Shift Themes Development

Discuss application theming and theme development.
C. Nicks

Re: Shift Themes Development

Post by C. Nicks »

Man...So what's up with all the new reviews on Redshift's AMO listing. They just nver read my damn descriptions. I tell them how to get the new version but they just complain about how it's not compatible.

I wish I could just get V3 through review already.
-C. Nicks-
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Well I thought I sorta knew how to find stuff in that god awful mess maze but I guess not.
Saw your comment in reviews an finally found it!

Looking good C, thanks for the effort! :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
C. Nicks

Post by C. Nicks »

Yeah, AMO hasn't been the same since the last major update.

I still haven't gotten used to it. But there's not much we can do. I try to make the listing as simple as possible.
-C. Nicks-
steviex

Post by steviex »

^^^ People never read anything.... Even when it is under their noses...

Some don't even read the last post of a topic, before they post into it.... :crazyeyes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Dark_Lord_Prime

Post by Dark_Lord_Prime »

I just installed Red Shift v3 (2.95), and it looks great. Just one small problem with the Back and Forward buttons:

I'm running Firefox 3.05, and I even went in and completely uninstalled the old Shift and installed this one fresh.
falconer.

Post by falconer. »

C. Nicks wrote:They just never read my damn descriptions.

Tell me about it. Those "reviews" on AMO are some of the worst things in the world. I can't even begin to count how many reviews I've gotten for Camifox and Chromifox from people who obviously did not read anything on the page. The whole reviews system is screwed up, big time.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Then do something about it. Maybe if somebody politely raises the problem at Mozilla's Bugzilla, maybe come up with some possible solutions as well, then the AMO staff can solve the problem of idiots abusing the reviews system.

There are existing reviews bugs still open on AMO, so check to see if one of them can be of use to you to politely raise your concerns and ideas on how to resolve the problem (but if you don't find an existing bug, then you can file a new bug).
xeno-phase

Post by xeno-phase »

Dark_Lord_Prime, may I ask if you have an extension installed that changes the appearance of the toolbar? The reason I ask this is because there are a few extensions (NoUn Buttons 1.0.1 is one example) that are aimed at changing the toolbar in a manner that breaks many themes, though they work fine in the default. The mentioned extension causes a huge cosmetic problem with the back button as it attempts to hide the "unified" dropdown, but by using the default theme's spatial parameters. I hate the unified buttons but any attempt to find a way to universally remove the appearance of being unified has caused more probs than it's worth outside of indivudual theme hacks, so I just would like to be sure you aren't experiencing a symptom of the afore mentioned issue (that is more of a firefox3 limitation than a theme flaw).

I would be curious that if you have no such extensions installed if you ever made any custom changes to chrome files, which could also easily break some themes.

If both of the above prove totally useless, you could always run an experiment and launch firefox in safemode or under another profile to see if its basic state can't handle redshift either (would probably have to reinstall redshift). If still nothing, maybe try to remove some of the extra icons from the toolbar to see if they are simply too crowded. At least finding out which issue is the culprit could lend to maybe finding a permanent solution. As is, I can't do any hands-on experiments with your problem because I can't duplicate it. C. Nicks' latest works for me on both Portable Firefox3 (tho with some minor probs mostly due to my pc settings) and the latest regular Firefox3 (which seems almost flawless for me).
Dark_Lord_Prime

Huh.. I right-clicked on the toolbar and went into Customize and told it to "Restore Default Set," which fixed the Back and Borward buttons, then I added my extras back in, and the Back and Forward are still okay.

After I restored the default set, the ones I had available to move back to the toolbar(s) include two broken back and forward buttons (they're like the ones in my screen shot, except they're made up of the actual back and forward icons).

I just went back into Customize and dragged the screwy Back icon back onto a toolbar, and it switched to what's in screen shot. I took it back off, and the "real" ones are still normal, so I dunno. *shrug*

xeno-phase wrote:Dark_Lord_Prime, may I ask if you have an extension installed that changes the appearance of the toolbar? The reason I ask this is because there are a few extensions (NoUn Buttons 1.0.1 is one example) that are aimed at changing the toolbar in a manner that breaks many themes, though they work fine in the default. The mentioned extension causes a huge cosmetic problem with the back button as it attempts to hide the "unified" dropdown, but by using the default theme's spatial parameters. I hate the unified buttons but any attempt to find a way to universally remove the appearance of being unified has caused more probs than it's worth outside of indivudual theme hacks, so I just would like to be sure you aren't experiencing a symptom of the afore mentioned issue (that is more of a firefox3 limitation than a theme flaw).

I would be curious that if you have no such extensions installed if you ever made any custom changes to chrome files, which could also easily break some themes.

If both of the above prove totally useless, you could always run an experiment and launch firefox in safemode or under another profile to see if its basic state can't handle redshift either (would probably have to reinstall redshift). If still nothing, maybe try to remove some of the extra icons from the toolbar to see if they are simply too crowded. At least finding out which issue is the culprit could lend to maybe finding a permanent solution. As is, I can't do any hands-on experiments with your problem because I can't duplicate it. C. Nicks' latest works for me on both Portable Firefox3 (tho with some minor probs mostly due to my pc settings) and the latest regular Firefox3 (which seems almost flawless for me).
xeno-phase

Post by xeno-phase »

Dark_Lord_Prime wrote:Huh.. I right-clicked on the toolbar and went into Customize and told it to "Restore Default Set," which fixed the Back and Borward buttons, then I added my extras back in, and the Back and Forward are still okay.

After I restored the default set, the ones I had available to move back to the toolbar(s) include two broken back and forward buttons (they're like the ones in my screen shot, except they're made up of the actual back and forward icons).

I just went back into Customize and dragged the screwy Back icon back onto a toolbar, and it switched to what's in screen shot. I took it back off, and the "real" ones are still normal, so I dunno. *shrug*

LOL ... although I love knowing solutions to riddles I sometimes just have to smile when a problem just fixes itself without any logic. For what it's worth, the showing of the icons in the toolbar-customize section is, like the toolbar icons themselves, displayed according to spatial dimensions in some configuration file. Trying to "fit" a portion of the image (default icon sets are all really one pic with many icons, whereas only so many pixels in a specified region are told to show in whatever location the icon is assigned) to display correctly in the toolbar and the customize window are actually two different settings. I just hope the broken one sitting in your customize window is easy enough to ignore. I have no clue why what you did worked out, but kudos to you for trying it and congrats for getting the toolbar, at least, to behave. :)
Dark_Lord_Prime

*bump*

Any news?
C. Nicks

Post by C. Nicks »

Not much lately. I got really busy with a contract job and didn't have any time to do updates.
I'm in the process of laying out the design and content of the new website that will be ran under Drupal (a recent re-discovery). The new site will include full user profiles and many other features. The forum theme is also getting underway.
-C. Nicks-
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Patiently waiting with baited breath.

Congrats on the job!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
ssnake42069

Post by ssnake42069 »

almost a year with no message? wow.

Hows Blueshift coming along? im looking forward to it, even if its just a beta.
jivko

Post by jivko »

Update for Firefox 3.6?