Aluminium Kai 2.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

wild wrote:I like everything you've done but really miss the color changing icon circle for internet connection (top right).Can you add that back?

Hi, I never took it out - the original Aluminum Kai theme by Kozakura Inko came with the 'throbber' that you see now. Good enough for him, then good enough for me.

:)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

New Version Release :

Aluminium Kai 2 version 1.7.5 for Firefox 1.5 - 2.0

This version :

This is the version update of the original Aluminum Kai theme by Kozakura Inko, that was recently, officially adopted by me when he ceased development on it.

Now renamed, Aluminium Kai 2, I have completed the version update for Firefox 2 and also added many new features and areas of interest, throughout the theme.

Although only originally intended to be compatible with Firefox 2 onwards, compatibility with Firefox 1.5 has been added as well.

Fixes for version 1.7.5 :
1. Searchbar - text entry box bug fix.
2. Menus - disabled items colour text changed, unchanged on hover.
3. ....er...some other stuff, but I've forgotten what .....nothing major, I ain't changed all the icons or anything, haha

Aluminium Kai 2 v1.7.5

Frank :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Alchera

Post by Alchera »

Hi,

I just installed Aluminium Kai (first time) and noticed the background for the "Customize..." (sic) window doesn't cover the entire area (as per your preview) i.e there is a white square area where all the items are; all the borders are as they should be. Is there any way to fix this?
"Live Outside The Square You Live In"
"Vivez hors du quartier où vous habitez"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Hi Alchera, not had this before. Do me a screenshot, as there are more borders and sections in there than you think.

Also maybe try on a clean profile (additional to and not replacing your normal one!!!) or else disabling your extensions one by one.

But yeah, bound to be able to fix it, no worries. :)
Alchera

Post by Alchera »

I should mention that I use Firefox 2 (Windows) and that a friend of mine has the same "problem" with the same version of Firefox as I use.

I haven't had time to redo the profile as yet.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Hi Al, problem I've got here is that I'm not seeing this and no one else is reporting it.

That's not a problem, if you and your mate have then it bound to come up some other time, whatever it is caused by.

There is no harm in trying to reinforce this area- but as I can't see it - you will have to be my guinea pig, if that's OK with you, haha.

Paste this first one into your userChrome.css below the namespace, save and restart Firefox :

Code: Select all

#CustomizeToolbarWindow > vbox > #palette-box {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background-image: url("chrome://global/skin/toolbar/test1.png")!important;
    background-color: transparent;
}

...what you should get is the right background, but slightly in the wrong place.

Then delete that one and try this :

#CustomizeToolbarWindow > vbox > #palette-box {
   background-color: transparent;
}

Then please report back, with shots if you think needed.

Alchera

Post by Alchera »

Hi,

I did both of the above. :) The first lines of code gave me the background slightly off centre. The second code reset back to what I had originally.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Alchera wrote:Hi,...

Bingo! .......caused by (along with many problems on many themes) yet again ...*drum roll*....AIOS.

This is better : http://leon-huang.com/nu/poto.php

...and for Addons in the Sidebar, paste this into URLbar :

chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul?type=extensions

Press the amusing 'Go' button, Ctl + D, to save as a Bookmark. Right click bookmark, select Properties and click 'Open in Sidebar'. Done.

Last edited by Frank Lion on November 25th, 2006, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alchera

Post by Alchera »

G'day,

That fixed it! :D I would never have guessed AIOS was the problem.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Alchera wrote:G'day,

That fixed it! :D I would never have guessed AIOS was the problem.

:) ...the 'secret' was in your own screenshot. See the bit about 'Global Options', etc - that is not standard. Question - who is likely, for no good reason, to add to the text of an important window, like Customise?

...had to be AOIS...no one else. :)
JNewbry

Post by JNewbry »

While not a perfect solution for AIOS users... It at least returns some of the correct look back?

#palette-box {
  background-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/background-dimple-tile.png") !important;
  background-repeat: repeat !important;
  border: 1px solid !important; /*color the border to your own taste*/
}

Hey Frank... I'm using the Fission extension... while at Firefox Add-ons, the left part of the urlbar is yellow, the rest, behind the RSS feed and lock icon is gold. Is this intended behaviour?
Last edited by JNewbry on November 25th, 2006, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html" target="_blank">ChromEdit Plus</a> | <a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/winstripethemes.html" target="_blank">Firefox Themes</a>
searchlight4759

Progressmeter balls versus Solid Bar

Post by searchlight4759 »

Frank,

I love your theme but noticed that you use progressmeter balls instead of a solid bar. For my own information, would this have any effect on how fast a page loads in my browser?

It seems that themes that use a solid progress bar load faster but this could be just my imagination because I am unaccustomed.

Any thoughts?

In other words is there any difference or impact/delay between what your theme uses and the traditional progress bar?

P.S. I do not intend to stop using your theme but felt I had to make this observation. Thanks and keep up the good work! :D And by the way, at some point can you make an AK2 theme for TB?
Frank Lion

Re: Progressmeter balls versus Solid Bar

Post by Frank Lion »

searchlight4759 wrote:... Any thoughts?

In other words is there any difference or impact/delay between what your theme uses and the traditional progress bar?

The simple answer is - no impact. The progressmeter balls are, in fact, just very simple graphics trick that I invented when making Metal Lion 2. That theme had more conventional progressmeter displays available as Theme Options and that side was tested out back then and no difference found.

They do seem to attract a lot of attention for some reason, haha, but they are just there to amuse and look good. However, if I thought there was any loss of functionality, then they would be off. I'm not completely daft. :)

The extension, TMP needs a default p/meter for when no colour is selected. If anyone wants to use that instead (it's quite pale because it's right in your face on the tabs) then try this, in userChrome.css BELOW the namespace :

/*Grad Progressmeter on StatusBar....  Frank Lion 2006*/

#status-bar .progress-bar {
  background: url("chrome://global/skin/progressmeter/progressmeter-busy3.png") repeat-x 0% 50% !important;
  min-width: 12px;
  border-left: 1px solid #777777 !important;
}

As you see, I now use these P/meter balls on all my themes now, as a kind of 'signature'

Last edited by Frank Lion on November 25th, 2006, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JNewbry wrote:Hey Frank... I'm using the Fission extension... while at Firefox Add-ons, the left part of the urlbar is yellow, the rest, behind the RSS feed and lock icon is gold. Is this intended behaviour?

No. Added to bug list.

AK2 uses Mail buttons for when in use on FF1.5. If you would like these to be used in conjunction with your Get Mail ext, then feel free to post the code and I will add it to my extensions.css at a later date.

Both are in browser/icons - mail.png ...(a 32x32) and - mailsm.png ...(23x20)
JNewbry

Post by JNewbry »

Found the Fission problem:

#urlbar[fission="fusion"][level="high"],
#urlbar[fission="fusion"][level="low"] {
  background-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/addressbar_level.png");
}

Originally pointed to - addressbar-3.png, which is yellow

For Get Mail icon support:

#Getallmail-button {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/icons/mail.png") !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 32px, 0px) !important;
}
#Getallmail-button:hover {
-moz-image-region: rect(0px 32px 32px 0px) !important;
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #Getallmail-button {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/icons/mailsm.png") !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 23px 20px 0px) !important;
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #Getallmail-button:hover {
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 23px 20px 0px) !important;
}

There ya go....
Thanks Frank!
<a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html" target="_blank">ChromEdit Plus</a> | <a href="http://webdesigns.ms11.net/winstripethemes.html" target="_blank">Firefox Themes</a>