MozillaZine

Constructive criticism: Winstripe

Discuss application theming and theme development.
MORA

Post Posted June 22nd, 2004, 6:42 am

netmonkey wrote:Oh, I get it now... it's supposed to look like pinstripe.

Now that I see it so clearly, I notice that the reload button for winstripe does look kind of funky. It's not as circular as it needs to be, like the pinstripe one, for example: http://kmgerich.com/pinstripe/screensho ... window.png

That's an old screenshot. Pinstripe doesn't look like that anymore since 0.9. This screenshot shows the differences: http://www.kberg.ch/vandall/ff08ff09.jpg. I think the old Pinstripe was better suited for the Mac, but that's a different discussion.
They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them - Winnie the Pooh

jeanjean

Post Posted June 22nd, 2004, 10:45 am

Where can i download last version of winstripe?

scratch

Post Posted June 22nd, 2004, 5:04 pm

it's the default theme in the latest builds.

amano

Post Posted June 22nd, 2004, 9:36 pm

What I like in the new PINstripe theme is that the reload button and the Forth/Back buttons and the bookmark of the book are the same or of a similar color. That makes the theme look more hmm "compact/harmonish". Maybe this idea can be moved over to WINstripe (so all of these are green or blue).

In WINstripe I find the STOP button too plain looking, maybe some gradients can be used?

Other than that I fully agree to the spacing thing (see the last page) and of course to the removal of the shadows of the big icon Forth/Back buttons.

I would like to have a frequently updated standalone version of WInstripe, so we can see if new modifications are added.

Any chances to get that???

jeanjean

Post Posted June 23rd, 2004, 12:40 am

scratch wrote:it's the default theme in the latest builds.

Is there any way to download latest versions of the theme without having to use a nighlty?

[Unknown]

Post Posted June 23rd, 2004, 1:45 am

jeanjean wrote:

Is there any way to download latest versions of the theme without having to use a nighlty?

The 0.9 release has it, actually. No need to download anything but that.

-[Unknown]

Soothsayer

Post Posted June 23rd, 2004, 1:37 pm

Now I have been using the new theme for a little while, I thought I would share my thoughts;

Admittedly, my initial reaction was one of “Yuk!” to put it mildly.

However, I thought it would be best to use this theme for a week or so before passing judgement as my initial reaction could have been clouded by the fact it was simply different to what I had gotten used to.

Now I have used it for a while I am getting to like it, but think some items could be improved upon (I know I am repeating some previously stated opinions).

* The stop button looks like a warning / error and should be changed perhaps a hand instead of the cross would be better like the one on http://www.kademliaskins.net/packagepre ... thmaul.jpg (original picture by Darth Maul - published under GPL).

* Alternatively, perhaps a traffic light could be used? In which case, logic dictates that a traffic light should also be used for Go (I have a very vague recollection that a traffic light may have been used in Netscape 3, but could be wrong – that was a long time ago).

* The back and forward arrows also don’t appear to be pointing anywhere perhaps if they were made isosceles instead of equilateral, that would help?

* The spacing around the icons is also too much and following previous notes, I have amended the padding in my userchrome.css and it looks much better

* The new tab icon does not really look correct and making the tab part smaller and on the left side only would make this clearer.

* I find the clickable area around the close tab icon is not big enough – I am used to being able to click it without looking at my mouse pointer, but I seem to miss it quite often now.

* Finally (at last), I prefer the idea I read previously of the reload button being a single arrow going anti-clockwise and returning back on itself – It just seems a more accurate representation.

sasquatch

Post Posted June 23rd, 2004, 2:38 pm

I like the traffic light idea. Only, have 3 buttons in a row:

Red=Stop
Yellow=Loading page
Green=Go!

jeanjean

Post Posted June 23rd, 2004, 11:52 pm

[Unknown] wrote:
jeanjean wrote:

The 0.9 release has it, actually. No need to download anything but that.

-[Unknown]

I mean the very last version of the theme.

Thumper's Evil Twin

Post Posted June 24th, 2004, 1:23 am

There isn't a "very last" version of the theme. The last theme changes were checked in prior to 0.9.

- Chris

shadytrees

Post Posted June 24th, 2004, 12:12 pm

You mean the similarities will INCREASE, don't you? I thought the point of this was to be consistent.

Kevin Gerich, being the fun party animal that he is, is going to attempt both:
"Cross platform" in this case doesn't mean that we are trying to make Windows Firefox look like a Mac. That would be rude :) Instead we took most of the shapes from the Pinstripe theme and recast the icons in a Windows style. We're going for a unified "feel" across platforms while still blending in to the operating system.

Return to Theme Development