Charamel "artfully" gone

Discuss application theming and theme development.
hindsfeet

Post by hindsfeet »

lucx, there are many who are grateful for your work. I love your work and appreciate all the time and effort that has gone into the Charamel theme. I wish that I had the funds as I to would be more than willing to contribute to this project. There will always be those who complain and demand and their voices are often the loudest while those of us who appreciate the beauty of your theme are often to quiet. I am sorry if I have not said thank you before now. I enjoy beautiful things and your theme is certainly that. I will be very sorry to see this theme disappear into nothingness--Your artistry and talent deserve more than that! But I also understand when the burden of the ungrateful becomes too heavy to bear. God be with you in whatever you do in your life lucx.

Sincerely,

hindsfeet
maidesihoon

Post by maidesihoon »

I second what hindsfeet has nicely put.
lucx, your theme and your work has been my favorite ever since it came out. So much so I haven't updated FF to 2.0 waiting to hear from you about the updates. We do appreciate your work very much. May not have had the best means to communicate the same but rest assured we are very grateful.

Don't let your motivation shake because of people not being able to communicate their appreciation! Let me say on everyone's behalf - You rock mate and thanks for your contribution :-)

Let it not die!

#Desi
denro

Post by denro »

I add my commendation and thanks to the others above for the beautiful work and my hope that it will continue as you have time.
-- Denro
MechR

Post by MechR »

Charamel's been one of my favorites, too, ever since I came across it :) I hope you'll reconsider, but I'll understand if you don't feel like it.
lucx

Post by lucx »

<dirtylaundry>
Noia Extreme appears one month after Charamel with shocking similarities. 2.75 years later, it still uses the old Charamel progressbar; fills me with rage.
</dirtylaundry>
<triva>
35.58% of Charamel visitors come from Japan.
</triva>
<youdontdoitformoney>
Each click on a Google ad pays for 2 seconds of development.
</youdontdoitformoney>
<charamel>
Because it was personally satisfying.

</charamel>
Gab38

Post by Gab38 »

hi all

Like many and many users, I hope and I'm waiting for the update of this fantastic theme.

Please lucx, you are the best, do it !!
Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

lucx wrote:<charamel>
Because it was personally satisfying.

</charamel>

I think that says alot, to me anyway. You don't really get into it(theme) as much as you once did and I can understand that. As to modern day themers ripping your code, How do you feel about the new Firefox 2.0 theme, mainly the tabs?
Old Meow

Post by Old Meow »

lucx wrote:35.58% of Charamel visitors come from Japan.

hehe maybe lucx is some incredibly popular anime-girl in Japan ;)

anyway, we know the net is a filthy place, best bet is to have the others
trailing...as long as your stuff is the one others copy from, you still win :)
san·guin'i·ty <--*pokes*

why did you take charamel off the extensions-site back then?
Sabin

My encouragement

Post by Sabin »

In reply, if I remember right, the licensing around firefox themes would mean abandoning rights or intellectual property, something like that, which quite a few theme creators refused.

Now, @ Lucx :

Well, Lucx, if you do not have pleasure in developing this, it's natural you shouldn't force yourself to do that.
If it was just about money, I don't earn much but I could consider a small donation around a dozen euros, as I do when projects I like are in dire straits or simply need encouragements to keep on developing themselves - but it doesn't seem to be about that.
If people bitch you too much about that, it's alas natural, as soon as you're well-known or in public position you'll be harassed by immature or self-centered persons, I have known that professionally. We need to cope with that as long as we can, and when it's too much, returning to the shadow is the only solution.

However, if you are certain not to wish to continue, would you agree to some people using your latest theme data to continue this ? .
If there was an _official_ acceptation, that would be much better than people manually editing a few files and then finally rewriting install.rdf, that could trigger talented people to maintain FF compatibility.
But I could understand that you don't want a project to live on after you leave it, it's as much logical as the opposite.

And finally, whatever happens to that theme, I want to express my gratitude to you and your work, you made the browsing experience of many people better. Thank you.
hindsfeet

Post by hindsfeet »

I am seriously having Charamel withdrawals.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hindsfeet wrote:I am seriously having Charamel withdrawals.

I suspect that Charamel has "artfully" gone.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
xebechene

Post by xebechene »

Whatever people are saying, in my eyes your theme is the very best!

Have a good time with what you are doing now, with your close ones :)
Btw this is for lucx, but also for everyone ;)
Merry Xmas, Happy New Year, or whatever !
n8dtb

Charamel is my fave!

Post by n8dtb »

Just wanted to add my $0.02 that Charamel is a lovely theme and my personal favorite. I miss it mightily in FF2.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

I would LOVE to see Charamel updated for Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5 and 2.0. Maybe someone can fix the way it displays extensions and themes in the EM/TM windows. That's the only bug I have with the theme. It's a beautiful and functional otherwise.
F.M.R

Post by F.M.R »

Don't know what it worths, but here I am joining my voice to the choir. Luckx, please, update Charamel for us. Don't leave us in this limbo.
Fernando (FMR)