small + small

Discuss application theming and theme development.
lynchknot

small + small

Post by lynchknot »

Good morning everyone.
I would like to make a theme utilizing two small icon sets - version 1 & 2. How would I go about editing to make the toolbar height the same. I'm assuming it's in Browser .css, but i'm not sure which line it is - and the values necessary. Thank you and have a great day!
Ted Mielczarek

small

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

It seems to me that this defeats the purpose of having the "use small icons" checkbox. Some of us like larger buttons. If you have two sets of icons, why not make two separate themes? I'm more likely to try your theme out if you have larger buttons.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

The icons come in one size 24X24. There are 2 versions, Crystal and Crystal 2. I don't really like to alter the original icon. Many artists like to keep their work intact, unaltered in any way.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

'Use small icons' is a kludge to allow different types of users to utilise the same themes. Most people either like large buttons or small buttons, and I know that I don't ever look at a theme's large buttons. If a theme came with 'small' and 'smaller' as its size choices it would suit me fine - I rarely even bother with buttons now and I'd prefer miminal space to be devoted to them.

- Chris
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

It's just my opinion that these icons do not look as good in 32X32 - they look terrific, smaller. I don't want them to occupy a large field in 24X24 size.
The other alternative would be to disable the size option.
To me, size doesn't matter as much as beauty.
asa

Re: small + small

Post by asa »

lynchknot wrote:Good morning everyone.
I would like to make a theme utilizing two small icon sets - version 1 & 2. How would I go about editing to make the toolbar height the same. I'm assuming it's in Browser .css, but i'm not sure which line it is - and the values necessary. Thank you and have a great day!

I think that the toolbar height is determined by the height of it's contents (the buttons and their margins, etc.). I could be wrong. If you look in browser.css there are css rules for all of the different buttons.

I don't see any rules that specify a height. If the size of the buttons doesn't change then does the toolbar height still change?

You can find nice CSS documentation at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1 (note: you won't find -moz-appearance, -moz-border-*, -moz-image-region, etc. at the CSS docs because they are mozilla extensions to css. you can find some info on the -moz extensions at http://www.xulplanet.com/references/ele ... rties.html )

--Asa
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I wish it were that easy asa. I tried re-naming small to large. The fields were all messed up. And the toolbar vertical height remained the same.
seb

Post by seb »

I don't know for the other toolbars, but for the tabbar, it was pretty easy. See http://seb.delahaye.net/phoenix/userChrome.css
I suppose it's not very different for the other toolbars, but I haven't tried yet.
Alfred Kayser

Try LittlePhoenix

Post by Alfred Kayser »

To see how can 'resize' the toolbar of phoenix,
get LittlePhoenix from www.deskmod.org and take a look at browser.css
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I looked it over. I need something more specific - like, exactly where and what values I need to change.
AtomB

Post by AtomB »

ok here's my guess at how to do that lychknot. here's a line from the lare size of a button:
-moz-image-region: rect(0px 46px 42px 0px)

see the 2 middle numbers? the 46 tells you how many pixels from the left the icon takes up in the png. the 42 tells the vertical size of the icon in the png.

now here's the same line from the small version
-moz-image-region: rect(0px 28px 25px 0px)

so this instance tells us that the icon takes up 28px horizontally and the 25px is vertically. you'll need to copy and paste all the image region values from the small icons to the large icons in order for them to look correct.

in the morning i'll do up a very crude example of what i'm talking about.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Ok, I copied the small values and edited into large - specifically the Home and Stop buttons. It works! There is a small shift in the stop button, as it transforms from active and inactive mode. However the vertical height is correct.

/edit - There is also a shift with the Home button as I click on it. This is going to require more than just copying and editing values.

ummmmm.......................................

/edit again! - I think I have the button activities mixed up, as the description varies from large to small. Still I don't see why that would cause a physical shift - should only describe hot and cold properties.

I'm glad we're on the right track though. Thanks Atomb.
Last edited by lynchknot on November 11th, 2002, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtomB

Post by AtomB »

hey no problem lynchknot. i'm just glad i was on the right track of how to resolve this.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I've got everything working but the drop markers. It's the only thing holding up the theme.....