Office 2003 userChrome.css Skin Release Versions 1.7 + 1.0

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Flexer

Post by Flexer »

It is better with:

tab:hover{
border-top: 4px solid #0A246A !important;
}

and btw. You can make a whole theme that mimic the Office look :)
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Flexer wrote:It is better with:

}

Not enough time to be honest and not enough skill. Also, I am quite satisfied with the default theme and just wanted to change it a little to add a more office look to it.
Beals

Post by Beals »

}

Are you just adding that code, or replacing part of the original? I'd like to check it out, but I don't wanna screw it up!
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Beals wrote:

}

Are you just adding that code, or replacing part of the original? I'd like to check it out, but I don't wanna screw it up!

Save a backup to say userchrome.old and then experiment!

I'd assume you can do both though. At the moment it will highlight in that colour when the tab is active for the window you are in. What I assume the above code does is highlight the top part of each tab when you hover the mouse over it. (Which, no-offence, I would personally find too distracting even if it is more consistant with the rest of my mod).
naylor83

Post by naylor83 »

>lordmedikit

I was just wondering if you would let me incorporate the Office XP-style CSS you have created for Firefox into my theme (Doodle) as a subtheme? This would be great! I will (of course), on my website, say something like '... courtesy of lordmedikit', with a link to your website.

Thanks!

/David

<a href="http://home.student.uu.se/dana3949/doodle/">Doodle Website</a>
<a href="http://davidnaylor.org/blog/">David Naylor: Blog</a> | <a href="http://davidnaylor.org/photography/">David Naylor: Photography</a>
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

naylor83 wrote:>lordmedikit

I was just wondering if you would let me incorporate the Office XP-style CSS you have created for Firefox into my theme (Doodle) as a subtheme? This would be great! I will (of course), on my website, say something like '... courtesy of lordmedikit', with a link to your website.

Thanks!

/David

<a href="http://home.student.uu.se/dana3949/doodle/">Doodle Website</a>

Abolutely fine. Its released under the GPL anyway by the original authors and my understanding is that this applys to any other modifications like mine.

So yeah feel free to use it and modify it as desired and thanks for asking. I just hope it will work OK and not mess anything up with the rest of your theme.
naylor83

Post by naylor83 »

Thanks! Obviously I'll have to test it to make sure it looks as it should in my theme too.
RMo

Post by RMo »

After searching last night for the Go menu but never finding it (I was trying to find a site in my history), I just thought I was going crazy when I'd imagined that Mozilla had a Go menu. Then today, for other reasons, I was looking in this code and found there's a line that hides the Go menu. Is this intentional? I don't have any problem with it, but I was just wondering and couldn't find any mention of this when skimming through previous posts.

Oh, and yeah, I'm using this with Mozilla-the-suite. It's OK but suffers from the "big toolbar" problem you mentioned, but I stripped out everything but the menu code because that's all I was looking for--and it's great.

Thanks a bunch! This is fantastic... :-D
- Robert Morris
a.k.a. R.Mo
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I did a little messing around to make the mod look more like the pictures lordmedikit posted when using a version of Windows other that XP and I tweaked the tabs a bit. I wasn't able to find out how to skin the History side panel, but if your Window background colour is the default white it won't matter. I have sensitive blue eyes and a bright background in Windows Explorer is murder after a few hours so, the History side panel looks too dark on my machine.

Here is the screenshot:
http://members.shaw.ca/sincnet/off2K3_mod.png

Here is a .zip file containing the userChrome.css and a text file which contains the code block to add to userContent.css to skin the scroll bar:
mod2k.zip

Note: the parts I changed or added to in userChrome.css are marked with
/* My Changes */
code
/* End My Changes */
so you can see what I have done.
naylor83

Post by naylor83 »

Why have you decided to hide the Go-menu, lord medi-kit?
<a href="http://davidnaylor.org/blog/">David Naylor: Blog</a> | <a href="http://davidnaylor.org/photography/">David Naylor: Photography</a>
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

RMo wrote:After searching last night for the Go menu but never finding it (I was trying to find a site in my history), I just thought I was going crazy when I'd imagined that Mozilla had a Go menu. Then today, for other reasons, I was looking in this code and found there's a line that hides the Go menu. Is this intentional? I don't have any problem with it, but I was just wondering and couldn't find any mention of this when skimming through previous posts.

Oh, and yeah, I'm using this with Mozilla-the-suite. It's OK but suffers from the "big toolbar" problem you mentioned, but I stripped out everything but the menu code because that's all I was looking for--and it's great.

Thanks a bunch! This is fantastic... :-D

Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned it. Yeah, it is intentional because I never use the Go menu and since I have all my icons, the address bar and menus on the same row, I wanted all the space I could get for my address bar.

naylor83 wrote:Why have you decided to hide the Go-menu, lord medi-kit?

Reason is above. Feel free to get rid of that line for your skin if you don't want it.
Last edited by lordmedikit on February 24th, 2004, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

monkeyman wrote:I did a little messing around to make the mod look more like the pictures lordmedikit posted when using a version of Windows other that XP and I tweaked the tabs a bit. I wasn't able to find out how to skin the History side panel, but if your Window background colour is the default white it won't matter. I have sensitive blue eyes and a bright background in Windows Explorer is murder after a few hours so, the History side panel looks too dark on my machine.

Here is the screenshot:

Here is a .zip file containing the userChrome.css and a text file which contains the code block to add to userContent.css to skin the scroll bar:
mod2k.zip

Note: the parts I changed or added to in userChrome.css are marked with
/* My Changes */
code
/* End My Changes */
so you can see what I have done.

Hi. I wasn't aware that this didn't work in non-XP versions of Windows could you show me what happens? I assumed the userchrome.css tweaks were completely platform independent?

Also, I noticed from your image that you don't seem to quite have finished the tabs. The active tab seemed to be missing the right border. Furthermore, the tabs seem to be positioned slightly above the bottom of the tab bar (I'm not sure if this is intentional?).
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Really, it's just that the colour scheme in Windows 9x/2K doesn't have that white colour for things like the status bar. The active tab looks depressed when you actually see it on the screen. The picture "flattens" the effect. The tabs act like console buttons, as close as I could get it, you'll just have to try it out and see.

Edit:
Ah, I see what you mean. Hmm, looks like the top and left borders need to be 2px for the active tab. I'll have to change it.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Turns out the active tab did need 2px border top and left to give a better "depressed" appearance. Also, the 1px right border in hover state was making the already depressed button move which shouldn't happen. Hey, I'm just learning so mistakes happen. :wink:

The files have been revised:

Here is the screenshot:

mod2k.zip
Beals

Post by Beals »

This is slightly off topic, but since this is a thread about the Office XP look, I figure someone might be able to help me. I have Office XP, but my menus here at home don't look like the menus at school. The look discussed in this thread matches that of the program at school. MY menus have a grey color to the selection background, rather than the blue-ish look found here. Is there something I can do in Office XP to get the Blue-ish background. FWIW, I am using the cheap student Office XP package.