[Firefox] Lebreeze

Discuss application theming and theme development.
PhoenixNostalgia

Re: Beta Test

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

springofdark wrote:And the junk icon... Any recommendations? I would be happy to try something different since the recycle bin metaphor is a bit tired.

How bout a shredder?
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

springofdark wrote:Oh yes...as for the bookmarks menu in Firefox...I simply cannot understand why the arrows won't show up. This may take some time to resolve...if anyone could lend a helping hand, I would be most grateful! :D

springofdark, I'm willing to offer some help if you like. To which arrows are you referring... the ones that appear when expanding bookmarks folders inside the bookmarks toolbar?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

I just noticed something. Why is it that the bookmark icons have a bit of color to them, but all the other icons are so bland (color-wise)?
ozphactor

Post by ozphactor »

I believe the bookmark icons were originally grayscale, but they were colorized recently. Not sure if the other icons will be colorized to maintain consistency? Personally, I think the whole theme looks better without any color, but either way, I have my bookmarks manager toolbar hidden, and I refuse to use it until they fix bug 190411. :P

Regarding the Firefox theme: The bookmark and folder icons are absolutely perfect now. I couldn't ask for more. :D

Regarding the Thunderbird theme: Just took it out for a spin and it's definitely the best theme currently available for Thunderbird (or at least up to par with Pinstripe). Only thing that needs fixing is the options dialog, in which some options are cut off, with no scrollbar to get to them. And I'm not sure if this is just happening on my machine, but I get a thick black border at the bottom of the options dialog. :(

Also, do you plan of bringing the look of the Thunderbird Advanced options pane to Firefox? I like it, although it could do with a bit more padding between the radio buttons/checkboxes and text labels (they're jammed up right against them now).

Thanks a million times for your hard work!
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

Another small complaint: I notice what with this theme, I constantly have to resize the options window to reveal options that get hidden. Would it be possible to have the theme resize the options window so that all options are shown?
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

CatThief wrote:
springofdark wrote:Oh yes...as for the bookmarks menu in Firefox...I simply cannot understand why the arrows won't show up. This may take some time to resolve...if anyone could lend a helping hand, I would be most grateful! :D

springofdark, I'm willing to offer some help if you like. To which arrows are you referring... the ones that appear when expanding bookmarks folders inside the bookmarks toolbar?

Yes those are the ones that do not appear.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

f4lc0n wrote:
CatThief wrote:
springofdark wrote:...as for the bookmarks menu in Firefox...I simply cannot understand why the arrows won't show up.

... the ones that appear when expanding bookmarks folders inside the bookmarks toolbar?

Yes those are the ones that do not appear.

springofdark, are you using a nightly or the milestone? The reason I'm asking is that someone else is reporting a problem with exactly what you described while using a nightly. I'm thinking it's the build and not the theme. Did you test other themes on the same build to make sure only your theme displays this peculiarity? Since all menu items pull their code from the same place (menu.css) it just doesn't make sense that toolbar menus would work while the bookmarks toolbar menus do not. I wouldn't even try to "fix" anything right now until you are certain it is actually broken, if you know what I mean.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

I don't see the arrows that belong in the bookmarks menu. This is something that also appears in Breeze2, which is what LeBreeze is based on, right?
springofdark

Post by springofdark »

CatThief: Thank you taking the time to assist me in working through this issue! I will trust your judgement - especially considering that I haven't been able to test on other builds. What I have found out, however, is that the menu arrows return to the theme when I switch to one of aaron's themes. I tried copying his code into both popup.css and menu.css, but the arrows still wouldn't show up. I'm going to assume that it is a build issue until the 0.9 release. And...yes, the theme is based off of Breeze2.

Ozphactor: Oh gosh, I'm not sure if my theme could live up to such a high standing. Pinstripe is a VERY impressive theme and it is a theme to which I owe I great influence. Thank you for your kind words!

I rewrote the pref.css file in Thunderbird (the original port was a bit sloppy). I cleared up quite a few issues with the advanced pane (and also exported its look and feel to firefox) but the bug in the general pane still remains. For some odd reason, the radios dissapear in the layout selection (everything still works though). From the testing I have done...the black stripe is build dependent. The build I am using doesn't have this stripe, but another machine (using a newer build) does. My hope is that the rewrite cleared it away.

Banjo: I couldn't tell you how on earth one specifies the size of the prefs window. I know it is a default coded into the application. My guess is that its in one of the .js files, but the values could be strewn all about the application. In newer builds, the window's size is remembered, but I can certainly see how this would be annoying. I will see if I can make the panels scroll on overflow, but I'm guessing that this behavior is hard-coded too (edit: ah yes...it is).

Ah yes...the color thing :) The theme was designed for web developers who needed a color-neutral window for viewing their work. A bright and colorful theme (and to an extent, even one that fits in with the windows interface) tends to be too distracting when you're trying to study a design, or revise a study. I thought that for satillite windows, the neutrality wasn't needed. However, when designing the tbird theme, I decided to follow through with the neutrality consistently. I might revert the bookmark icons back to their previous state yet.

Oh yes, the junk icon! In the next few days I will try drawing up some alternatives. However, development will start to slow real soon, since my time is running out.
Last edited by springofdark on April 3rd, 2004, 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
springofdark

Post by springofdark »

revisions to both themes have been uploaded
ozphactor

Post by ozphactor »

From the testing I have done...the black stripe is build dependent. The build I am using doesn't have this stripe, but another machine (using a newer build) does. My hope is that the rewrite cleared it away.

Hmm, yeah, the black stripe is still appearing on my official 0.5 release. Ah well, no biggie, I'll can always write some userChrome to clear it away.

I cleared up quite a few issues with the advanced pane (and also exported its look and feel to firefox)

The Advanced pane looks great in Fx! Nice work.

but the bug in the general pane still remains

It occurs on more than the General pane (on my machine, at least). The Fonts and Display panes are also slightly cut off. I'll try tightening the padding around some elements, and see if that helps.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

springofdark wrote:revisions to both themes have been uploaded

IMHO the progress meter on the status bar doesnt look right without the border. And i agree with oz the advanced pane is amazing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
ozphactor

Post by ozphactor »

Hmm, just noticed that myself. What did happen to the progress meter border?
springofdark

Post by springofdark »

good eye! uploading a fix now. I disabled it when I was troubleshooting. You might also notice that the bar pulsates now too - in a very subtle manner.

Oz, perhaps I will open a guest account on my server space...I would be interested in seeing your modifications.

Addition: The stripe issue has been resolved. I uploaded a fix.

The radio buttons now seem to be build dependent. On another build, they show up fine when I created a new account. hmm...
ozphactor

Post by ozphactor »

Hey, I just realized that the latest Thunderbird nightly will actually remember if I've resized the Options dialog, and retain its previous window size! This feature wasn't in the 0.5 release, nor is it in Firefox (even up to the latest nightly). I suppose that makes the cut off items in the Options dialog less of an issue, as users can simply resize their windows slightly, and then forget about it. :)

And if you really want all the items to show up at the default window size (or if you're using the 0.5 milestone), you can use this code that sacrifices a bit of whitespace:

Code: Select all

#prefsCategories { padding-top: 30px !important; }
#header { height: 30px !important; padding-top: 0 !important; }
groupbox { margin-bottom: 0 !important; }
caption { margin-bottom: 0 !important; }

Things are a bit more cramped, but I think that'll get most of the elements to appear without having to resize.

Oz, perhaps I will open a guest account on my server space...I would be interested in seeing your modifications.

Ha, good one. As if I actually know what I'm doing. :P