ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 [updated 1/29/05]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
thinktiger

Post by thinktiger »

weather.coms feed application form.

http://registration.weather.com/registr ... loap/step1
Image Zoom extension for Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird
arunsub

Post by arunsub »

I installed weatherfox 0.1.4 and i didn't get any icons. I have statusbar clock. I disabled that and restarted, still no icons. I'm using 08/05 nightly. There're small bars over which if i place my cursor, i get the weather data, but nothing displayed in the status bar.
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Arunsub: do you get any errors in the JavaScript console? Try setting javascript.options.showInConsole to true in about:config, restarting, and seeing if there are any errors in the JavaScript Console. Do you know how to us the DOM Inspector? Can you see if the src property points to chrome://weatherfox/skin/images/somenumber.png ? What other extensions do you have besides the statusbar clock? When I get home from work I think I'm going to try to find the extension conflicts. This is really weird :\

thinktiger: Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

[Added]: I signed up for the weather.com XML feed. Hopefully it will be good. I really like the one I'm using now because it comes with the great icons and automatically says which one to use. I'm waiting to be approved I guess, since I haven't gotten an email. Hopefully they don't care that I just put this post as the project's homepage. Still waiting to hear from mozdev.org!
arunsub

Post by arunsub »

I got the following errors after i turned it on. Not sure if it's related to yours. I haven't used DOM before and don't know how to use it.

Error: redeclaration of const NS_ERROR_MODULE_NETWORK
Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.js
Line: 2

Error: redeclaration of const kSaveAsType_Complete
Source File: chrome://browser/content/contentAreaUtils.js
Line: 141

Error: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/profile/manager;1'] has no properties
Source File: chrome://moztweaks/content/moztweaksCommon.js
Line: 51

Error: mtPopupButton has no properties
Source File: chrome://moztweaks/content/popups.js
Line: 86

Error: mtPopupButton has no properties
Source File: chrome://moztweaks/content/popups.js
Line: 86

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMWindowInternal.focus]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tabextensions/content/tabextensions.xml :: setFocus :: line 1074" data: no]
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Oh word... no errors directly from my extension. What other extensions do you have installed? I'm going to go through them all and see which one is conflicting.
arunsub

Post by arunsub »

show old extensions
quick tools
all-in-one-gestures
chromedit
optimoz tweak
cutemenus
dictionary search
download statusbar
adblock
super drag and go
ieview
statusbbar clock
embuttons
toolbar enhancement
image zoom
undoclosetab
sage
tabbrowser extension
gmail compose
windows update
weatherfox
minimize to tray
gmail notifier
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

The weather.com xml service is going to work really well I think. Here's what I'm planning on doing:

v0.2: Options dialog completed.
v0.3: Switch to weather.com.
- plus support to place the weatherfoxbox on any toolbar/statusbar/menubar.
v0.4: International support.
- A search dialog where you can search for your city and select it.
v0.5: Extension conflicts and other annoying bugs resolved.
v0.6: Mozilla Suite support.
v0.7: Thunderbird support??

And v0.5 will be the first one to go on update.mozilla.org. Thinktiger, I might need you to do your icon magic on the weather.com ones. I'll try them out first and see how good they are. Sorry, hopefully it isn't too much of a pain. I'll IM you later about it.

Also, what should I do about a WeatherFox icon. Should I just use a cool looking one from the current set that I have or should we make one?

I think this project is going to work out very well.

Oh yeah.. and does anyone know how to make it so Firefox doesn't open a new window when people click my install links up there? I think it might just be the forums doing it, but maybe there's a way I can disable it in the link?

[EDIT] Has anyone tried it out on Linux or Mac yet?

[EDIT] Does anyone who writes extensions or knows a lot about them want to help find out what extensions mine conflicts with? It could help make the whole process go much quicker!
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

crafteh...

Mac iBook OS-X 10.3.4...

Just did a quick install (after uninstalling 0.1 [which actually worked]) and it went smoothly --- the Cambridge icons are all there...

Will adjust settings when I get back later and let you know if all is well or if I lose the first icon again...

crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Thats good news about the Mac. You'll still lose the first icon though ... its a problem with that weather service in some zipcodes. When we switch to weather.com it will be fixed. I might be able to use the current icons even with the weather.com service. The weather.com ones aren't as good looking, and the numbers might correspond to the same forecasts... which means i could use the current ones! I have to check on it later.
fivecat

Post by fivecat »

crafteh wrote:Has anyone tried it out on Linux or Mac yet?

It works indentically well for me on XP SP1 and SuSe 8.2.
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

I wrote:Will adjust settings when I get back later and let you know if all is well or if I lose the first icon again...

Mac iBook OS-X 10.3.4...

Just finished resetting for 7 days and zip 02906... everything's working fine just like my XP (except for the first icon, as we've previously discussed)...

XP ~ OS-X ~ Suse ... a good share of a market, if I may say so...
Lookin' good ... can't wait till you've really tweaked this one-of-a-kind FF extension!

btw, when you finally get around to Thunderbird, maybe you can get it to give more detailed information -- kinda like Weather for TB has attempted (I understand that extension is now broken and it seems the project may have been abandoned)...

crafteh

Post by crafteh »

New Version Posted: WeatherFox 0.1.7 [install]

-- Changes in 0.1.7 ---
- Added: options dialog
-- automatically refreshes when certain settings are changed (zipcode, celcius/fahrenheit, refresh, interval)
- Added: right click context menu
- Added: if zipcode isn't set, open options dialog on startup
- In Progress: option to the weather box anywhere
- Known Issues: bad looking options dialog - I need help making it look nice!

Is anyone good at styling options dialogs? I can't get stuff to line up nice. Suggestions on what labels to use, how to align and arrange stuff would be sweet. Anyone is welcome to play around with the weatherfoxoptions.xul file ;) I want to get the options box perfect before releasing 0.2
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Just installed 0.1.7 (after uninstalling 0.1.4) and everything is working great! Nice job, crafteh!
-=MaStA ViC
tnorris

Post by tnorris »

Crafteh, take a look at my extension Autofill at http://autofill.mozdev.org. There is a lot of lining up in the preferences dialog for it. It primary involves liberal use of grids and groupboxes in the right places, w/ the right elements having flex turned on/off. I would set yours up, but if I'm doing extension code, I should be working on my own. ;-)
papaoom

What a Weather Beast!!!

Post by papaoom »

0.1.7 installed beautifully on XP-PRO ... the new dialog box is grrreat functionally!! Will update OS-X shortly and let you know if there are any problems (altho I don't expect any)...

Made my changes on FF startup .. zipcode took effect right away but the days change needed a FF restart to take effect (only reason I mention this is that this fact is not stated anywhere)... First icon is still X'd...

Already updated the FireFoxTweaks.com forum announcement to reflect this latest update...