation, and is not focused on either Mozilla apps or "browsers and email clients", that makes it hard to attract much of the community.

"Kerz says the knowledge base will remain online and searchable. So between those two things it would almost be the same as what happens here."

Sadly, not true. If the KB articles are not maintained/updated the wiki's value decreases greatly, over time. There are also a lot of sub-communities on this web site, most of which have their own forum. That helps attract experts. A single Mozilla Firefox forum with no wiki is nowhere near the same.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

JYLD wrote:
videobruce wrote:
costark wrote:http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=32
Would you Significant "expert" Contributors PLEASE take a look at Eileen's Lounge above that I have visited mostly for Win 10 (Clk Portal/ Board Index for Forums list).
Eileen's lounge uses what appears to be the same exact BBS software as MozillaZine. Checkout http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=36 .

It seems to me that the users here would follow wherever our great moderators chose to go. If the moderators were to work out setting up at Eileen's Lounge (or any other similar place), then the users here would follow. Kerz offered already to have this url forward to any replacement url most people agreed upon. Something like setting up for questions, answers, and comments at a place like Eileen's lounge for example would allow the postings and conversations to continue just as they have gone on here. Kerz says the knowledge base will remain online and searchable. So between those two things it would almost be the same as what happens here.

Just a thought, but I'm not optimistic that enough of the necessary cats around here can be hearded all in the same direction. It would be nice if I was wrong about that.
Eileen's lounge is Crapola, an this forum could go at any time so someone needs to put a backup in place.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

tanstaafl wrote:Eileen's Lounge appears to be running a version of phpBB from 2007. The last post in its Mozilla Firefox forum that wasn't an announcement by the admin was almost a month ago. Since it doesn't have a reputation, and is not focused on either Mozilla apps or "browsers and email clients", that makes it hard to attract much of the community.

1. Eileen's Lounge was just one suggestion. The fact that it doesn't have high traffic might be a plus. Maybe they would be easy to talk into duplicating the entire MozillaZine forum structure on their site and making the mods here mods there. Then it would be exactly like this forum.

2. Moving to an existing site that uses the same software from a user standpoint satisfies those who have expressed a desire to keep something like what we have here in terms of look and feel.

3. As for the knowledge base couldn't a new knowledge base be created that gets added to as we move forward. So we would have the old database and the new one. Two searches for complete coverage but better than nothing.

I'm only throwing out these suggestions because it is quite apparent that Kerz is not going to cooperate in transferring ownership to any other person, and time is getting critical. If all or a good majority of the mods don't publicly agree to all start hanging out somewhere else and get the word out to the membership here, then here is going to die with no replacement. Everyone wants to complain about any and all suggestions, which means this place will die with no replacement.

And let me make sure I'm clear about one thing. The most important thing.

The most valuable asset at this forum is the group of highly dedicated and knowledgeable moderators who serve here without pay or remuneration with such dedication. The second most valuable asset here are those highly knowledgeable members who help others and share their knowledge. People like Frank Lion and Morat and many others whom I don't know of yet. Call them the "Stellar" members.

The mods (and the Stellar" members) as a group have all the power. If they were smart enough to act together to set up a forum/board (or arrange to move to an already existing board with Eileen's Lounge just being one possible suggestion) where the majority of them publicly move and set up shop, then the majority of the community here will follow them to the new location. Its just that simple, but it requires the mods and Stellar members getting together and making it happen. Waiting for Kerz to agree to transfer ownership to some other perosn or group of persons is in my opinion a pipe dream. If Kerz were amenable to doing this, he would be participating on this thread with those offering to make the transition. It isn't going to happen. That means the backup plan needs to be the second best choice. That second best choice doesn't depend on Kerz. It depends on the majority of the mods and Stellar members agreeing to move to some other location where they can be the mods at the new location.

Sadly I have no confidence it will happen. Its very difficult to get a group of cats to form a heard and move in the same direction all on their own. Just too many shiny object distractions.
Last edited by JYLD on October 13th, 2019, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Mouse4 wrote:Eileen's lounge is Crapola, an this forum could go at any time so someone needs to put a backup in place.
And the band played on.... The cats are indeed hard to heard. That is a given.

The house is on fire, and everyone wants the fire department to use a different hose and manner of fighting the fire.

Everyone will still be bitching and moaning (without actually doing anything) right up till the time the lights go out.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

JYLD--
I believe much of the membership will move together. This forum is iconic.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on October 14th, 2019, 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I just sent a message to Ian Neal:

"Have you had any discussions with Kerz? Or did you lose interest?

If the roadblock is converting the existing forums on old dedicated machines to a OSL centrally managed virtual machine we'd prefer not to lose the ability to search/browse the old threads, but as long as Kerz archived them somewhere that's okay. Ditto for the wiki. As long as the wiki is archived editors such as myself could migrate/convert KB articles to whatever the replacement wiki is.

i.e. We could get by with a home that has brand new (empty) forums and a brand new (empty) wiki. Its the community that matters most"
IanN_MZ

Post by IanN_MZ »

...and I have responded and I am still interested. Making contact with Kerz was on my to-do list this week (so thanks to tanstaafl for the prompt/work so far). My preference would be to keep the existing messages and wiki as well as the community together but that does depend on the upgrade routes available which I should be able to find out once I have access to the systems and information from OSL.
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

It's been a long ride. Thank you for everything.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

IanN_MZ wrote:...and I have responded and I am still interested. Making contact with Kerz was on my to-do list this week (so thanks to tanstaafl for the prompt/work so far). My preference would be to keep the existing messages and wiki as well as the community together but that does depend on the upgrade routes available which I should be able to find out once I have access to the systems and information from OSL.
Am pleased to see this. :)
IMHO this looks like that the forum may still continue on. :D
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

If Ian doesn't get a quick and positive response, then the mods and stellar members need to put a second choice backup plan into place, before its too late. Assuming they are interested in keeping the forum and community together.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

THANK YOU to Jason aka kerz for your many years here at mozillaZine it's greatly appreciated. :)
21 years! :shock: That is indeed impressive. :D
Am patiently awaiting the outcome after Ian talks with Jason about taking over as admin.
Have a positive feeling about this. :wink:
HansV

Post by HansV »

Hi all,

I am HansV, one of the administrators at http://www.eileenslounge.com - a small but friendly discussion board running on phpBB3 that has been mentioned in this thread.
I cannot send PMs (yet) so I'm posting here. If any of the moderators would like to discuss some kind of cooperation, feel free to contact me. If not (which wouldn't surprise me, given the less than enthusiastic comments), no hard feelings!
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I hope this form stays, the is the best Firefox community.
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Agreed. And Thunderbird.