Theme Builder Software

Discuss application theming and theme development.
aaron

Theme Builder Software

Post by aaron »

I have a question for yall that make the really cool, professional looking themes, like Orbit and stuff. What theme authoring software do you use? I tried out Chameleon but it's still not working with current Mozilla builds, only with 0.6, and I couldn't figure out how to open the current modern.jar file to modify it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm interested in creating my own theme, but don't know a lot of the css required to do it manually. Oh, by the way I modified the navigator.css file of the modern theme so that it displays the toolbar icons with text (Mozilla 1.1) and as text/icons/both (Mozilla 1.2b). Go to http://www.cs.swt.edu/~as1130/new/ and you can find a preview picture (preview.jpg) and then also the modified modern.jar files zipped up and ready to download.
cdn

regarding: Theme Builder Software

Post by cdn »

I don't actually use anything beyond a text editor and a graphics editor

this link may help ?

http://www.geocities.com/beforum/downloads.htm - has a link to a pdf by Chris Nelson on how to theme Mozilla, some directory names may be different : )
redvine

Thanks very much for the reference

Post by redvine »

Thanks very much for the reference to the PDF on how to create themes. I wish this document was linked to more prominently, for inatance from themes.mozdev.org (as long as I'm chatting with a maintainer of that site) which currently has two links in the tutorial section, but not to documents as useful (I guess you were getting around to it).

By the way, any chance we can get the themes divided up by the platform they install on (as you have done for Phoenix -- so there is e.g. a 1.2b link that takes one to only the themes that work on 1.2b, and a 1.0 link that takes you to a list of themes that work onthat version).
cdn

Re: Thanks very much for the reference

Post by cdn »

redvine wrote:Thanks very much for the reference to the PDF on how to create themes. I wish this document was linked to more prominently, for instance from themes.mozdev.org (as long as I'm chatting with a maintainer of that site) which currently has two links in the tutorial section, but not to documents as useful (I guess you were getting around to it).

at some point, yeah

redvine wrote:By the way, any chance we can get the themes divided up by the platform they install on (as you have done for Phoenix -- so there is e.g. a 1.2b link that takes one to only the themes that work on 1.2b, and a 1.0 link that takes you to a list of themes that work onthat version).

might get there eventually,

one option might be running the icons in the right hand bar, although there isn't a lot of space :(

ideally I'd have a database of themes to reference, no such luck at present :?
triptych

Post by triptych »

I spent some time working on a theme builder, but I've never had the time to take it past a sorta pre-alpha phase. If anyone is interested in something like this, I guess I could try to make it workable again and post a link here.
aaron

Post by aaron »

That would be awesome!! I would love to see a workable theme builder, triptych!!