Your own theme workshop - for beginners

Discuss application theming and theme development.
oxinabox1

Post by oxinabox1 »

Umm... This is really great.
but what do i do with my workshop once i have built my workbench?

i can nolonger see any reason for the rest of the workshop
ehume

Post by ehume »

A workshop may contain several workbenches. I have a SphereGnome-related workshop, with 10 theme workbenches; and a Scribblies-related workshop with four theme workbenches. You, OTOH, may choose to ditch the workshop.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
oxinabox1

Post by oxinabox1 »

OK thanks, i might get rid of the part of the workshop created, just to get the .manifest and the install right then.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Yes, you could do that. But with hard drive space as inexpensive as it now is, why not leave your workshop intact? Then if you want to work on more stuff, you have a place to do it.

As an example, when I wanted to build Halloween, I already had a place to do the work, and access to Firefox. It makes life so much simpler.
oxinabox1

Post by oxinabox1 »

I have limited HD space (and money), only my laptop has web connection (no router) it has only 20 GB {laptops are hard to add hardware to}, and my desktop has only 8 GB and wont take another hard-drive {possibly it will if i wipe windows first),

you not understanding
now i'm saying i can (and should, and have) deleate the stuff in my workshop (excluding other themes in progress) that i created while creating my workbench the files i have created to change the UUID proir to installing and making the workbench.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

oxinabox1 wrote:I have limited HD space (and money), only my laptop has web connection (no router) it has only 20 GB {laptops are hard to add hardware to}, and my desktop has only 8 GB and wont take another hard-drive {possibly it will if i wipe windows first),

you not understanding
now i'm saying i can (and should, and have) deleate the stuff in my workshop (excluding other themes in progress) that i created while creating my workbench the files i have created to change the UUID proir to installing and making the workbench.

What are you talking about?

The entire Aluminium Kai 2 Folder, with sub-folders, is a total of 16MB. :)

BTW... isn't a workshop where they repair cars and stuff? :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
oxinabox1

Post by oxinabox1 »

HD space isn't the problem, it's mess that's the problem.

Post by ..... »

Hello,
Hope someone here can help out this problem...
I finished a test theme, but whenever I put the jar file into the theme manager it always pops up
"Firefox could not install this item because "install-lq...rdf"(provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist"
Where can I locate that file, the install.rdf seems the most likely choice but i don't know where the "-lq" come from
ehume

Post by ehume »

Make sure your install.rdf file is constructed correctly. Then make sure your jarfile is constructed properly:

The jarfile should contain the install.rdf file and other constituents. It should not contain a folder that contains the install.rdf file. That's one too many layers.
tmccarty

Post by tmccarty »

I'm having major issues. I'm at the smoke test step towards the very beginning. Something was obviously wrong when I installed the modded theme, as Firefox comes up incorrectly now, as in, not really at all. The program itself opens, but there's no graphics or webpages or anything. All I get are the menu heads that are just text, not clickable or anything. How do I switch to the default Firefox theme so I can go back in and play around with the files to try and get it right? Thanks.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Open Firefox in Safe Mode and switch back to the default theme.
stokes003

Post by stokes003 »

Can you do a tutorial like this for Thunderbird instead of Firefox. The directory structures are different and I've been having some trouble.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I know nothing about Thunderbird. Hopefully another themer will make a similar thread for it.
caballera

.jar files on MAC-OSX

Post by caballera »

What is the proper way to make .jar files on the mac platform?

I tried:
Right-click > Create Archive
and then changed the extension to .jar

I tried dragging it into the add-ons window, and it didn't show up.
(no error message or anything, it just didn't show.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
*laura
YoungAlex
Folder@Home

Post by YoungAlex »

ehume wrote:***

Now your theme needs in ID. There are two methods. Method A is clumsy. Method B is easy and easy to use. I have gone over to Method B, but take your choice.

Theme ID, Method A:

Find a GUID generator (GUID stands for globally unique identifier). You can Google around to find one. You can go here or here for web-based GUID generators. Or you can go to Microsoft’s GUIDGen page and download their GUIDGen utility.

Theme ID, Method B:

Make up an email address. Examples are HiVisGnome@edhume.googlepages.com, silvermel@pardal.de, toolbarcontrol@webdesigns.ms11.net (the ID of an extension), etc. You can see why I recommend this method of making an ID.

Actually Method A is really very easy go here
http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen
and it's automatically generates a GUID on your arrival
Fold for team 39340
Rule #1: Spammers lie.
Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.