MozillaZine

Qute is in - skin authors read this.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
alanjstr
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 9100
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 4:43 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Post Posted January 15th, 2003, 1:28 pm

cdn wrote:it was a tongue-in-cheek reply ; )


Ah. I just know how to ftp. My versioning control consists of naming files .bak1, .bak2... (when I remember)
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

alanjstr
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 9100
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 4:43 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Post Posted January 15th, 2003, 9:12 pm

Well, I now have cygwin's CVS downloading the source code.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted January 16th, 2003, 11:33 am

I've just started to play with WinCVS, thanks to cdn. I have managed to upload a screenshot thumbnail, so in the future, I'll probably be able to upload (and host) both theme jars and screenshots for all themes.

MoNkaholic

User avatar
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 8:21 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 5:23 pm

As of 02/07 Classic is no longer a choice in the themes preference, it has been replaced with Phoenix.

Nice way to keep the name Phoenix somewhere in the application. :D

Now if only Phoenix would get updated, since Qute is a bit ahead of Phoenix as we speak (Qute 1.0 has skinned options for everything except general/connections, and has the new stop/delete buttons).

I guess maybe it will get updated whenever 0.6 comes out. :(

MoNkaholic

User avatar
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 8:21 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted February 8th, 2003, 6:57 pm

Arvid, I've been wondering... why is it that the down arrows next to the back and forward buttons lack on hover/on press states?

Lacking such states make them appear a bit too static, almost as if clicking them would yield no reaction at all.

Just wondering if there was a reason for it, or if this was merely something you were holding off for later.

asa

User avatar
 
Posts: 684
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 4:16 pm
Location: CA

Post Posted February 8th, 2003, 11:39 pm

On Linux the hover for the back and forward menubuttons isn't quite right. I don't have a windows machine right now so I can't check there. I compared the latest Phoenix theme with Luna Blue and Luna Blue seems to get the hover state looking better than Phoenix/Qute.

The problem I see is that the menu part of the button, the dropdown arrow part, seems to wrap all the way around the back button part.

<img src="http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/asa/images/menubutton.png">

Does anyone else see this? Can someone that knows themes look at the CSS Luna Blue is using and see if it is applicable to Phoenix/Qute?

--Asa

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 3:45 am

There are definitely problems with the hover state of the drop-down arrow buttons. They work perfectly on WinXP with the Luna theme, but with the Classic theme the buttons don't have a hover state at all.

On Red Hat 8, as Asa pointed out, there is an additional border around the actual back button. Looks kinda funny.

Anyway, the Luna Blue theme does not use native toolbar hover states, I think. It's designed to emulate the XP Luna hover state on all systems. I don't know if that's the way to go.

MoNkaholic

User avatar
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 8:21 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 4:24 am

Well heres how it looks in windows.

Image

Chris Cook

User avatar
 
Posts: 898
Joined: December 14th, 2002, 9:57 am
Location: Québec, Canada

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:25 am

djst wrote:There are definitely problems with the hover state of the drop-down arrow buttons. They work perfectly on WinXP with the Luna theme, but with the Classic theme the buttons don't have a hover state at all.

On Red Hat 8, as Asa pointed out, there is an additional border around the actual back button. Looks kinda funny.

Anyway, the Luna Blue theme does not use native toolbar hover states, I think. It's designed to emulate the XP Luna hover state on all systems. I don't know if that's the way to go.

This is correct. Luna Blue uses non-native styles to get the widgets to look the same regardless of OS theme. The luna theme style will get you closer, and looks good in non WinXP themes though it isn't quite perfect (i.e. exactly the same) in the WinXP OS theme.

If Arvid would like some input I would be happy to give it.

Arvid Axelsson
 
Posts: 254
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:07 pm

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 8:17 am

Chris Cook wrote:If Arvid would like some input I would be happy to give it.
Yes, I would.

Chris Cook

User avatar
 
Posts: 898
Joined: December 14th, 2002, 9:57 am
Location: Québec, Canada

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 6:11 pm

asa wrote:On Linux the hover for the back and forward menubuttons isn't quite right. I don't have a windows machine right now so I can't check there. I compared the latest Phoenix theme with Luna Blue and Luna Blue seems to get the hover state looking better than Phoenix/Qute.

The problem I see is that the menu part of the button, the dropdown arrow part, seems to wrap all the way around the back button part.

<img src="http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/asa/images/menubutton.png">

Does anyone else see this? Can someone that knows themes look at the CSS Luna Blue is using and see if it is applicable to Phoenix/Qute?

--Asa

Asa,
Can you verify that this behavior was not due to hot-switching themes? Restart the browser and see if you still the double boxes. I only see the box for the inner button but not the dropdown as does MoNkaholic apparently.

Chris Cook

User avatar
 
Posts: 898
Joined: December 14th, 2002, 9:57 am
Location: Québec, Canada

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 7:02 pm

MoNkaholic wrote:As of 02/07 Classic is no longer a choice in the themes preference, it has been replaced with Phoenix.

So now all that remains to be done is rename classic.jar to phoenix.jar. :)

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:12 am

Chris Cook wrote:
MoNkaholic wrote:As of 02/07 Classic is no longer a choice in the themes preference, it has been replaced with Phoenix.

So now all that remains to be done is rename classic.jar to phoenix.jar. :)

I still don't understand why Ben didn't rename it to Default instead of Phoenix, when he knows the name will soon change?

MoNkaholic

User avatar
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 8:21 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:17 am

djst wrote:I still don't understand why Ben didn't rename it to Default instead of Phoenix, when he knows the name will soon change?


In my initial post about that I thought it may have something to do with keeping the name Phoenix somewhere within the application, for the memories... that of course is merely my own assumption.

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 6:46 am

MoNkaholic wrote:
djst wrote:I still don't understand why Ben didn't rename it to Default instead of Phoenix, when he knows the name will soon change?


In my initial post about that I thought it may have something to do with keeping the name Phoenix somewhere within the application, for the memories... that of course is merely my own assumption.

Yet in the checkin comments, he said "changing to Phoenix [...] for now"

Return to Theme Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest