Menu problems on Linux with Firefox 3 theme

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Is the problem getting worse from what it was when I first started this thread?

I'm so absolutely lost as to why this problem exists and how to fix it. I really wish the style sheets within the default "classic" themes for Windows and Linux had the same basic order/structure for style instructions so that it was easier to reconcile problems like this.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
KLB

Post by KLB »

I just found this tidbit about the issue I'm dealing with in relation to Debian Linux. My original problem may actually have to do with crankiness within Linux. See: http://naveen.wikidot.com/debian:need-t ... l-problems

This brings up one question that I should have asked from the beginning. Does the default "classic" theme in Firefox for Linux cause the same problem?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I take it you're not asking about the default theme currently shipping with Fx3b/Linux. I haven't loaded in the "classic" theme that's available for Fx3 so I can't help with that one. Surely someone reading this thread has that theme available.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
I used to be known as (Old)HardinComp | My Blog
KLB

Post by KLB »

What is the default theme for Linux? Can you provide a screen capture of the menu with a highlighted item? It really doesn't matter what the theme is, what I care about is figuring out how it styles highlighted menu items. If it works in Linux and uses the OS system colors, then I might be able to figure out what is going on.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Here's a shot of the current Linux theme. I'm not sure why the title bar got cut off (I had the Screenshot app get just the active window) and I'm running the Mac4Lin 0.4 theme (Graphite), which explains the grey background on the toolbar and menus, but you can see how it looks in my install.

http://nancib.wordpress.com/files/2008/02/fx3b4prelinux_defaulttheme.png
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
KLB

Post by KLB »

The other day I downloaded and extracted Firefox 3.0b3 for Linux and the only theme I could find that is shipped with it is "Classic." Based on the icons, it does not appear that you are using the Linux classic theme. What is the name of the theme you are using?
KLB

Post by KLB »

Combing through the menu.css and menulist.css files yet again I found two entries in the Linux version of the files that I did not find in the windows version that could have an impact. The entries are:

global/menu.css

Code: Select all

menubar > menu[_moz-menuactive="true"] {
  color: MenuText;
}

global/menulist.css

Code: Select all

menulist:hover {
  color: -moz-buttonhovertext;
}

I have added these two instructions to my theme and uploaded the latest test version to http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... -3.0.2.jar
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I am using the default Linux theme, in fact I don't have any other themes installed for my Fx3 betas. However as I said before, I am using the <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin">Mac4Lin Transformation Pack</a>, which changes the icons, etc., so when Minefield grabs the native GTK icons it's grabbing the icons from Mac4Lin, as well as the system colors. I didn't change my Linux theme because you asked to see a selected menu item, although I did warn you that the icons would be different.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Okay, I understand. You are using the "classic" theme, just that the icons get changed. This is what I needed to know. If I can find the key difference between the Linux and Windows themes then I can solve my problem. Maybe my last change was that key difference.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Coolness. I'll check it out in a few and let you know how it goes.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The old issue isn't fixed, plus there's a new one. I went ahead and changed to the GTK Mist theme so you can see that the selected item on the menu bar is still showing as blue text on blue, rather than white text on blue, as well as the fact that the selected search source for the Search toolbar is surrounded by a grey box.

http://nancib.wordpress.com/files/2008/02/fx3b4prelinux_defaulttheme2.png
KLB

Post by KLB »

I think I may have been running on one wrong assumption. From the beginning, have the individual menu list items (e.g. View -> Page Source) been displaying correctly (white text on blue background)? In other words, have both the menu items (e.g. View) and the menu list items (e.g. View -> Page Source) been having the same problem or has it only been the the menu items themselves?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ehume wrote:Lucky you, to have Linux testers.

I use Linux anyway. But maybe you could using try a Linux LiveCD? Certainly would make stuff like this much quicker to fix.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KLB

Post by KLB »

I wouldn't mind using a stand alone emulator, but I don't want to install anything that was anything that was any deeper than a standard software application or mucked with my overall system configuration.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

KLB wrote:I wouldn't mind using a stand alone emulator, but I don't want to install anything that was anything that was any deeper than a standard software application or mucked with my overall system configuration.

Well, you don't actually install anything at all. Put the LiveCD in the CD/DVD drawer and off you go, normally the BIOS boot order on most modern PCs is configured to boot from CD before HDD anyway. If not, and that's rare, you just enter BIOS (F1 or Delete, whatever) and change the boot order.

They always come with a range of programs, including Firefox, but that would be Firefox 2 (also called IceWeasel) as LiveCDs are always a few months behind the latest versions. So, this is more a tip for the future. Anyway, they're free, either download them or send away for a LiveCD by post and keep it in a drawer.

When I was away from home once, I fixed a popup.css bug on Linux like that in 10 minutes.

I worked remote with a Mac guy for a while. Worked well, but only because the guy knew his DOMi and showered me with screenshots as well.
Last edited by Frank Lion on February 27th, 2008, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)