Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
c0Ld

Post by c0Ld »

I am reverting to yesterday's build for the theme.
If this is still the default theme in firefox at release, I will switch to opera. When I first looked at it, I concidered reporting it as a bug. Then I realized somthing: Bugs are cooler then that. All this time I have never switched to a new theme because I loved fox's default. I will not see myself EVER useing this ugly peice of shit.

I hope I see some changes over the next few days to at least improve on this ugly peice of crap, or it's opera for me after so long with pheonix/firebird/firefox. And I don't even like opera! Shows you how much of an effect looks have, doesn't it?

Fix it. It's ugly. It's repulsive. I can't bare to look at it. I switched to a buggier build that barely even runs for five minutes without a problem instead of looking at it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
+AdBlock
+ChatZilla
+Download Manager Tweak
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Rats. I have an older build I wanted to try it out on to see what all the fuss is about.
c0Ld

Post by c0Ld »

Sasquatch:
http://mozilla.ussg.indiana.edu/pub/moz ... 07-09-0.9/
^ I belive that has it.

Don't eat for two hours before looking at it though, unless you have a very VERY strong stomach.
I can't bare to see my buitiful fox so corrupted by that ugly thing...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
+AdBlock
+ChatZilla
+Download Manager Tweak
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

unweak wrote:No. Afaik SuSE and Mandrake doesn't even install any Mozilla or Firefox by default. IMHO Konqueror ist still the best choice for KDE users because Mozilla / Firefox is too slow on a KDE desktop.

I can't speak for SuSE but I *thought* Mandrake installed Mozilla by default. I know Slackware does. ("Default" is tough to pin down on Linux...i'm just going by if it is available or not). Check distrowatch, Mandrake 10 has Mozilla 1.6 (1.7 in their Cooker), Fedora uses Moz 1.6, Debian uses Moz 1.6, SuSE 9.1 uses 1.6, Slack 9.1 uses Moz 1.4 (current uses 1.6)..............and so on down the list.

And I use Firefox here in KDE and it works just fine (mozilla too, but I hardly use it anymore)
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

c0Ld, good idea. Makes a lot of sense to switch to Opera (good luck with that) instead of merely downloading Qute.

To quote John Stossel, "Give me a break."
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

c0Ld wrote:I am reverting to yesterday's build for the theme.
If this is still the default theme in firefox at release, I will switch to opera. When I first looked at it, I concidered reporting it as a bug. Then I realized somthing: Bugs are cooler then that. All this time I have never switched to a new theme because I loved fox's default. I will not see myself EVER useing this ugly peice of shit.

I hope I see some changes over the next few days to at least improve on this ugly peice of crap, or it's opera for me after so long with pheonix/firebird/firefox. And I don't even like opera! Shows you how much of an effect looks have, doesn't it?

Fix it. It's ugly. It's repulsive. I can't bare to look at it. I switched to a buggier build that barely even runs for five minutes without a problem instead of looking at it.

c0Ld, there is no reason for this kind of post. If you don't like the theme, change it. Nobody expects every single user to use the default theme, that is why there is a Themes section in Options (or Tools, if you're on the Branch). That is why Fx help has a Themes section (and Mozdev, et al). That is why these very forums have a Themes forum. Kevin Gerich and Stephen Horlander are working hard on this theme, calling it names doesn't help.

Switch to Opera and good riddance to you.
c0Ld

Post by c0Ld »

Theres plenty of a reason.
They're going to destroy firefox with such an ugly default theme. I couldn't ever convince an IE user to switch to somthing like that, it's too ugly.

c0Ld, good idea. Makes a lot of sense to switch to Opera (good luck with that) instead of merely downloading Qute.

Yeah, I agree, it actually does. How do you intend to talk your friends into switching to a browser with a theme that looks like a four year old made it? I don't care if qute is available for download, people will leave that don't like to customize the browser, and like the default browser to be good. I personally don't care if I have to change themes, but by switching to this thing they are completely DESTROYING firefox.

Heres what'll happen:

-IE user notices firefox, thinks its cool and its supposed to be secure
-Installs it, runs it for the first time.
-Notices the theme, wants to go puke
-After pukeing, he comes back and sees it again. Since his stomach is empty now, he can manage to actually just go and delete firefox.

