Whitehart Development [Discontinued]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
al_9x

Re: Whitehart Development [FFX+TB]

Post by al_9x »

Another little detail for no color, the drop indicator for the bookmarks bar is blue as is the text of the bookmark being dragged
MrSneeze

Post by MrSneeze »

I can't find it now, but I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the person who reported this previously didn't have any screen shots.

Well here are some screen shots. You can see the Skip / Continue button has multiple icons. This is with Whitehart 3.1.

Image Image
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Ok, now I see... I was thinking about another button. I will fix that.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, it's time for a new beta release.

The release is numbered 3.1.1 and has this changes:
CHANGE: updated hover effect in arrows and close buttons for no color option
CHANGE: darkened bookmarks dropmarker
BUGFIX: removed some remaining color effects in no color option
BUGFIX: fixed addons trouble with Skip/Continue buttons
BUGFIX: removed extra dropmarkers in Mac OS

You can get it here: http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whi ... 1.1-fx.jar
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:Well, it's time for a new beta release.

1. can you restore at least optionally the 3d hover effect for bookmarks bar folders? It's been there forever and looks very appropriate and differentiates folders from bookmarks. Of course I understand that you can do whatever you want, but it would be very considerate of you not to yank out / alter long standing, signature visual elements without providing options to restore them.
  2. when mousing over a bookmarks bar folder the items to the right of it shift left
  3. hover effect for the tab list dropdown button hides the chevron
  4. location bar star is yellow when full (ok when just outline)
  5. stars in the location bar dropdown are yellow
  6. new tab TMP tab bar button has color and no hover effect
MrSneeze

Post by MrSneeze »

al_9x wrote:
  1. can you restore at least optionally the 3d hover effect for bookmarks bar folders? It's been there forever and looks very appropriate and differentiates folders from bookmarks. Of course I understand that you can do whatever you want, but it would be very considerate of you not to yank out / alter long standing, signature visual elements without providing options to restore them.

Seconded. The 3D effect is sorely missing. It's one of the things that makes Whitehart what it is.

al_9x wrote:
  • when mousing over a bookmarks bar folder the items to the right of it shift left

• Confirmed here. Looks like the Bookmarks Folders :hover effect doesn't have the same padding / margin as the normal display.

al_9x wrote:
  • hover effect for the tab list dropdown button hides the chevron

• Doesn't seem to hide it, just make it a lot lighter which makes it difficult to distinguish from the tab bar background.

al_9x wrote:
  • new tab TMP tab bar button has color and no hover effect

• Confirmed as well. Has color but no 3D border effect, although probably intentional if going with the same effect as the bookmark toolbar buttons.
    DonGato

Post by DonGato »

1. Ok, I will restore the bookmarks toolbar 3D hover effect and remove the coloring effects, but that alone... other bars (tab and find mainly) won't have any 3D effect and I won't provide any customization for that. You can always use userChrome.css to make the changes you like.
    2. I can't see it on my current code.
    3. Should be fixed.
    4. Will gray it out.
    5. Idem.
    6. Fixed.

Re-download 3.1.1 and check.
    al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:1. Ok, I will restore the bookmarks toolbar 3D hover effect and remove the coloring effects, but that alone... other bars (tab and find mainly) won't have any 3D effect and I won't provide any customization for that. You can always use userChrome.css to make the changes you like.

1. I am curious as to what led you to start ripping out 3D hover all of a sudden, can you share your thoughts on this? To my view, especially find bar buttons are very similar to toolbar buttons. Previous, next are like back forward. Highlight all is a typical depressible button like show history sidebar button. Can you post a 3D userchrome.css example for the find bar?
    2. When you restored 3D to folders you also added it to bookmarks which never had it. Can you go back to color change hover for bookmarks? This provided helpful differentiation for bookmarks and folders and since bookmarks are basically links a color change hover makes sense.
    3. Now that you brought up the find bar
      1. next, previous, highlight buttons are focusable, this adds a meaningless focus rectangle and their hover (all three) and depress appearance (for highlight all) is different depending on whether they have focus
      2. previous button hover is green (no color)
      3. highlight all hover change is barely discernible
      4. highlight all icon turns yellow when depressed (no color)
      5. the "phrase not found" icon is red (no color)
      6. not found search text background is red (no color). Should it be gray scale, for consistency? Not sure, what do you think?
    4. the Firefox "Address Not Found" page (possibly other system pages?) background color is changed to white by the theme. That looks worse plus theme shouldn't impact anything in the content area, no?
    5. places query bookmark icon has color
    6. profiles created with the -profile switch don't have the "chrome" directory so theme options don't work until it's manually created
    DonGato wrote:2. I can't see it on my current code.

restoring 3D folder hover took care of that
    fura2

Post by fura2 »

I use Whitehart3.1 on Fx3.(WinXP)

The wheel is rotated while pushing a right button.
    However, the color of the pull-down menu doesn't change.
    DonGato

Post by DonGato »

al_9x
    1. That was something I wanted to do since long ago and now it's finally realized (remove the horrible hover 3D effect from small arrows and close buttons). You're right that findbar buttons shouldn't be changed, so I will revert it.
    2. Never used such feature so I didn't analyzed it before. I think the 3D effect there is better, so I will keep it. And folders are quite discernible because they have a folder image before the name.
    3a. Should stay as they are needed for keyboard navigation there.
    3b. Will fix.
    3c. Will see if I can do something about.
    3d. Will fix.
    3e. I don't know, the warning icon for error pages is also in color and it's useful for visual awareness.
    3f. Gray wouldn't be noticeable. Some color is needed for visual awareness.
    4. Well, that customization was missing from previous releases. While working on cleaning the code I found it. I adjusted the color but I won't revert it to system style that is quite ugly.
    5. Will change.
    6. Won't fix for now as I'm considering removing that feature that is not welcomed by the Mozilla team and most probably will be broken in a future release. User should create the directory by himself if he uses profiles.

