Menu problems on Linux with Firefox 3 theme

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Menu problems on Linux with Firefox 3 theme

Post by KLB »

I have updated my theme "Classic Compact" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3699 based on the default Firefox 3.0b3 "classic" theme using Windows XP. While it seems to work really well in WinXP, I got a report from a Linux user that the menus are not highlighting the "hovered" item correctly.

Apparently the text is turning white correctly, but the background color is not changing. This part of my theme's CSS code is the default classic code, so I'm wondering if there is a bug in Firefox 3 under Linux or if the Linux version of classic handles the menu item highlighting differently?

The code that I believe deals with this issue is on /global/menu.css and is:

Code: Select all

menupopup > menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
menupopup > menuitem[_moz-menuactive="true"],
popup > menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
popup > menuitem[_moz-menuactive="true"] {
  background-color: -moz-menuhover;
  color: -moz-menuhovertext;
}

Any help confirming this problem and finding a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

I've spent several hours googling this issue and reading through threads here, but have not found anything that addresses this issue.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
ehume

Post by ehume »

Lucky you, to have Linux testers.

Try this:

menupopup > menu:hover,
menupopup > menuitem:hover,
popup > menu:hover,
popup > menuitem:hover {
}

and let us all know the results.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
James

Post by James »

I do confirm that the File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help is pretty much hidden when hovering over, though the drop down menus is fine. Also the large green vista back/forward icon does not look so great with three vertical lines/spaces easily noticeable.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008022304 Minefield/3.0b4pre
KLB

Post by KLB »

James wrote:I do confirm that the File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help is pretty much hidden when hovering over, though the drop down menus is fine. Also the large green vista back/forward icon does not look so great with three vertical lines/spaces easily noticeable.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008022304 Minefield/3.0b4pre

Yes I learned about the spaces between the unified icon after I released v3.0.1 and have fixed it in v3.0.2.

I have added (not replaced) ehume's suggestion to my /global/menu.css file and repackaged the theme. If there are any Linux users who are willing to test it (I would be most appreciative) it can temporarily be downloaded at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar

I tested Classic Compact v3.0.2 on Firefox 3.0b3 on WinXP and adding the extra CSS instructions had no ill effects. I just don't know if they cured the problem on Linux.

I'm still curious as to why this problem exists, since this section of code is from the default Firefox 3.0b3 classic theme.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I just got a report back from another user who tried my test copy of v3.0.2 of my theme and stated that the problem still exists.

I have narrowed down that the problem appears to be that the text is either turned off or turned to the same color as the highlighted background color.

Is it possible for someone to ZIP up the default classic theme from FF 3.0b3 in Linux and make this available to me? This would allow me to do a line by line comparison to see if I can find where the problem lays. Also, does the default classic theme cause the same problem in Linux?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure my theme works correctly for Linux users even though I personally don't use Linux (and don't have a spare machine to turn into a Linux box).
ehume

Post by ehume »

Try specifying this for -moz-menuactive:

background-color: red
color: white.

When you use the system's colors, you have no control over what is in your themes.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
KLB

Post by KLB »

ehume, The problem with specifically dictating the colors is that the classic theme is supposed use default system colors.

The fact that every thing works correctly in Windows and for Linux the background color is working correctly while the text is not being shown indicates to me that there is an undocumented difference between the Windows version of Firefox and the Linux version of Firefox or that there is a bug somewhere.

Maybe if a Linux user takes a look at what is going on with the DOM inspector they could figure out what is causing the problem. If it is with some part of my theme "turning off" the text, this possibly could be easy resolve. Otherwise such testing might help uncover an otherwise undocumented bug in Firefox 3.0b3.

Please keep in mind that the vast majority of the changes I made to the default "Classic" theme for Firefox 3.0b3 all revolved around changing margins, padding and borders within the style sheets to eliminate whitespace. I do not believe I made any changes to the default theme that would have changed the color, transparency, or visibility of any item other than the visibility of the very top border above the menu bar (which I turned off).
KLB

Post by KLB »

I find something interesting; for Firefox 2.0 the highlighted color instruction was "highlighttext" where as Firefox 3.0 is now using "-moz-menuhovertext". I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem?
KLB

Post by KLB »

I have uploaded a new test version of my theme that replaces:

with:

background-color: Highlight;
  color: HighlightText;

This works in Windows and would greatly appreciate it if a Linux user could confirm for me if it also works in Linux. Again, the theme can be downloaded from: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar

I'm sure a lot of Linux users who use Classic Compact will be very happy if this menu issue gets resolved.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The selected items down on the menu are getting highlighted in blue, but the top menu item (File, Edit, etc.) is showing up as grey on grey for me, rendering that top item unreadable.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008022504 Minefield/3.0b4pre ID:2008022504, running on Ubuntu Gutsy
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
I used to be known as (Old)HardinComp | My Blog
KLB

Post by KLB »

I've gone through the CSS files and can not find any other entry that would effect text color of highlighted menu items.

What I need is the default "global/menu.css" file from a Linux install of Firefox 3.0b3. With this file, I could do a line by line comparison of the Linux version of this file vs. the Windows version of this file.

If anyone is able to provide the Linux version of the default "global/menu.css" file, please PM me so that I can provide you with an email address where it can be emailed to or provide me with a link where I can download it.

Thanks.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I got the CSS file I was looking for and have found that there were differences between the Linux and Windows version of "global/menu.css" in relation to active menu list item styles.

I have pasted the Linux version of the CSS instructions in after the Windows instructions. I have tested the modifications on Windows and they did not cause any problems for Firefox on Windows. Now I need to find out if the modifications solve the problems on Linux.

As before the test theme can be downloaded from: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Nothing new breaks, but I get the same behavior as with the earlier test version.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
I used to be known as (Old)HardinComp | My Blog
KLB

Post by KLB »

I found some more differences between Linux and Windows themes that seemed like they could be relevant. Here are the Linux styles that I have added to my theme:

global/menu.css (these were added on the last test)

menu[_moz-menuactive="true"],
menuitem[_moz-menuactive="true"] {
}

menu[disabled="true"],
menuitem[disabled="true"] {
  color: GrayText;
}

global/menulist.css (added to test I just uploaded):

menulist:hover {
  color: -moz-buttonhovertext;
}

menulist:hover:active,
menulist[open="true"] {
  color: ButtonText;
}

menulist[disabled="true"],
menulist[disabled="true"]:hover,
menulist[disabled="true"]:hover:active {
  color: GrayText;
}

The latest test with the 'global/menulist.css' modifications can be downloaded at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar
James

Post by James »

Still doing the same thing. The image is of having clicked on the Tools menu and the mouse cursor is hovering over it. The blue highlight works fine on the menu drop down though. The ksnapshot does not get the mouse cursor as to why it does not show. Seems to be the same sort of thing no matter the gtk theme/color.

This is what happens when only hovering over say the Tools menu in the previous theme and this new version as the Menus would just become invisible pretty much.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3208/shot4nh4.png a Wii black theme.