styling phoenix window

Discuss application theming and theme development.
erimia

My thoughts

Post by erimia »

changing the backgrounds is actually really easy ... or at least I figured it to be ... to change mine all I did was to add this little snipet to the browser.css file and make an png image that I put in the browser folder.

menubar,menupopup,toolbar,tabpanels {
background: url("chrome://browser/skin/background.png")
}

This isn't a complete solution yet because download windows don't change and neither does the bookmark manager or any of the sidebars ... but I'll take a look at that in a bit (after my exam tomorrow) and see if I can figure out which objects to add that background too ...

So I think adding support for "full" themes isn't that hard and you can do it yourself if you want.

That being said I definately agree with what asa said about respecting the defaults of the system. All of you designers out there be sure to make a sytem default sensative version too. That way everyone will be happy (hopefully)
asa

Post by asa »

Flii wrote:<snip>however, i must be completely misunderstanding you, and i apologize. correct me plz, because the way i'm reading you is totally not right, i'm sure.

you missed the part where I said "not _yet_". When nsITheme for win98/NT/2K lands then all of the people on those platforms that use windows themes will see their windows themes in Phoenix. Why should we make themes less nice for winXP and Linux GTK users (who currently have this functionality in Phoenix) just because the older windows versions aren't fully supported in Phoenix yet. Phoenix will support the older windows theming soon. In the mean time I don't think we should make themes suck for winXP and GTK just to make them look a little bit better for win98/NT/2K.

--Asa
flii

Post by flii »

asa wrote:you missed the part where I said "not _yet_".
(...)
In the mean time I don't think we should make themes suck for winXP and GTK just to make them look a little bit better for win98/NT/2K.

somehow i don't think there will be patches to the older oses about transparency or even anything, for that matter, other than security issues. ... i'm not sure how you can say "yet" about it. did i miss a microsoft press release about this or something? will transparency be coming to the older versions of windows? if so that would be really really cool. my bf has xp, and i actually tried it. twice. i couldn't stand it, but he loves it, and i'm jealous of his transparency features. i think that's about the only thing i liked what i had xp. oh well. :p

and i'm sorry, but i have to say this, because i swear this is the first thing i thought of when i read what you said:
"in the mean time i don't think we should makes web pages stink for ie just to comply with standards that the other browsers support better" and while we're at it, let's set up bans for browsers we don't use. who cares about the any-browser campaign. bah.

maybe i'm just cranky today. sorry.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Flii wrote:somehow i don't think there will be patches to the older oses about transparency or even anything, for that matter, other than security issues. ... i'm not sure how you can say "yet" about it. did i miss a microsoft press release about this or something?

I guess you got asa wrong here for the second time, CJ :wink: He's talking about already existing interfaces in older Windows versions that are not yet utilized by Mozilla/Phoenix and patches to Mozilla/Phoenix to utilize them.
asa

Post by asa »

Flii wrote:<snip>maybe i'm just cranky today. sorry.

no problem.

--Asa
Chaos Clown

Post by Chaos Clown »

These are just my first reactions after visiting the website above that offers windows users emulations to OS X.... that's crazy talk... it's just wrong... mac os... windows... converging... the world is all wrong... we've come to the end boys and girls... it just doesnt make any sense anymore.
Chaos Clown

Post by Chaos Clown »

But also on that note... back in the win95 days... years ago, there was this mysterious file i downloaded and when i installed it... it made all my folders into 3d, blue/pink shaded, and all around sweeter looking win95. Anyone know of any sites that have nice themes and icons... i mean like complete conversions that is actually tidy, professional, good looking... not like all those theme sites out there with cursors and sounds... i dont know... if someone out there knows the theme i had from win95, you know what I am talking about :)... someone help and point me to a good site... the yellow folders are starting to bother me.... *pokes the yellow folders* eh? you like that?! Huh, do you!!!
Chaos Clown

Post by Chaos Clown »

Woot, found a good site for total conversions... good stuff :)

check it out if you've never visited the site and check the skins... the top authors are on the right site... i've checked out the top 3 and their winxp skins are awesome... complete conversions...

http://www.wincustomize.com

enjoy!