Tabbed Browsing Extension problem

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
thenightfly42

Tabbed Browsing Extension problem

Post by thenightfly42 »

I have a repeatable problem that occurs when I use TBE 1.4.2002110101. I have no other extensions, and am using the release 0.4 of Phoenix. The problem leads to a tab which can't be viewed until a second tab is opened.

Enable TBE.
Open two tabs.
Make Tab B the active tab.
Close Tab A

At this point, Tab B is still labeled properly on the tab, but the page is entirely grey. I can go to another bookmark, and the tab name changes, but the tab itself remains blank. Once I create a new tab, the previous tab becomes viewable again.

Can anyone else verify? I didn't see this problem on the developer's page.
MaGNuS_Z

Post by MaGNuS_Z »

I get the same problem here. It's been there for as long as i used Phoenix. There is also another problem with the popup whitelisting dialog when you have the Tabbed Browsing extension. I uninstalled it for the moment...
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

WFM, using the 20021101 nightly and Tabbrowser Extensions 1.4. BTW: TBE has been updated around 11/1. You might want to uninstall the old and install the new version.
leoz

Post by leoz »

MaGNuS_Z wrote:I get the same problem here. It's been there for as long as i used Phoenix. There is also another problem with the popup whitelisting dialog when you have the Tabbed Browsing extension. I uninstalled it for the moment...

I believe that the popup whitelisting dialog problem at least is fixed in the 1101 release of TBE.
At least, the dialog never used to work for me, and does now.

I haven't ever seen the problem described in the post that started the topic, but I think
you should report it to Piro if you can reproduce it. He's been great at fixing bugs.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I'll contact Piro with this thread shortly, just wanted to see if it was only me before I bothered him.

I discovered further (similarly) that if I have tabs A, B, and C, with C viewable, closing B will blank out C. Switching to A and back to C will allow C to be viewed. I do have the most recent TBE, but not the nightly Phoenix. I'll try that soon.
leoz

Post by leoz »

thenightfly42 wrote:I'll contact Piro with this thread shortly, just wanted to see if it was only me before I bothered him.

Hmm, I just tried it, but can't reproduce. I open two tabs in a new browser window, select
the second tab, right-click on the first and select close and it all still looks fine. What am I
doing differently from you?

thenightfly42 wrote:I discovered further (similarly) that if I have tabs A, B, and C, with C viewable, closing B will blank out C. Switching to A and back to C will allow C to be viewed. I do have the most recent TBE, but not the nightly Phoenix. I'll try that soon.

Not confirmed either - works fine for me. How are you closing the tabs? I use right-click on the
tab title and then "close tab"

I use TBE 1.4.2002110101 and Phoenix 20021101.

BTW it seems as if Phoenix 20021105 is broken judging by another thread, so I wouldn't try
that one.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

leoz wrote:Hmm, I just tried it, but can't reproduce. I open two tabs in a new browser window, select the second tab, right-click on the first and select close and it all still looks fine. What am I doing differently from you?

I'm using middle-click to close. It might be dependent on some of my TBE preferences.
The selected ones are:
[x] load in background
[x] open tab middle-clicking
[x] single-browser mode
new tab -> blank page
[x] tabs: middle click-opening
[x] tabs: unrequested links
[x] tabs: unrequested javascript
[x] unload last page
[x] superimpose locked/auto reloaded
open: end position
focus: right tab
double-click: no reaction
middle-click: close tab
leoz

Post by leoz »

thenightfly42 wrote:
leoz wrote:Hmm, I just tried it, but can't reproduce. I open two tabs in a new browser window, select the second tab, right-click on the first and select close and it all still looks fine. What am I doing differently from you?

I'm using middle-click to close. It might be dependent on some of my TBE preferences.
The selected ones are:
[x] load in background
[x] open tab middle-clicking
[x] single-browser mode
new tab -> blank page
[x] tabs: middle click-opening
[x] tabs: unrequested links
[x] tabs: unrequested javascript
[x] unload last page
[x] superimpose locked/auto reloaded
open: end position
focus: right tab
double-click: no reaction
middle-click: close tab

I have a fairly different set of settings. The ones that strike me as potentially relevant are:
single window mode (this is my guess at the culprit)
and maybe unload last page.

Try turning off single window mode and see if the problem goes away... If so, then that'll
be useful information for Piro.

I tried closing a tab via ctrl-click (no middle-mouse-button here) and still all works fine.
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

leoz wrote: The ones that strike me as potentially relevant are:
single window mode (this is my guess at the culprit)

Seems to me you've found it!
leoz

Post by leoz »

Orbite wrote:Seems to me you've found it!

Not sure what you mean, actually... Do you mean you have this problem and when you
turn off Single window mode, it's ok?

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem even turning on Single Window Mode, so seemed to me
it's something else.
MaGNuS_Z

Post by MaGNuS_Z »

It's not the single-window mode because it don't make any changes for me, still have the problem.

A question, where do you get the new tabbrowser extension? I downloaded the one from http://phoenixhelp.cjb.net/ and i still have this problem and the popup whitelist problem. I have an old build however (20021029)... i'll try updating the extensions and Phoenix.
leoz

Post by leoz »

MaGNuS_Z wrote:It's not the single-window mode because it don't make any changes for me, still have the problem.

A question, where do you get the new tabbrowser extension? I downloaded the one from http://phoenixhelp.cjb.net/ and i still have this problem and the popup whitelist problem. I have an old build however (20021029)... i'll try updating the extensions and Phoenix.

I got it from http://www.cc-net.or.jp/~piro/xul/_tabe ... ns.en.html

Can you post your settings? I can then post the differences between yours and mine and we can
see which change makes it work for me but not for you.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

MaGNuS_Z wrote:A question, where do you get the new tabbrowser extension? I downloaded the one from http://phoenixhelp.cjb.net/ and i still have this problem

Use the "homepage" option sted the "install click here".
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

MaGNuS_Z wrote:I downloaded the one from http://phoenixhelp.cjb.net/ and i still have this problem and the popup whitelist problem. I have an old build however (20021029)...

(hides face in shame) Turns out I also had an October version installed, even though I downloaded it fresh yesterday. I realized it earlier today when I tried to undo a tab close, and it wasn't on the menu.

New rule for me: ALWAYS go to the developer's page to download extensions and themes...
MaGNuS_Z

Post by MaGNuS_Z »

Ok i upgraded to the latest version of Phoenix (i already had the latest tab extensions without success) and that fixed it. I can't reproduce the two problems. :) Sorry for the trouble...

By the way, i used the Phoenix package from my distro (Gentoo) so it compiled the latest cvs version available with xft2. Works and looks great now!