GrayModern for Firefox

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Bernie

New GrayModern Icons

Post by Bernie »

Zeron,

You worked on the previous GrayModern (Firefox) theme, right? Any chance you have PSDs or something along those lines for those new icons that were created (e.g. Cut, Paste, Go, etc.)?

The ones in the old GrayModern for Firefox are set specifically for a background that doesn't match what my background looks like, and I think their sizing might be an issue.

I might be able to tweak them on my own, but I doubt it will look very good. So far, all the icons in the new theme are looking very crisp and clean, so I'd hate to have to break that trend.

I guess a workaround might be to try and find some buttons in other themes that might look good grayscale in this theme? Ideas anyone?
Bernie Zimmermann
http://www.bernzilla.com
Zeron

Re: New GrayModern Icons

Post by Zeron »

I worked on it to the extent of changing all the hex color codes to grayscale versions, and grayscaling some graphics. I really did not do very much more than that. The person who -might- have the originals is the creator of the first Firebird Modern, who's name I can't remember off-hand. Legoguy worked on this theme after he went AWOL, and then I made the grayscale version.

However, you're in luck: Legoguy was working on recreating the icons. Last I heard from him they were practically perfect. He also has already offered to give them to you in the first page of this thread:
Legoguy wrote:I was wondering when someone was going do do this. I myself am not perfectly content with the updated Modern theme I've done so I've stated in that thread that I will be porting the actual modern; but wait, this is where I might help you: I've replicated the buttons, with their shadows and all, as transparent PNGs. That means you need not worry about the background color (although I had to make the shadow have a tint of blue which is fixable). If you want them, ask, but it looks like you're actually doing fairly well right now. Good luck fellow themer. :D
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Zeron wrote:I worked on it to the extent of changing all the hex color codes to grayscale versions, and grayscaling some graphics. I really did not do very much more than that. The person who -might- have the originals is the creator of the first Firebird Modern, who's name I can't remember off-hand. Legoguy worked on this theme after he went AWOL, and then I made the grayscale version.

However, you're in luck: Legoguy was working on recreating the icons. Last I heard from him they were practically perfect. He also has already offered to give them to you in the first page of this thread:
Legoguy wrote:I was wondering when someone was going do do this. I myself am not perfectly content with the updated Modern theme I've done so I've stated in that thread that I will be porting the actual modern; but wait, this is where I might help you: I've replicated the buttons, with their shadows and all, as transparent PNGs. That means you need not worry about the background color (although I had to make the shadow have a tint of blue which is fixable). If you want them, ask, but it looks like you're actually doing fairly well right now. Good luck fellow themer. :D

Thanks yet again, Zeron. Hopefully Legoguy's images will suit my needs (from his description, it sounds like they will).

Legoguy, if you get this, send me an email so I can take you up on your offer. You can contact me via my website (in my profile). Thanks in advance!
Bernie Zimmermann
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

To make sure he reads it, I would thinking sending a PM is a better idea.
wget

Post by wget »

How's the coming along?
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

wget wrote:How's the coming along?

I'm still waiting on LegoGuy to send me some images he worked with. Without them, there will be no icons for the Cut, Paste, etc. buttons. I'm also planning on doing a little more work on the sidebar and few other minor areas before I release this into the wild and get some feedback. Stay tuned...
Bernie Zimmermann
Bernie

3/15/04 Status Update

Post by Bernie »

Here's the latest status update on my GrayModern port:

* It's going slowly because I am busy with other projects
* Still waiting on LegoGuy for PNG images (we've been in touch)
* Just touched up the sidebar quite a bit...getting very close there
* Still need to clean out unused files to make package smaller and tidier
* Will most likely release a version for feedback very soon

Things that would speed up the process:

* If I could figure out why the URL bar and nav buttons swap after going to Customize (so weird)
* If someone could tell me what file the sidebar header is defined in:

In the image above it's the golden color (as opposed to the rest of the interface which is defined in grays). Anyone know off the top of their head where this is defined at?

You should hear more from me soon...
Bernie Zimmermann
f4lc0n

Re: 3/15/04 Status Update

Post by f4lc0n »

Bernie wrote:Here's the latest status update on my GrayModern port:

* It's going slowly because I am busy with other projects
* Still waiting on LegoGuy for PNG images (we've been in touch)
* Just touched up the sidebar quite a bit...getting very close there
* Still need to clean out unused files to make package smaller and tidier
* Will most likely release a version for feedback very soon

Things that would speed up the process:

* If I could figure out why the URL bar and nav buttons swap after going to Customize (so weird)
* If someone could tell me what file the sidebar header is defined in:

In the image above it's the golden color (as opposed to the rest of the interface which is defined in grays). Anyone know off the top of their head where this is defined at?

You should hear more from me soon...

i think it is sidebarheader , at least thats what was used in the office menu css. I cant wait for this theme to be released.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
Bernie

Re: 3/15/04 Status Update

Post by Bernie »

f4lc0n wrote:i think it is sidebarheader , at least thats what was used in the office menu css. I cant wait for this theme to be released.

Thanks, f4lc0n, you were absolutely right. I now see why I had such a hard time finding it, though. It was in global.css and included the following comment:

Code: Select all

/* XXXBlake yeah, shoot me -- these don't belong here.  I'll move them later. */

sidebarheader {
Bernie Zimmermann
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Anyone happen to know where the little popup that notifies you when downloads have finished is defined? I figured it would have been in download.css in the mozapps folder, but I don't seem to see it in there.

I'd like to get that looking a little more GrayModern-ish ;)
Bernie Zimmermann
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Bernie wrote:Anyone happen to know where the little popup that notifies you when downloads have finished is defined? I figured it would have been in download.css in the mozapps folder, but I don't seem to see it in there.

I believe it is here global/alert/alert.css . Just wondering how close you are to a public release, seems like everything is skinned and will it have nice small 16x16 nav buttons like breeze so i can have all the navigations stuff on the menu bar.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
Worldseye

Post by Worldseye »

I'm very interested in this theme also.. I would be willing to test it, to help iron out any bugs and help you make last minute adjustments if you need to..

Regards

Dan
Anthropic

Post by Anthropic »

Definite interest here...I'm a hardcore Firefox fan...Seamonkey's interface seems, cluttered to me, but at the same time Seamonkey's default theme has a lot more personality (and history). It'll be nice to have a well-done Modern port to Firefox.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Speaking of which, will there be a regular "Modern" port after GrayModern is done?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

f4lc0n wrote:
Bernie wrote:Anyone happen to know where the little popup that notifies you when downloads have finished is defined? I figured it would have been in download.css in the mozapps folder, but I don't seem to see it in there.

I believe it is here global/alert/alert.css . Just wondering how close you are to a public release, seems like everything is skinned and will it have nice small 16x16 nav buttons like breeze so i can have all the navigations stuff on the menu bar.

Thanks again, f4lc0n. I modified alert.css so that the download notification pop-up fits better with the rest of the theme.

I have a feeling you might be a bit let down if you're expecting this theme to look good with a bunch of small icons on the toolbar, though. Because I haven't been able to create new icons for items like Cut, Paste, etc. and I never heard back from LegoGuy, I got in touch with the creator of Qute and asked if I could use some of those icons as placeholders (indefinitely). I'd recommend against using anything besides the back, forward, reload, stop, home and go buttons on the toolbar, just because those are the only ones that really go with the theme at this time.
Bernie Zimmermann