Constructive criticism: Winstripe

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

tmeader wrote:While they do look pretty good, I'm not sure what this is trying to solve. Vector icons would be great if XP supported them, but it doesn't unfortunately.

The wonderful thing about Gecko is that it draws icons itself. If you have an SVG-enabled build then you can use vector themes.

- Chris
mcic1984

Post by mcic1984 »

Thumper wrote:
tmeader wrote:While they do look pretty good, I'm not sure what this is trying to solve. Vector icons would be great if XP supported them, but it doesn't unfortunately.

The wonderful thing about Gecko is that it draws icons itself. If you have an SVG-enabled build then you can use vector themes.

- Chris

In this case, a vector based, scalable (rather than just large/small) icon set might look quite impressive! Anyone up for that? =)
esavior

Post by esavior »

Unfortunatly SVG doesnt ship by default with firefox, which means that wouldnt work ;( but on the other hand lol I wouldnt mind making a vector theme on their own!
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Admittedly, that would be pretty sweet :) However, since it's been made abundantly clear (by the devs in previous postings) that the Official builds won't be SVG enabled, we probably shouldn't start going off on a tangent about a vector icon set... any more ideas for Winstripe?
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

chrisgeleven wrote:Anyone notice how similar the Stop button and the close tab button are?
I think the close tab button is more similar to the standard close window button, than to the stop button. That is how it should be.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

I agree, i think the close button is the nicest part of the theme. It already fits into windows in my opinion and looks more native than the rest
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

no, i think they are both too similar, to be confused by noobs
Omar

Post by Omar »

Tabbed browsing is optional, it's not forced on the user. If they decide to use tabs, I don't think they'll confuse the button for something else.
charly1310

Post by charly1310 »

hmmm, so far so good, but could someone explain the difference between Winstripe and Pinstripe, please ?! As far as I could see from the Pinstripe screenshots (on that site that's been mentioned as a reference to Winstripe) and from the OSX theme this one is totally different to what we have now in Firefox. I've used Firefox with the standard theme on OSX and it really looked totally different to the Winstripe theme. Also, there're already 2 Pinstripe themes for Firefox (WIN) available. So why develope from scratch ?

I thought Mozilla Org decided to reject Qute (which I personally endorse, cause I've never got used to that one) in order to keep consistency with the Mac theme ? But it seems, Winstripe is intended not to look like Pinstripe. Confusing...

Did I miss something here ?

cheers,
charly1310
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

winstripe is intended to be a redesign BASED on the symbols used in the MacOSX icons.

From Kevin Gerich:

"Cross platform" in this case doesn't mean that we are trying to make Windows Firefox look like a Mac. That would be rude :) Instead we took most of the shapes from the Pinstripe theme and recast the icons in a Windows style. We're going for a unified "feel" across platforms while still blending in to the operating system. Think of Microsoft Word on the Mac and on Windows. They have different designs, but you still know they are Word.
residieu

Post by residieu »

I don't really like the triangular back/forward buttons. They just look a little too simple and boring.

I'm not really a big fan of all the colors, usually preferring more of a black and white theme, but I guess that's just preference.

Looking at the "add tab" button, it just isn't obvious at all what it is. You're adding something, but I have no idea what.

I like the way the selected tab melts is just a part of the rest of the page, rather than having the tab-bar be a bunch of disconnected buttons that a lot of other themes seem to do.

I'd like something else for the throbber, the circle of circles just doesn't look like anything.

Can someone tell me the origin of the pinstripe/winstripe name. I don't see any stripes in either of the themes.
Lost User 23393

Post by Lost User 23393 »

The new skin needs to be aware that not everyone runs the default Windows themes. I run a Plex II theme with StyleXP, and the current incarnation (June 8th branch) looks like a mix of two skins. The menu bar links are white, the bookmark link text is black. The background in the menu and bookmark bars is a dark blue, the tab background is white. It just looks very, very weird.
charly1310

Post by charly1310 »

tmeader wrote:winstripe is intended to be a redesign BASED on the symbols used in the MacOSX icons.

Thanks for clarifying.

Besides, even Winstripe is still in progress I don't see where the basic toolbar buttons (i.e. BACK, FORWARD, RELOAD, HOME) come from. The Pinstripe ones are looking so much different. The Winstripe buttons in the latest branch are far away from a redesign, see

http://kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html

and you know what I mean. I would love to see the originals in Winstripe, too. As mentioned previously the simple black and white style is more appealing to me too and would also look good with the classic Windows theme. Just my 2 cents...

cheers,
charly1310
vertigosity

Stop Button

Post by vertigosity »

Maybe one way to get around the problem of having "stop" buttons that focus on either an "x" (leading to thoughts of deletion) or those that focus on a warning-ish image of a Stop sign is to use a symbol implying "disconnect," or to scrap the idea of a "stop" button entirely, and use a combined throbber/progress meter/transfer rate indicator widget (a-la Opera, IMHO one of it's more interesting features) and then having the actual words "Stop Loading" and "Refresh Page" explicitly printed near it. Just a suggestion, and one definitely with a lot of problems (for one, it's really easy for a n00b like me to suggest changes like this since I have never even seen a line of the Fx codebase - secondly, copying Opera wouldn't be very original and would prolly annoy a lot of Fx users ;)), but maybe part of it might make some sense in a less radical context :P

Edit: Yeah, multi-widgets sound like a terrible idea from a learning-curve perspective...
No matter where you go, there you are - even before you arive.
iamnotniles

Post by iamnotniles »

Looking at Windows's icons, the delete cross is more scribbly than the stop button therefore implying it's been crossed out by hand. Qute's is also a nice tidy X so I don't think it's that easy to mistake them.

So long as there is a page of some sort it'll fit in with the XP style.