Whitehart Development [Discontinued]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
[:Aureliano Buendía]

Re: Whitehart Development [FFX+TB]

Post by [:Aureliano Buendía] »

When I click on "About" item of whitehart on add-ons window, I have this error:

If I repete this action when a different theme than whitehart is set as current, FF3 freeze.

I use whitehart 3.0.2

Ciao
"The world was so recent that many things lacked names, and in order to indicate them it was necessary to point."
One Hundred Years Of Solitude
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

ZonkSJx, I think I already fixed that. You have a button named "Show Information" in the Updates panel at the right of the Install button. Before, it had the 3 rows icon file and now has its own icon. We use images with all possible icons and load a particular region as needed. When not properly set, like when new options are added to FFX without proper CSS/icon handling, things like this happen.

al_9x, I might talk with onemen at some time and see if he can add some way to identify each row so we can have some customization for that.

nvc, glad to hear that!

Aureliano, that is intended as I need you to set that setting for the options panel to work. I might change the message so it's better understandable that is something about the theme.

Anybody tested this theme in Linux? I did some minor checks in Leopard Mac OS X but it will be good someone does more in depth test as well.

EDIT: I finally posted a request at TMP forum asking onemen about this multi-row issue, al_9x.
Last edited by DonGato on June 26th, 2008, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[:Aureliano Buendía]

Post by [:Aureliano Buendía] »

DonGato wrote:Aureliano, that is intended as I need you to set that setting for the options panel to work. I might change the message so it's better understandable that is something about the theme.
Ok, I set this on true on about:config and now the issue is resolved.
It is seem that If I set set "use colored RSS icons" on true, the icons still remains gray colored: see this

Edit
I'm sorry... I think is intended only for url bar.

Ciao
"The world was so recent that many things lacked names, and in order to indicate them it was necessary to point."
One Hundred Years Of Solitude
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, only for the URL bar as some people might like to keep that url bar colorful. I still need to come with a colorless favorites icon.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

al_9x, I think I achieved something like a compromise (I hope it suits you). It shows a normal single row and it improves multi-row spacing but the last row in a multi-row scenario won't have the spacing you want until TMP implements a way to differentiate rows (thing might never happen). In any case I think it looks better as tabs ends are not so close to each other.

http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whi ... 0.3-fx.jar

This will be 3.1 if nobody finds any other problem.
As the change done for multi-row can affect other styles (single-row, no TMP) I would like some testing/confirmation that it didn't brake anything else.

Updated first post and added some images to make it more appealing.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:al_9x, I think I achieved something like a compromise (I hope it suits you). It shows a normal single row and it improves multi-row spacing but the last row in a multi-row scenario won't have the spacing you want until TMP implements a way to differentiate rows (thing might never happen). In any case I think it looks better as tabs ends are not so close to each other.

This was a pleasant surprise, thank you, definitely an improvement.
DonGato wrote:As the change done for multi-row can affect other styles (single-row, no TMP) I would like some testing/confirmation that it didn't brake anything else.

I turned off TMP, the tab bar looks ok. I would make a few comments about the scroll buttons.
  1. they could use a hot tracking (mouse over) effect, like other buttons
  2. maybe some kind of separator between the button and the scrolling region so the scrolling background tabs don't quite meld with the button
I think these would be improvements, but I don't run in that mode, maybe others have stronger views
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, if I fix that then TMP arrows are broken (more space than needed). :P
It's quite troublesome when you have to cope with lots of other extensions changing browser behavior.
But the hover effect is there, what do you mean by that effect missing?

Released 3.1 to AMO (awaiting review, but you can get it from my site... it's basically 3.0.3 with a different number).
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:But the hover effect is there, what do you mean by that effect missing?

Turns out "no color" breaks it. Although there are other elements (bookmarks and folders on the bookmark bar, the tab list drop down button) that retain the color hover effect with "no color"

Not sure if your are inclined to deal with this now, but in 2.x all button hover effects (including tab close button, tab list button, tab scroll buttons) were with the 3d relief border, so "no color" didn't cancel them. I would prefer the 3d relief hover effect (color can also be there, depending on the option), it's more consistent with the rest of the theme.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No, it was a decision to remove all 3D effects from close and arrow buttons (only toolbars should have 3D effects).
Will see if I can fix for a future release the hover effect with the no-color option (there shouldn't be any). Could you list me where they are?
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:Will see if I can fix for a future release the hover effect with the no-color option (there shouldn't be any). Could you list me where they are?

There shouldn't be any color? or any hover effect? I think there should be a hover effect on clickable elements. For no color you could do 3D or gray scale color change.

1. tab scroll buttons (without TMP) - no hover effect
  2. with TMP, if you go to TMP Options -> Display -> Tab bar, you'll see all the buttons that can appear on the tab bar, including scroll buttons if you chose "scrollable with buttons" - either no hover effect or blue
  3. active tab close button - no hover effect
  4. bookmark bar folder - blue (this also gets the 3D so you can just drop the blue)
  5. bookmark bar link - blue
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

Could you make the drop indicator for bookmarks (the line that shows were a bookmark will drop in the parent folder when creating new or repositioning within a folder on the bookmark bar or menu) darker, it's hardly visible now.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

If I knew what object could that be (I couldn't find it). :P
In any case... it's quite visible here... or I might not be understanding you.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:If I knew what object could that be (I couldn't find it). :P
In any case... it's quite visible here... or I might not be understanding you.

create a folder on the bookmarks bar, add a bunch of bookmarks to it, click on the folder to drop it down, grab one of the bookmarks and try to reposition it in the list by dragging then dropping. As you are dragging it a drop indicator line will appear between the bookmarks to show you where it will drop. This line will be very faint and especially when obscured by the semi transparent image of the bookmark you are dragging, barely visible.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I assume I was on the right path then. I'm afraid I can't find that object, but anyway it's quite visible here. Might be the advantage of having an sRGB compliant LCD. :)

al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:I assume I was on the right path then. I'm afraid I can't find that object, but anyway it's quite visible here. Might be the advantage of having an sRGB compliant LCD. :)

it must be under theme control since the theme changes it