MozillaZine

Is it possible to force install an "outdated" them

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Skatingraccoon

Post Posted April 30th, 2006, 4:53 am

I'm sure you guys have heard of the Plastikfox/Plastikthunder themes. Well, there is a Beta 2 release of Plastikfox that works with the latest version of FF, and I really miss having themes that match with it (since the creator hasn't updated Plastikthunder yet). I was reading the forums there (which are very very inactive compared to here), and one user said that he was able to force install Plastikthunder. I was wondering how to do this? I basically want matching themes again :( (plus, I think that was one of the best themes ever).

Oh, and the other user also said that the toolbars didn't display when the theme was force installed... Would there be a way to display just the default Windows Theme ones if that's the case? Thanks.
Last edited by Skatingraccoon on May 1st, 2006, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcdavis

Post Posted May 1st, 2006, 4:41 am

I'm not sure if this is the exact solution, but there are a couple approaches you could try.

1. Install the extension "Nightly tester Tools". This will add a button called "Make All Compatible" to the Themes Manager window. Not sure how this would work if you can't install it in the first place, but it's something to try.

2. In the jar file containing each theme, there's a file called "install.rdf" that tells Firefox all about the theme. In there is some code that tells which version it works with. You could try editing this file to change that version specification to include your browser version. To do this you would have to a) download the jar to your hard drive b) edit install.rdf in the jar (take it out, edit it, put it back in the jar) then c) drag and drop the jar onto your themes manager window to install it.

HTH.

Skatingraccoon

Post Posted May 1st, 2006, 4:36 pm

Thanks a lot!

Both methods worked. I went the first route, and the scrollbars didn't appear... So I uninstalled it and went the second method, and again, no scrollbars. But, I don't think it will be that much of an issue.

Thanks again!

HoosierGeezer

Post Posted May 1st, 2006, 5:18 pm

Skatingraccoon wrote:Thanks a lot!

Both methods worked. I went the first route, and the scrollbars didn't appear... So I uninstalled it and went the second method, and again, no scrollbars. But, I don't think it will be that much of an issue.

Thanks again!

If you want to try a little trick to make the scrollbars work, this might do it. Go into the GLOBAL directory of the theme and change scrollbars.css to xulscrollbars.css.

Skatingraccoon

Post Posted May 1st, 2006, 7:38 pm

Wow... I'm amazed at how much you guys know.

Thanks Hoosier, that fixed it right up!

Return to Theme Development