Features don't matter to this person, why in the world would he use a theme that makes him want to hurl?
Sure, he can switch themes, but that's the DEFAULT and it's ugly as a horse's ass.
What's to convince the user before he deletes it that the features aren't just as ugly? Hrm?
Last edited by c0Ld on June 7th, 2004, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+AdBlock
+ChatZilla
+Download Manager Tweak
esavior

Post by esavior »

Cold its not that bad, its a very very early version of the graphics. Mai9 linked this earlier, I think this needs to be linked again. Look at what qute looked like at this stage:
http://www.quadrone.org/projects/mozill ... ute0.1.png
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

c0Ld wrote:Sasquatch:
http://mozilla.ussg.indiana.edu/pub/moz ... 07-09-0.9/
^ I belive that has it.

Don't eat for two hours before looking at it though, unless you have a very VERY strong stomach.
I can't bare to see my buitiful fox so corrupted by that ugly thing...

I couldn't wait and did one better. I just went out and got a newer build (today's from bangbang).

Looks OK to me. The pictures are a little different, who cares? The only one I don't like is the bookmarks one which is hard to make out. At first I was a little alarmed, but then realized that it was on large icons whereas I usually view small ones. Fixed that pretty quick. The new browser seems faster than last weeks, I wonder if this theme contributes to that at all.

Oh well, I guess this is it. Once they get it all sorted out, I might try another one, but don't want to screw things up right now, so will stick with the default.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Yes... it will "destroy" it.

Whatever.

It's JUST A THEME. And it's not anywhere near done yet. If you are THAT worried, just download Qute after he packages it up and install it right after you load up the browser for them. Problem solved.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

c0Ld, your account has been suspended for one week.

jason
hawks5999

Re: I don't like this new default theme.

Post by hawks5999 »

classic66coupe wrote:I have been pretty positive towards firefox in the past. I have recommened it to many of my friends. I download nightly builds to help test. This new theme looks like crap. I hope the old one is at least included.

SUSE Pro 9.1 5 CD set contains Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, Epiphany, Konq (of course), etc. etc.
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

neuro wrote:[2] Not to denigrate those who test and report back, as such feedback always has it's uses.

Gee, you think? Thanks for giving us beta testers some credit... *shakes head*.
steppenwulf241

Post by steppenwulf241 »

steeler fan for life wrote:Switch to Opera and good riddance to you.

Be nice.

And in other news... My itch to scratch in this whole issue is that no matter how much feedback on the issue there is - constructive or otherwise - no change by Ben will likely be made. For instance, I just showed the latest nightly build to a friend of mine who has switched to Mozilla Firebird - and his instant response was "ewww. this sucks so bad. its so ugly" (his words, not mine - so forum moderators, disable his AIM privilidges for flaming, not my forum ones) Anyways... its just frustrating to see what so many see as a step backwards, and to get what more or less amounts to a 'flip of the finger' by developers when you give feedback. :-/ Oh well.

Oh, one more quick point: something else my friend said about this whole issue - which is a valid point... the way situations like this are handled gives Mozilla, both as a product and as an organization, the look of instability. *shrugs* Now people - dont flame me for saying this... But I have heard this from many people when discussing Mozilla and its track record... I just hope issues in the future (and hopefully this one) will be handled better.

[Edit: Just wanted to add that prior to posting this missive, all appropriate permissions were obtained from concerned parties for the inclusion of above quotes. *hint, wink, nudge*]
Last edited by steppenwulf241 on June 7th, 2004, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

c0Ld, you are obviously irrational on this subject, so there's no way to discuss it with you. If you feel like putting up with Opera, best of luck.

To say that whoever you are trying to switch from IE is so simple minded that the ONLY THING they care about is the "pretty icons"... well, I'm glad I don't know these people. Firefox is better because of the features it has over IE, not the icon set it uses. You act as if Firefox is garbage without "Qute". Ridiculous.

Icons are NOT the only thing people care about with an application. Millions of people use Eudora. Anyone seen the icons in that application?! I don't think I could design a worse set if I tried. But, people like certain features it has, and ways that it does things, over the other apps, so they stick with it.

Honestly, Winstripe, which does not look bad, not great yet by any means, but FAR from the vomit inducing monstrocity you portray it as... it's no worse than IE. I mean come on... IE's icons SUCK. People use it because it ALREADY THERE. Put something else there for them, without them having to do any work to get it, and they'll just as happily use that. Especially after seeing the additional features it has over IE.

Give users a LITTLE credit... please.