Menu problems on Linux with Firefox 3 theme

Discuss application theming and theme development.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Yeah, I know it will probably be a pain in the arse, but I'm gonna give it the old college try.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
I used to be known as (Old)HardinComp | My Blog
KLB

Post by KLB »

Your a brave penguin HardinComp. Overall, I'm really disappointed in the lack of good documentation related to Firefox theme development.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

KLB wrote:The problem with using "color: MenuText" is that it makes the text almost unreadable to some users ... if I change the text color to white, it becomes almost invisible on a standard Windows configuration.

I use the 'Silver' color scheme on XP and neither XP nor Knoppix was using white text on the Firefox hilighted menu items, so I wasn't seeing these issues.

Downloaded 3.0.2 (after finally locating it in the Version History Sandbox) and confirm that it resolves the issue for me.
KLB

Post by KLB »

CFL, sorry about removing my test theme so quickly from my server, I thought the final version would move out of the sandbox faster on the Mozilla Addons site.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

I expected to find it in the sandbox so initially I did a search from the sandbox and did not find it. I equate 'history' with the past, so it took a bit before I thought to look there. 'New history' is constantly being made, I guess, lol.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

KLB wrote:Your a brave penguin HardinComp. Overall, I'm really disappointed in the lack of good documentation related to Firefox theme development.
Yeah, I'm not sure of how much I'll actually do on it. Somehow I got the text to show up on tabs, so I guess I'll have to chase that down since I hate not having anything but the favicon on the tab. Doesn't help much at times like now when I have four tabs open to a single site. The Search bar is a bigger pain in the arse. I may end up starting a new topic for it to see if I can get an assist. I wouldn't bother too much with it but this theme has been in beta mode since September and there doesn't seem to be any activity on it, plus it's my favorite theme and any others that get close just aren't close enough for my taste. So it's get this one fixed or settle for a theme that kind of breaks the overall theme I've installed in Ubuntu so I'm trying to avoid that at almost all cost.
Proud Ubuntu Intrepid/Mac4Lin user, and Firefox 3 has gotten me to using Epiphany as my default browser so I check these forums a lot less often than I used to.
KLB

Post by KLB »

The whole way I got started with my theme was back with Firefox 1.5. I hate wasting desktop space on menus and toolbars so I played with the default theme to eliminate as much padding and space from the toolbars and theme in general that I could. When Firefox 2.0 came around and I had to start over I decided to start sharing my changes via the Mozilla Addons site. Now that my theme has become modestly popular (~150,000 downloads), I feel obligated to stay on top of Firefox 3.0 even though I personally won't start using Firefox 3.0 until it is out of beta. I also feel a little more obligation to make sure the theme plays nice on systems other than WinXP.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I made a theme for my old blog back when Fx2 came out, but it ended up being a personal theme anyway so I pulled it from AMO and didn't bother to update it for my own use. I did start a thread with my question. Hopefully when I can get it worked out I can offer it to the theme developer in case he wants to update it for Fx3. My new topic is at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=633048 for anyone who wants to help.
James

Post by James »

Hate to say that I get the invisible text on hover of menus with the classiccompact-3.0.2 version in the last respin nightly as it was to fix a Gnomestripe and Aero issues.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008030119 Minefield/3.0b4pre
KLB

Post by KLB »

Then the nightly broke something that it should not have. It was confirmed fixed by two different Linux users and the menu buttons use the same color instructions as the menu list items, which were not causing problems previously.

What does it take to get the current 3.0.2 approved with the existing fixes for users already using the theme and for Firefox 3.0b3 while I work on the new breaks caused by the fact that Firefox is a moving target on the nightly updates? The current version has been sitting in the sandbox since Friday evening and I have Windows and Linux Firefox 3.0b3 users waiting for the fixes this update contains.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The late evening respin fixed things again so the menu text is no longer hidden. Don't you just love theming with betas? :D
KLB

Post by KLB »

That is why I'm not fixing to dailies. I'm only fixing to major betas. The problem is I think the theme inspectors for Mozilla Addons are testing against dailies. Like I said an inspector using a Mac put my theme in the sandbox because the end cap for the unified buttons wasn't lining up correctly for Mac, never mind that it works right for Windows and for Linux and never mind that the update fixes much more serious issues for my Linux users. :(