Something wicked this way comes. . .

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Grumpus

Something wicked this way comes. . .

Post by Grumpus »

Might do well for extension developers who haven't seen this yet, MV3 to start thinking about it.
A while back, mostly for the devs making add blockers, there was a report of Google and others doing what they could to make the ad blockers useless.
It seems to me, usually off base on technical stuff, this is the wolf in sheeps clothing. Making a backdoor method of canceling out add blockers immediate controls under the guise of an "Improvement:.
This is how I read it. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Re: Something wicked this way comes. . .

Post by therube »

Wicked is their middle name, ei, ei, o.

> canceling out add blockers immediate controls under the guise of an "Improvement:.

Well Google is there, certainly.
Mozilla, what is to be said, is only a follower, so while perhaps not "now", tomorrow, you can be sure they will be too.

(Oh, what's that you say, another day has gone by. Well, golly 'gee, it must be time for another FF release - you know, one with "imporements". Yeppers, 103.0 is right around the corner. Come'on Grumpus, you're sitting there at 100.0. Come'on get them thar improvements! ;-))
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Re: Something wicked this way comes. . .

Post by frg »

Mozilla has stated that they will keep the blocking web request api. How much good this will do is to be seen. I doubt many add-on authors will go mozilla only and the general public will not care and use chrome.

Not sure about background pages. Service workers are the official way to replace this. Double urghhh...

Quite ironic that the totally unsafe, totaly outdated, totally old fashioned, totally orphaned by mozilla and totally bad xul versions like uBlock Origin legacy might have better blocking next year than anything else on the market. They already have by working with chrome urls but that is just my opinion :)

FRG