RFC: Extension Developer Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

It's a bug in Firefox. It happens at http://www.squarefree.com/jsenv/ too, at least 80% of the time for me. I've been too busy to testcase it, so I haven't filed a bug.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Just threw together: http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/ ... uledit.xul

I like this one better.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:...
Extension Developer 0.1.0.20040903
http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/ ... iondev.xpi

Damn, somehow I missed this last time I checked the thread,
Excelent, excelent extension Ted. This will make my life so much easier now.

-Jed
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

jedbro wrote:Damn, somehow I missed this last time I checked the thread,
Excelent, excelent extension Ted. This will make my life so much easier now.

-Jed

Glad to hear that. I have some in-progress work I need to get back to on this extension, like the install.rdf editor/extension packager. I should have internet access at my new apartment today, so hopefully I can get back into the swing of things. I realize this thread has been buried for a while, but is anyone using this extension? If so, care to comment on anything that would make your extension developing easier?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

How stable is this extension anyway? It sounds like it would be highly useful for me to develop TBP, but if it has issues then I'd rather stay away from it.

Also, would the DOM Inspector belong in this as well? I know it can be built as part of the browser, but if your favourite builder can't make it work then having it available as a separately packaged XPI would be great.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

The extension is quite stable, I've been using it for a while. It doesn't interfere with browser usage at all, it's just a collection of tools you can open. The beta status is just because the extension as a whole hasn't had a lot of testing. Most of the individual tools were developed by Jesse, and are stable and usable.

I'm not sure I'd put the DOM Inspector in there, since it comes as an installer option with the standard builds.
eone

Post by eone »

Am I doing something wrong, or does it not support toolbox?
eone

Post by eone »

ah, it's the < script > tag it doesn't like. Looks like you're still working on that.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Despite all evidence to the contrary, work is progressing on this extension. Just not very quickly. I hope to get a new version out by the end of the year, with some pretty cool new features.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Creating a new extension (not quite finished...)
Loading an existing install.rdf (also not finished, needs to fill in Files)

Getting there!
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Nice :D, I'm looking forward to this.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Work progresses...
daledude

Post by daledude »

Great looking stuff Ted.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Okay, there's a new beta out. I updated the JSShell to 1.0 from Jesse's code, then promptly added in a few new features--persistent command history and window enumeration (for setting your scope to a different window). In addition some things were tweaked to work a bit better, and the jsenv has chrome privs now.

The install.rdf editor is in there, but not fully functional, and therefore not menu accessible. Don't worry, I'm getting there.

<a href="http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/extensiondev/extensiondev.xpi">Install</a>
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

There's a new version up. The extension builder is available for testing. You can edit install.rdf files with it, and it can build your package (jar + xpi files), but it's not done yet. I'd appreciate some feedback on those features, and ideas on what else you'd like to see in the extension builder. I do plan to have contents.rdf editing, and to make all the buttons that are currently there work.

<a href="http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/extensiondev/extensiondev.xpi">Install</a>