GrApple theme stuff ...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

mcdavis941 wrote:
Should I expect the scrollbar fix to work with both Fx2 and Fx3?

it will works with both

Cheers
mudface

Post by mudface »

This is a great theme. The only comment I have is a small one. The "Go to the address in the Location Bar" button seems out of place. I know you've had that in GrApple forever, but I've always thought it doesn't fit. Personally, I think it would look better if that button was removed, but if it has to stay, make it flow with the location bar. Make it bigger and attach it to the location bar? Maybe.

Anyway, just my two cents. Great theme!
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

mudface wrote:This is a great theme. The only comment I have is a small one. The "Go to the address in the Location Bar" button seems out of place. I know you've had that in GrApple forever, but I've always thought it doesn't fit. Personally, I think it would look better if that button was removed, but if it has to stay, make it flow with the location bar. Make it bigger and attach it to the location bar? Maybe.

Anyway, just my two cents. Great theme!

Hi,
thanks ;-)

i had it like this forever:
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/themes/st ... _0_8_6.png
and it is still in the Beta 1

but the Beta 2 and the final version will have it then like on this picture:
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/themes/st ... _0_8_9.png
the orange button is the new "Go to the address in the Location Bar" (appears only when it is necessary)
and i think it is what you want, or?

by the way,
i would not remove an image in my themes when it would removes as well a function
something like this is a job for an extension, about:config or userchrome.css stuff, but not the job of a theme

and the changes depend on this new concept
http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11 ... s-to-come/ (some planned changes there are already obsolete)
the default theme will have the same
it looks then only different in my themes, but works identical and i think only this is the job of a theme ;-)

Cheers
MordEth

Post by MordEth »

For being a work-in-progress, I think the theme looks very good (of course, I'm using a nightly build). I am looking forward to seeing Graphite variants, and Safari-style tabs, but...it'd be insane to expect Aronnax! to have multiple versions finished already, with the beta still evolving. ^^

Not that it has much to do with the theme, but I really like the new location bar.

IMO, this theme blows the default-theme-in-progress away. By a huge margin.

...now if only more people would stop using IE, so I wouldn't have to support it in HTML/CSS. >.<
mudface

Post by mudface »

Aronnax! wrote:i had it like this forever:
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/themes/st ... _0_8_6.png

Yep that's what I said. =)

Aronnax! wrote:but the Beta 2 and the final version will have it then like on this picture:
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/themes/st ... _0_8_9.png
the orange button is the new "Go to the address in the Location Bar" (appears only when it is necessary)
and i think it is what you want, or?

Awesome, I think that looks great.

Aronnax! wrote:by the way,
i would not remove an image in my themes when it would removes as well a function
something like this is a job for an extension, about:config or userchrome.css stuff, but not the job of a theme
Cheers

I completely agree! Again, great work.
yqiang

Post by yqiang »

I just installed the FX3 Beta 2 and I found a small bug with the theme. When ever I go to the location bar, the location bar squishes down a couple of pixels. Please see the image to see what I mean.

http://yiqiang.org/files/grapple.png
isleofjib

Post by isleofjib »

i'm glad i stumbled on this. i really like this theme and pretty much agree with the other opinions here about the things to improve it (drop down tabs, etc.). but my biggest beef with this and the proto theme has to do with the unread tabs. is there anything i can do to tone down the rather garish and almost fuzzy red lettering? it's very hard on my eyes. other than that, i think it's great and it fits right in with leopard. keep up the good work!!
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

yqiang wrote:I just installed the FX3 Beta 2 and I found a small bug with the theme. When ever I go to the location bar, the location bar squishes down a couple of pixels. Please see the image to see what I mean.

http://yiqiang.org/files/grapple.png

hi, thanks for the test
i can reproduce it with the FF3 Beta 2 but not with a newer nightly build - it is maybe a bug in the FF beta or in my theme - no idea ;-)
all i know is that this behavior is then not anymore there together with the beta 3 and my theme

Cheers
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

isleofjib wrote:i'm glad i stumbled on this. i really like this theme and pretty much agree with the other opinions here about the things to improve it (drop down tabs, etc.). but my biggest beef with this and the proto theme has to do with the unread tabs. is there anything i can do to tone down the rather garish and almost fuzzy red lettering? it's very hard on my eyes. other than that, i think it's great and it fits right in with leopard. keep up the good work!!

my theme and Proto change nothing to a "fuzzy red lettering" - a tab extension is likely the reason - Tab Mix Plus for example do something like this - please let me know which extensions do you use currently

Cheers
isleofjib

Post by isleofjib »

you're right. it's apparently TMP. but what i don't understand, is the garish red only seems to happen with grapple and proto. but i did find the setting in TMP to turn it off and all is well now. thank you for pointing that out.
yqiang

Post by yqiang »

Aronnax: I downloaded the latest nightly build and tried again, while the problem is much better now, it is still very obvious that the size of the location bar changes when you put your cursor there and start to type in a new URL. Can you confirm this and know why this is? My blind guess is that it has something to do with the favicon.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

yqiang wrote:Can you confirm this

yes
yqiang wrote:know why this is

yes - more or less ;-)

but the main problem with crazy little bugs like this, which appears only in very special combination, is that they needs endless time to fix - and they appears different in the beta 1 .. 2 ..and likely 3 ... - different in a nightly build from yesterday, today and likely tomorrow
as well is a main problem for themes that still some changes are planned for FF 3.0, which are not already included

and the result from all this is: i ignore these crazy little bugs and look then later for a solution ;-)

Cheers
isleofjib

Post by isleofjib »

quick question Aronnax- i downloaded .8.9.2 from your site. do i need to check your site for updates or will the add-on updater automatically check there for the updates?
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

@ isleofjib
the theme use currently no add-on updater function - and the Gran Paradiso Outlook will be disconnected in some weeks and replaced with a new theme - or better, it will have a new name

by the way, i need some new theme names. Have someone any ideas?
------
and a new version - GrApple (Gran Paradiso Outlook) 0.8.9.3 - for up to date nightly builds
http://www.takebacktheweb.org/

Cheers
Mordenkainen

Post by Mordenkainen »

The "Options" button that noscript puts on the notifier that it shows temporarily at the bottom of a page with blocked scripts
doesn't work with Gran Paradiso Outlook (it hasn't worked for me in quite a while) and it has only been by temporarily switching back
to the default theme and also trying proto 0.8.2 today that it has become evident to me that it is GrApple specific.
Also it would be nice if GrApple did not take the Neo Diggler icon, stretch it and put it into a button to try and make it like
the other things on the tool bar (the stretching is by far the worst part, it looks untidy).