ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 [updated 1/29/05]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Thats strange - the xml feed for those zipcodes says to display that image. The tooltip shows the correct thing luckily. Tomorrow that entry will disappear and you'll have a picture there :)

I need as many people as possible to install it and tell me if it works or conflicts with something. I want to submit it to update.mozilla.org once its ready. I just applied to get hosting on mozdev.org.

This is probably the order I'll add things:

-Options dialog.
-Ability to place it anywhere you choose.
-Customizable tooltips.
-International support.

International support seems like it'll be a pain to implement and the options dialog seems like a necessity before I can put it on update.mozilla.org.
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

It's amazing how a 'hobby' can suddenly develop into a major project!! #-o
tnorris

Post by tnorris »

Thanks, crafteh, the new icons are perfect. Everything seems to work fine.
ehume

Post by ehume »

ieremiou wrote:hmm, using the latest nightly.. no icons but the data is coming in.. it looks like a bunch of squished ||| on the right side.

I had one profile where this occurred and another where the display was nominal. I gutted the profile, and it works great.

Crafteh, this is a fine extension.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

I gave up and am using the 0.9.3 Official. Lol.

EDIT: Then switches back...

And it works. Ha! So I gues whatever it was looking for works properly now... weird.
It wasn't on clean profiles/builds for a while there.
Last edited by ieremiou on August 8th, 2004, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
papaoom

WeatherFox 0.1.4 post at FirefoxTweaks.com

Post by papaoom »

:roll: ... NEW: WeatherFox 0.1.4 posted at FirefoxTweaks.com

Needed a link to send friends to so I set this up as a quick explanation (until crafteh has his homepage up-and-running)...

crafteh

Post by crafteh »

It looks like the weather service is down right now, in case anyone was wondering why you can't get the weather data.
Last edited by crafteh on August 8th, 2004, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

Yeah I was JUST about to post about this. Lol.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
shirilover

Post by shirilover »

Any chance to alter this to use weather.com's XML feed and use XPath to determine values?
Using weather.com will make international support somewhat easier and eliminate the necessity to convert values.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Hitting update while having 0.1.3 installed didn' t update to 0.1.4.

Not sure if the feature is supposed to work yet, but just letting you know. :-)
thinktiger

Post by thinktiger »

I would make sure the extension is ablsolutely ready before putting it up on update.mozdev.org for a couple of reasons

(a) To help the mozilla community maintain a high quality for the extensions on the site
(b) You will be swamped with support requests or feature requests if the extension is incomplete

I think international support is a must before putting it up. Try weather.com feed as suggested by shirilover. I tried to sign up for the feed to add to applications but it kept asking me for my Home City even though I had it filled in. Probably because I put in an address outside of the US (I had to choose a US state as well).

Put it on other extension sites for a couple of weeks first and receive that feedback before releasing it on the whole world.

Just my 2 cents
Image Zoom extension for Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird
drb000

Re: WeatherFox 0.1.4 post at FirefoxTweaks.com

Post by drb000 »

papaoom wrote::roll: ... NEW: WeatherFox 0.1.4 posted at FirefoxTweaks.com

Needed a link to send friends to so I set this up as a quick explanation (until crafteh has his homepage up-and-running)...

I've added it to the extensions list as well. Thanks for the heads up on this great extension (now if only it could change the weather.... :))
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Thunderbird: version 1.0 (20041206)

<b>Website: <a href='http://www.matt-darby.com' target='_blank'>matt-darby.com</a></b>
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

WOW this is an AWESOME extension!! No more having to have weather programs that eat up my memory start along with my computer every single time!!

Thanks!! =)
-=MaStA ViC
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

shirilover wrote:Any chance to alter this to use weather.com's XML feed and use XPath to determine values?
Using weather.com will make international support somewhat easier and eliminate the necessity to convert values.

Where is weather.com's xml feed?

mmcmonster wrote:Hitting update while having 0.1.3 installed didn' t update to 0.1.4.

Not sure if the feature is supposed to work yet, but just letting you know. :-)

The update seem always seems really flaky to me. I have it set up correctly - its changing a bit with 1.0 PR coming out. I'll have to add support for that later today. It'll all probably work better once I move the stuff to a better host. Once its on update.mozilla.org I think it automatically takes care of looking for updates and I won't even need an update.rdf. I agree with Thinktiger though - it needs to be perfect before I put it on Mozilla's extension page.

On another note, my options dialog is well on its way. It doesn't really look nice yet - I don't know how to line stuff up well since this is the first one I've made. I'll try to make it as nice as possible before I release it, then I'm sure you guys will have tons of advice.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

crafteh wrote:New Version Posted: WeatherFox 0.1.4 [install

As we don't say in French, très weird....

Previous version refused to uninstall. Having nothing "better" to do at approximately 0600 local, created new Firefox profile, reinstalled extensions, installed WeatherFox 0.1.4, which works, even deigning to report the weather in New Mexico.