Qute is in - skin authors read this.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
alanjstr

Re: what a pity

Post by alanjstr »

sgipan wrote:
cdn wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
sgipan wrote:I liked the modified orbit theme better than qute

Hopefully someone will release the modified version. I think it was cdn.

I will be uploading the 'Classic' from Px 0.4 to themes.m.o

Any news on that? No hassle, just eager to get back to my favourite interface ;)
--sgipan

Px Classic on Phoenix Help.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

scratch wrote:
Neil Parks wrote:IMNSHO, the former default Phoenix theme that looked like Orbit should never have been called "classic" in the first place.

why not?

Because it never looked like a "classic". I would have expected a "classic" from Phoenix to be similar to Mozilla's "classic".
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

"classic" just means the default because that is how it has been coded. Some day they'll get around to modifying it to be "default" or something like that.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Neil Parks wrote:
scratch wrote:
Neil Parks wrote:IMNSHO, the former default Phoenix theme that looked like Orbit should never have been called "classic" in the first place.

why not?

Because it never looked like a "classic". I would have expected a "classic" from Phoenix to be similar to Mozilla's "classic".

so to be a classic it has to look like netscape 4, no matter what program it is?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

"classic" generally means "traditionally recognised". Given that Phoenix and Mozilla are so intertwiced, having a different "classic" theme on both is confusing. It should never have been called "classic" on Phoenix, it should have been "Orbit modified" or something from the beginning. It was presumably only kept "classic" because it would have required a lot of mucking with code to get it working from the beginning.

- Chris
gossg

No backlist buttons in most themes?

Post by gossg »

I am an IE user, just adapting to a new browser. The fat blobs in Moz / Netscape were one of the things that kept me away. Never underestimate the value of a clean interface. I took the Dec 26 build, and never realized that the (default) UI was only cleaned up two (holi)days earlier. I like the Qute look in windows. To whoever hated the gray -- the UI should get out of your way and let you see what's important. Gray does that. I dunno if the screenshot in the themes manager has been fixed since the 26th, but I see that the best minds are already on it.

My complaint is that most of the themes seem to be designed without the traceback list buttons. I cannot live without these, and their lack means that I cannot use the various minimalist attempts. Is there a gesture or "trick" to coax the list out of the singleton back button that is non-obvious to me?
flii

Post by flii »

did you try right-clicking the forward/backward buttons?
gossg

Post by gossg »

Flii wrote:did you try right-clicking the forward/backward buttons?

OK, that works. It conflicts a bit with the way I think, but I guess that's why we have downloadable themes. (grin).

To my reflexes, the right button means "what commands can I issue against this object?". A toolbar button (to this mindset) is not an object but rather a command. And the concept of "what commands can I issue against this command" is foreign to a windows user.

I guess that the Linux community, in the tradition of forty page "man" books may find the idea of issuing a command to a command more natural than I do. I never even thought of trying it.

The functionality is there. From here it's just opinion on UI design, and I can choose the design that works for my mindset. Of course all the best computer wars center on small differences of UI design. (grin) Thanks for a quick answer.
flii

Post by flii »

we've had several threads mention the diff between an extra button and the right-click feature. personally i love right-clicking because i have the same clickable space (instead of a smaller button for extra pages), it sets off a different mindset, plus it takes up less room. for all that know me, they know that last option is the most important one for me personally. ;) i've found that i like it though, for whatever reasons, and i actually get mad at ie for making me have that extra button. lol.
Tutor

Re: Qute is in - skin authors read this.

Post by Tutor »

kerz wrote:ps, please post bugs on the qute changes in this thread!

Hi,

not sure if this belongs here, but don't know better.

Qute and Digger have issues. If Qute is the actual theme and I want to customize the button layout to include Digger, I see 33 icons of Qute instead of something for Digger. If I have had a theme with a Digger icon selected once, I can drag these 33 icons as one into the button bar and see the Digger icon of the once selected theme.

Furthermore I can't revert to the built in Qute per selecting Classic in Preferences/Themes - just nothing happens, the preferences dialog stays open when I click OK, though the preview is garbled. So I downloaded the extra Qute 0.8.2 which brings me back.

I have about 7 themes installed and these extensions:
Mouse Gestures, Nuke Image, Text Links, Tabbrowser, Digger

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021228 Phoenix/0.5

Best wishes and thanks for the great work
Tutor
alanjstr

Re: Qute is in - skin authors read this.

Post by alanjstr »

Tutor wrote:Qute and Digger have issues. If Qute is the actual theme and I want to customize the button layout to include Digger, I see 33 icons of Qute instead of something for Digger. If I have had a theme with a Digger icon selected once, I can drag these 33 icons as one into the button bar and see the Digger icon of the once selected theme.

I ran into that problem with mozEngineer. I think I had to swap to the Large Icon Set to get it to pick up the correct icon. Digger does come with its own icon, but I think something kinda broke somewhere.

Furthermore I can't revert to the built in Qute per selecting Classic in Preferences/Themes

Known bug. The only way I've found to go back to classic is to uninstall the other themes.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Known bug. The only way I've found to go back to classic is to uninstall the other themes.

Uninstall the theme you are using, it will force default and you can keep your themes.
Chris Cook

v0.8.3 comments

Post by Chris Cook »

Qute is becoming useable but at least 2 things (1.5 really) keep me from considering it as good enough to be the default.

1. The lack of separators between the menu and toolbars is quite non-standard. This alone would keep me from using it.
2. The style for non browser tabs (those in the pageinfo or prefs dialogs) seems to have been affected by changes made for the browser tabs.
old Neil Parks

Re: v0.8.3 comments

Post by old Neil Parks »

Chris Cook wrote:The style for non browser tabs (those in the pageinfo or prefs dialogs) seems to have been affected by changes made for the browser tabs.

That isn't necessarily a theme-specific condition. I use Pinball, and I customized my userchrome.css so that the active tab has bold blue text, and any other tabs don't.

Turns out that non-browser tabs (such as the "Themes and Extensions" under Preferences) now bear the same colors. (And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.)
alanjstr

Re: v0.8.3 comments

Post by alanjstr »

Chris Cook wrote:The style for non browser tabs (those in the pageinfo or prefs dialogs) seems to have been affected by changes made for the browser tabs.

That depends on how specific the change to the css is. If you say that only apply it to a child of tabbed browsing, then it appears in the browser portion only. If you don't, it applies to all tabs.