To all, take in account that as I check parts of the theme I rarely use, I analyze them and change them to fit MY idea of how the theme should behave. Some changes might be debatable but some not.

fura2
    Don't know what you're talking about. Care to provide screen shoots and steps to achieve that?
    Last edited by DonGato on June 30th, 2008, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:2. Never used such feature so I didn't analyzed it before, thank you for letting me know! The 3D effect will stay for all as folders are quite discernible because they have a folder image before the name.

Do you feel that strongly about this? The 3D border is a button effect, folders are like drop down buttons, bookmarks on the other hand are far more like links than buttons and the button hover effect does not seem to me to be appropriate for them. Would you put 3D hover on the links on your website?

DonGato wrote:3a. Should stay as they are needed for keyboard navigation there.

but what about different hover effects and depressed appearance depending on focus, surely that's a glitch

DonGato wrote:4. Well, that customization was missing from previous releases. While working on cleaning the code I found it. I adjusted the color but I won't revert it to system style that is quite ugly.

Can you post some css for userchrome to restore it?

DonGato wrote:6. Won't fix for now as I'm considering removing that feature that is not welcomed by the Mozilla team and most probably will be broken in a future release. User should create the directory by himself if he uses profiles.

I don't mind that you don't fix this, manually creating the chrome folder is not hard, but removing options? After finally getting it to work and fixing up "no color?" What prompted this? Needless to say, please don't do it.
    DonGato

Post by DonGato »

al_9x wrote:Would you put 3D hover on the links on your website?

Neither on folders, but this is not a site but a toolbar.

al_9x wrote:but what about different hover effects and depressed appearance depending on focus, surely that's a glitch

No, that's the way focus, hover and selected (open as it's in the code) works. They are different things. It's not a glitch. The 3D effect (outset) is used for hover, the inset one is for selected and the dotted box is for focus. What might not be so useful having an icon effect already in place is the outset effect for highlight selection.

The code you ask is this...

Code: Select all

html { background: -moz-Dialog !important; }

al_9x wrote:I don't mind that you don't fix this, manually creating the chrome folder is not hard, but removing options? After finally getting it to work and fixing up "no color?" What prompted this? Needless to say, please don't do it.

What I said is that the moment is broken the moment is gone. For now it will stay.
    al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:
    al_9x wrote:Would you put 3D hover on the links on your website?

Neither on folders, but this is not a site but a toolbar.

Folders are not links, they are drop down buttons. If you had a drop down button on a site (think some ajax app), you might put a 3D border hover effect on it, but likely not for a hyper link. Ok, I won't whine more about this, but think about, it's a link, not a button.

DonGato wrote:The code you ask is this...

html { background: -moz-Dialog !important; }

that didn't work
    DonGato

Post by DonGato »

al_9x wrote:Folders are not links, they are drop down buttons. If you had a drop down button on a site (think some ajax app), you might put a 3D border hover effect on it, but likely not for a hyper link. Ok, I won't whine more about this, but think about, it's a link, not a button.

Just do something. Use FFX default theme. Look at the bookmarks toolbar, come back and let me know what you saw.

Sorry, it should be: html { background-color: -moz-Dialog !important; }

And answering this:
    the Firefox "Address Not Found" page (possibly other system pages?) background color is changed to white by the theme. That looks worse plus theme shouldn't impact anything in the content area, no?

This is themed for a reason. As you can see the warning icon is themed and the button to try again as well. It was like that before (FFX2). It's a FFX custom page so I don't see why it shouldn't be themed. Just that I forgot to fix the background and the color taken from the windows dialog box setting could be quite bad in some configurations.

Re-uploaded 3.1.1
    al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:Just do something. Use FFX default theme. Look at the bookmarks toolbar, come back and let me know what you saw.

I was aware of that, but so what? Does it change the fact that conceptually a bookmark on the toolbar is a link and not a button. A wise man once said:
    what it does the bundled theme is of no care for this theme

DonGato wrote:Just that I forgot to fix the background and the color taken from the windows dialog box setting could be quite bad in some configurations.

It has a gray background now, which is better than all white, but I wanted to try the default and

html { background-color: -moz-Dialog !important; }
    still doesn't work.

About the updated find bar, can you try typing some text into the the search field to enabled the buttons then clicking back and forth between different combinations of pairs from (search box, next, previous, highlight, match case) When I do that, especially between the search box and the other controls, all/some of the controls shift left and right.

I didn't really understand your focus explanation. When the next, previous, and highlight all buttons have focus they have different hover effects than when they don't have focus. The only thing that focus should do is paint the focus rectangle, it shouldn't change the hover effect. The "when in focus" hover effect appears to be left over from the default theme (it's rounded 3D and has colors). Similarly, the depressed effect for the highlight all button is different when it has focus and again it looks like a left-over from the default theme.