GrayModern for Firefox

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I got the "go ahead" from Johannes Schellen, the original creator of the GrayModern theme, today, so that is good news.
Bernie Zimmermann
http://www.bernzilla.com
scratch

Post by scratch »

Bernie wrote:
scratch wrote:someone already did this.

As far as I can tell, the current GrayModern themes for Firefox are "colorless" copies of a port of the Modern (or maybe Phoenity Modern?) theme that was done beforehand. I'm a little too picky to settle for a copy of a copy, so I've been spending some time porting the actual GrayModern theme from Mozilla 1.6 over to Firefox 0.8. However, it sounds like people are happy and content with what's available, so I won't have to worry about packing this thing up and distributing it. It's not anywhere near done anyway...yet.

isn't that how GrayModern for Mozilla was made?
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

No, the buttons are blue, the rest is desaturated.
mommajoan

Post by mommajoan »

Thanks Bernie!

Using it and loving it. Great work.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

mommajoan wrote:Thanks Bernie!

Interesting... I don't recall Bernie making a release, yet.
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Zeron wrote:
mommajoan wrote:Thanks Bernie!

Interesting... I don't recall Bernie making a release, yet.

kinda a joke...eehhh!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
scratch

Post by scratch »

Legoguy wrote:No, the buttons are blue, the rest is desaturated.

yes... that's how both the mozilla version and the firefox version are. so what's the difference in this version?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

scratch wrote:
Legoguy wrote:No, the buttons are blue, the rest is desaturated.

yes... that's how both the mozilla version and the firefox version are. so what's the difference in this version?

Scratch, all I can tell you is that I'm taking the original GrayModern theme from Mozilla and porting it as straight-across as I can.

If you are happy with the version you are using, then just stick with it. However, if you feel like there are certain elements of the theme that don't quite look how they did in the original version, my version may be worth your time.

At the very least, I'm getting my feet very wet with a theme so that I can work on them (or perhaps document the process?) later on. From what I can tell, though, it looks like there are a few other people in here who are interested in the fruits of my labor.
Bernie Zimmermann
scratch

Post by scratch »

that's cool, it's just that the two seem identical to me so i don't really see the point. you keep talking about these differences but haven't pointed out a single one. but whatever floats your boat, man.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

scratch wrote:that's cool, it's just that the two seem identical to me so i don't really see the point. you keep talking about these differences but haven't pointed out a single one. but whatever floats your boat, man.

The reason I can't post any differences is because I haven't tried the other themes. I saw screenshots and didn't like what I saw, so I didn't even go through the trouble of installing them. If you're still concerned about how I spend my time, please feel free to post some updated screenshots of the currently available GrayModern theme and I'll do my best to tell you how my version differs.
Bernie Zimmermann
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

I'm too lazy to make some screenshots right now, but a couple things off the top of my head:

- Buttons are smaller (GrayModern & Modern)
- Funky jpeg artifacts around buttons mostly visible on 800x600 or lower res (GrayModern)
- Other various bugs in GrayModern that were fixed in a later release of Modern
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Here comes another quick update. I have been swamped with other work this week so I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the theme. However, somehow I still manged to make quite a bit of progress.

- The theme now supports small icon mode and Full Screen (F11) mode
- All the bookmark icons are looking good, just like they looked in the original GrayModern
- The download manager is looking good, and fitting with the rest of the theme well
- The popup, security, and other miscellanous icons have been changed from Qute to Graymodern

Some things I still need to work on:

- Making the sidebar look like it did in the original
- Figuring out what to do about new icons/buttons that GrayModern didn't support
- Fixing the strange navigation/address bar position switch that happens when I go to Customize

I'd say I'm at about 85-90% at this point. That may merit putting out a release so you guys can give it a try and complain about all the things that don't work ;)

I'd love to hear feedback regarding what should be done about icons that weren't supported by the original GrayModern theme, like the CSS stylesheet switcher icon (in Qute it's the box of crayons), the cut and paste buttons, etc. Or maybe they were supported and I'm just unaware?

Hopefully next week will calm down a bit for me so I can package up what I have so far and make it available for you guys (and gals) to download and install.
Bernie Zimmermann
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Sound Great :)

Thanx for your effort..Bernie :wink:
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Bernie: If you install and take a look at either the "Firebird Modern" or "Firebird GrayModern themes, you'll notice some icons were custom made for the new buttons that match the rest of the theme very well. You may want to use those.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Zeron wrote:Bernie: If you install and take a look at either the "Firebird Modern" or "Firebird GrayModern themes, you'll notice some icons were custom made for the new buttons that match the rest of the theme very well. You may want to use those.

Thanks, Zeron. I'll look into that.
Bernie Zimmermann