ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 [updated 1/29/05]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
tnorris

Post by tnorris »

I have a similar problem. Up through 0.1.7 it worked, but not w/ 0.1.8 I get all X's and I get the following javascript error:

Error: doc has no properties
Source File: chrome://weatherfox/content/weatherfox.js
Line: 60

Also, my guess is that the reason your interval input textbox is disabled is that you are setting disabled=false when refresh interval is clicked. This is the not the right way to enable an attribute. If you want a textbox enabled you must call removeAttribute("disabled") rather than just setting it to false.

I know, I agree, it's weird but that's the way it works.
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

Installed 0.1.8 on XP very early this a.m. and it was working fine until a few minutes ago... Just installed on OS-X and getting X'd... Sure sounds like a weather server problem!!

I'll have to go into hiding if the weather server is down too long, whatwith the number of users I've convinced to finally try WeatherFox... A bunch of X icons, to many of them, will seem like the extension's a dud -- which it surely isn't!!

ADDED: Maybe this weather server is just too unreliable or fickle!!
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Kasteo wrote:Very nice, I love the new icons set. It's all working great now with the celcius supported.
How about http://www.accuweather.com ? does it support XML data feed?

I was just about to recommend http://www.accuweather.com for worldwide data myself when I read your post.
Would be great if this extension would be usable international this way.
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

btw, crafteh wrote:Thats good news about the Mac. You'll still lose the first icon though ... its a problem with that weather service in some zipcodes. When we switch to weather.com it will be fixed. I might be able to use the current icons even with the weather.com service. The weather.com ones aren't as good looking, and the numbers might correspond to the same forecasts... which means i could use the current ones! I have to check on it later.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=710592#710592

New service = better service?? Hope so!
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

The weather service is down right now... sorry everyone.

Thanks tnorris, that fixed the bug !! I'll post a new version in a little. On another note, I've been reading about the weather.com service and there are a ton of rules the program has to adhere to if I want to run it. I'm not sure it will be able to though.

- use their icons (i'd rather use the ones i already have)
- display a promotional link 3 times in the program (I guess I could put it in the context menu - go to weather for that day)
- have fewer than 25,000 active users in any given month (some wishful thinking, but if its on update.mozilla.org, a lot of them have 100,000+ downloads)
- limit refresh rates to 2 hours from each client and cache the data in between then (Oh, I thought it was like 12 hours last time I read it... but the service we'd use is 2 hours. I'd probably have to store the weather information somehow so that if you browse with multiple windows it loads the cached data rather than querying the server.)

New Version Posted: WeatherFox 0.1.8.9 [install]

-- Changes in 0.1.8.9 ---
Fixed: Bumped default interval to 60 minutes.
Fixed: Interval text box is editable again (thanks tnorris)
Fixed: Some minor aethestics.
In progress: Adding support to place anywhere. (some pull down menus work in the options settings)
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

Hm, this service seems to be incredibly unreliable. When's the switch to weather.com/another service supposed to be? (sorry if this has already been said, I skimmed through the thread quickly for the info)
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

I'm going to try to get v0.2 done tonight, which will include a relatively finished off options dialog and the ability to place it anywhere. Then I'm going to begin the switch to weather.com. Tomorrow I'll start messing around with the weather.com icons and parsing the info from them. I'm also going to have to implement some type of caching before I can release a weather.com edition.
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

Hey, the weather server is up -- at this end anyway!!

Yippe Yahoo... Looking forward to 0.2 and eventually/hopefully weather.com ...

mastavic

Post by mastavic »

The weather service is back!! Awesome =)
-=MaStA ViC
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

crafteh wrote:I'm going to try to get v0.2 done tonight, which will include a relatively finished off options dialog and the ability to place it anywhere. Then I'm going to begin the switch to weather.com. Tomorrow I'll start messing around with the weather.com icons and parsing the info from them. I'm also going to have to implement some type of caching before I can release a weather.com edition.

Any chance that you could make it so that a user can personally choose which weather server they wish to connect to (perhaps via the options menu)? From what I have been told, weather.com's server isn't 100% reliable either, so it might be better if you have at least two different servers that a user could choose (maybe even allow the extension to connect to one server - I vote weather.com - and then if that fails, connect to the other server).

-=MaStA ViC
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

MaStAViC wrote:...so that the user can personally choose which weather server they wish to connect to (perhaps via the options menu)?
I second that emotion!!
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

I don't think that will be necessary. When I implement the weather.com service, it will keep the weather data cached in a file for 2 hours. During this time, it will always load the weather icons and tooltips based on this file. Once two hours have passed, it will query the weather.com server for an update. If the server is unreachable, it will continue using the old data and be set to check for updates sooner. I think it'll be very rare to have the case where they are all X'd out with that method...
jetta

Post by jetta »

Hey! It works great now, once the server is up. Thanks to all.
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

New Version Posted: WeatherFox 0.2 [install]

Image Image

-- Changes in 0.2 ---
Added: Ability to choose placement of the weatherbox.
Fixed: Settings dialog is more complete.
Fixed: Improved pref manager - uses the defaults folder in the xpi.
Fixed: Improved intelligence of what to refresh after changing settings.
-No longer need to restart for changing any of the settings.

Play around with the placement thing. You can place it on any toolbar or statusbar. Also, has anyone tried this extension out on the latest nightlys? Is it compatable?
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Love the extension. I'm going to download a nightly tonight and see how it works.