Constructive criticism: Winstripe

Discuss application theming and theme development.
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Thumper wrote:Windows icons guidelines. Check the spacing versus other Windows apps.

Not wishing to start an arguement, but I don't notice that level of spacing in any of my windows programs including stuff like IE. Is this a guideline for Windows with themes on or not, because I don't use WinXP skins. I am confused.
alcatraz52

Post by alcatraz52 »

I don't know *what* it is about this theme, but I just don't like it :/ The buttons just aren't interesting or uniform in some way, aka Mozilla Modern (the old green version OR modern purple!), IE5 (black & white->colour), or my favourite, Camino.

Also it uses those dark arrow buttons from Qute Thunderbird (from reply/forward) in refresh and somehwat back & forward trying to copy OE I guess--those don't even look good in OE :D! I just like a well defined shape like the arrow like in Mozilla Mail/Modern I guess, or the circular reload button in Mozilla/Modern...

My favourite of those types of arrows would be the blue XP redobutton though; it's thin and not dark like OE's/Qute's.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Here's a quick version of what I was talking about... and yes, Thumper, I just saw it today when an app crashed. Try deleting something that can't be deleted (and believe me, regular users do this ALL THE TIME)... Recycle Bin will pop up a dialog with that icon right on it.

steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

tmeader wrote:Here's a quick version of what I was talking about... and yes, Thumper, I just saw it today when an app crashed. Try deleting something that can't be deleted (and believe me, regular users do this ALL THE TIME)... Recycle Bin will pop up a dialog with that icon right on it.

No. I like the current stop button. I don't think there is any problem with it. Anyone that has used a web browser before would not confuse the stop button with the critical error icon. Plus, there is a tooltip that explains what it does. Lots of people still do use tooltips (myself not excluded)
Neil
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

The tooltips are a good point.... which brings up another one though... the Close Tab button REALLY needs a tooltip description. Out of the scope of the theme though I suppose ;)
alcatraz52

Post by alcatraz52 »

Another comment...I LOVE the colours of the main toolbar icons EXCEPT the home button. It's too white! I'm sure someone has pointed this out already though & I have no ideas as to what colour should be used so..

EDIT: I

IE5 has a button that looks suspiciously like a critical error ;) yet people weren't confused I think..

Although that stop button you post tmeader looks like it inverted the colours, it reminds of the modern theme (which I like ;))
drakue

Post by drakue »

Hi i have too little idea for have better winstripe theme i have make this quickly.

Make the icon in vectoriel for don't have pixel aspect of the people seems don't like.

Make relief for don't have the 2d effect.

(sorry for my very bad english)
Last edited by drakue on June 8th, 2004, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

Looks much nicer Drakue. You're English is better than most. Just remember the capitals and full stops.
bytemaster

Post by bytemaster »

Thumper wrote:
The critical stop icon is an established symbol which most users are likely to have seen before.
I doubt this. I don't even remember what that icon looks like. Is it still used on Windows?

Yes. It is still used on Windows, and is actually quite prevelant is some apps.

Maybe we could make it a yield sign? :) For that matter, you could make it a hand folding out... stop in the name of love.
Brainbench Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for Computer Technical Support
www.brainbench.com - <a href="http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/transcript/public/viewtranscript.xml?pid=742832">view my transcript</a>
drakue

Post by drakue »

Thanks lordmedikit :) i am glad to see you like it. I hope Ben Goodger too.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

While they do look pretty good, I'm not sure what this is trying to solve. Vector icons would be great if XP supported them, but it doesn't unfortunately. Since they are going to have to be converted into 16x16, and 24x24 bitmap icons anyway... just not much of a point.

Still, drakue, nice vector representation, though they need more definitive edges if nothing else.
drakue

Post by drakue »

No i know that (i heard is for longhorn) just for make the icon they have alway better lineart with vectorial.
(it's better too when we have to have different size for a icon we don't have the loss of pixel resizement.)
:)
esavior

Post by esavior »

Steeler I dont really think its a issue of confusion about the stop button, but its more of a issue of association. For those who have crashed a million times seeing that button causes feelings of panic. For me it annoyed me, it may cause a better reaction if it was retooled a bit, color wise or made to some how look less like a circle. But as I said earlier, I dont know if new users have really assoicated what that icon means yet, so they may not care at all.

are they going to see the stop button and think their having a critical error? I doubt it, but will it make someone think less of the theme maybe
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

drakue wrote:Hi i have too little idea for have better winstripe theme i have make this quickly.

Make the icon in vectoriel for don't have pixel aspect of the people seems don't like.

I like these very much and hope that the winstripe authors will consider adding these changes into the theme.

Everyone - keep up the great work and positive attitude! :)

cheers, JH
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

drakue wrote:Hi i have too little idea for have better winstripe theme i have make this quickly.

[cut image]http://aristobule.free.fr/winstripe.png[/img]

while i'm sure the authors have their own ideas this is deffinately a worthy post of what they can and might do with the theme that they have. Initial look at that theme to me was horrible, but initial look at alpha/beta software to me gains a similar reaction. I'ts not good now, but it's new and it will be improved, you always have to remember that with preliminary looks at software/graphics

so keep this type of thing in mind, for all we know they will blow us away with something that looks good far beyond what we were expecting