GrApple theme stuff ...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
gunpowda

Post by gunpowda »

Interesting. gfx.color_management is not actually enabled. I tried turning it on, and you're right, the result was that the tab bar became even darker. But I'm getting the result you see above without that setting.

Thanks for all your help.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

it is then very strange - your Safari picture is abnormal light-colored - Firefox abnormal dark
there are many parts which not to fall in place

It looks not like a special Firefox problem and much more like a problem with your Mac system color management settings.

Cheers
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

On my set up, and with gfx.color_management turned ON, I don't really see a difference between Safari and Minefield (GrApple Delicious).

Both are too dark for my taste (aka: both bookmark bar and tabs are hard to read), but for what and how I use Minefield it is OK :-).
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

@phiw13
when i remember it right, have you said the same years ago about older GrApple themes which were much, much more light-colored :-)
(and you have a poor eyesight, or?)

and on the other hand is color management really a complicated area. I would not be surprised, when many have a complete wrong setting.

Regards
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Aronnax! wrote:@phiw13
when i remember it right, have you said the same years ago about older GrApple themes which were much, much more light-colored :-)
(and you have a poor eyesight, or?)

You are right (I hate people with such a memory :-) - not serious).
It is not that I have poor eyesight, but I have aging eyes, and reading small-sized text displayed on a dark background is harder.

To be fair, if I view Minefield on the Alu-iMac (glossy monitor) with brightness turned on full max, it is 'better'. But the overall brightness/contrast of that monitor is then too hard. The same applies to the Apple 23" monitor here.
A friend of mines with an MBP complains about the same issues on 10.5: the darker grey used for window-titlebar/toolbar (at OS level) is too dark for her.

The background-colour of the tabbar used by Camino is much more suited for my aging eyes (rgb(203,203,203)).

But it is a complex issue indeed. I've seen people posting colour-profiles for Apple (iMac) monitors that are completely off.

Anyway, you won't please everybody, and personally, I don't complain about that part of your theme (hmm, did I complain about anything in it ?).
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

Thankfully have i not such a problem, but i think the decision from Apple to use this dark toolbar grey is in any event borderline.
Many have for sure the same problem. And apps. like Camino, which use a different toolbar grey on 10.4 and 10.5 have a very big design problem. When everything looks right on 10.4 looks it wrong on 10.5 and backwards. It has even some advantages that FF use not the "native" GUI stuff therefore ;-) ;-)

Cheers
gunpowda

Post by gunpowda »

Thanks for all your replies, Arronnax. I'm comparing what I see on the screen to the screenshot on your site, and they're identical. I've also tried calibrating my monitor, but I don't see that it's making much difference. Could you possibly show me what the theme should look like on a 'normal' screen?

Is changing the tab bar color a relatively quick modification (CSS? PNG background?) I'm willing to open up the XPI and do it myself, because I really like the theme, and just wish I could read the tab text.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

gunpowda wrote:Thanks for all your replies, Arronnax. I'm comparing what I see on the screen to the screenshot on your site, and they're identical. I've also tried calibrating my monitor, but I don't see that it's making much difference. Could you possibly show me what the theme should look like on a 'normal' screen?

Is changing the tab bar color a relatively quick modification (CSS? PNG background?) I'm willing to open up the XPI and do it myself, because I really like the theme, and just wish I could read the tab text.

Hi,
i think the problem is simply a misunderstanding

your
"Safari 3 (Leopard)" style is changed from another app., or?
i have expected the normal style and compared the images in this kind of way.

there is very likely nothing wrong, but when you want another style
then change this:

.tabbrowser-tabs {
background: url("chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tabbar_bkgd.png") repeat;
}

in a userChrome.css would work this:
.tabbrowser-tabs {
background: url("tabbar_bkgd.png") repeat !important;
}

Cheers
ignorantcow

Post by ignorantcow »

This is insane. Why is this not the default theme for Firefox 3, instead of that horrible "Proto"?

Thanks Aronnax. I bow in extreme admiration. Keep up the good work.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

ignorantcow wrote:This is insane. Why is this not the default theme for Firefox 3, instead of that horrible "Proto"?

Thanks Aronnax. I bow in extreme admiration. Keep up the good work.

Many thanks
-----
and new versions

GrApple Delicious (blue) 0.9.9.8 + GrApple Yummy (blue) 0.9.9.8
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/

they have in particular a higher font contrast on the bookmarks toolbar and tab-bar

and a new maxVersion number = 3.0pre
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/in ... ozillaorg/
they will be released on addons.mozilla.org as soon the new maxVersion number can be used
the auto-update works therefore as well only later

Cheers
Liv

Post by Liv »

To preface this post: I am using this theme in Windows.

That said, it's pretty much perfect. Looks great except for one thing: the menus - files menus, context menus, etc. - are all transparent. Simply text over whatever the browser is showing.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Thanks
YoungAlex
Folder@Home

Post by YoungAlex »

This makes me sad. I need Mac :)
Fold for team 39340
Rule #1: Spammers lie.
Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.
dazstudios

Post by dazstudios »

Liv wrote:To preface this post: I am using this theme in Windows.

That said, it's pretty much perfect. Looks great except for one thing: the menus - files menus, context menus, etc. - are all transparent. Simply text over whatever the browser is showing.

create a pinstripe background or what ever background you feel suitable put that in your userchrome folder and put this in your userchrome

menupopup, popup {
border: 1px solid ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
padding: 1px !important;
background-image:url(pinstripe-background.gif) !important;
}
Liv

Post by Liv »

dazstudios wrote:
Liv wrote:To preface this post: I am using this theme in Windows.

create a pinstripe background or what ever background you feel suitable put that in your userchrome folder and put this in your userchrome

menupopup, popup {
border: 1px solid ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
-moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDShadow !important;
padding: 1px !important;
background-image:url(pinstripe-background.gif) !important;
}

I'm actually fine with just a solid background, so I changed it to just background-color (and even added some transparency in!), but thank you so much! It worked perfectly! I tried changing the font size to be a bit smaller as well, but that didn't work out. Oh well. Thanks again!
aaaxxx

strange close buttons on yummy

Post by aaaxxx »

i just got the yummy theme installed and now it has some strange close buttons.
i also have the TabMixPlus extension so i checkt its Preferences, but no result.. it just looks like this..

maybe its a bug with the theme maybe with tabmix plus.

i dropt this post in their forum too