RFC: Extension Developer Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Tytoba

Post by Tytoba »

This is great, keep up the good work! As for feedback, I can't say much about the Extension builder since it's not complete yet, but it would be nice to have some explanations in various places about the different features (like how should a working directory be setup for instance, what files go where, does the jar need to be built already?). I find the XUL editor the best though. I wish when you did open a preview window though, that it would size correctly. If I do a dialog with only one element, Firefox is going to make it as small as possible just so it's big enough for the element and text and what not. With your preview, it seems to already be a set width and height.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Execelent stuff, looking forward to a future version.
What about adding a GUID generator? I hate having to use MS's Guid or something under linux, would be nice if this extension generated it for you (purhaps you could base it off the IP like MS does with the MAX address).

-Jed
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Tytoba: right now extensiondev expects your working directory to have the install.rdf file in it, and the content/ locale/ skin/ directories as subdirectories, and it will output the jars in the chrome/ subdirectory, with the xpi right in the working directory. As for XULedit, that's a good idea. I'll fix that.

jed: the install.rdf editor can generate GUIDs for you, you can see this if you browse to a working directory with no install.rdf, and hit "edit install.rdf", it will edit it as a new file with a new GUID. This will be more noticeable when I actually implement the "New" feature.
winklerjr

Post by winklerjr »

I noticed you made the XUL editor window resizable in the recent update. That's excellent; it was definitely on my wish list for this extension.

Keep up the good work.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Just a quick note, Firefox is getting stricter on the installer rdf's formats. Used your great tool to update my rdf and the changes it made were bounced back since they didn't match the recommended format. They referred me to the knowledgebase article here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?t ... nstall.rdf

Hope you can incorporate these changes in future builds, thanks.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
mesh

Post by mesh »

fyi, installed this extension today in FireFox 1.0 on Mac OS X 10.3.5

It keeps getting into an infinite loop and eating up 100% of my CPU resources. I eventually have to force quit firefox.

Here is the info I have:

I get this error:
Error: Object is not defined

Line 97
chrome://extensiondev/content/extensionDevOverlay.js

I can eventually reproduce it by going to this page:

http://optionslink.etrade.com/

and then opening this page in another tab:

http://www.sfarmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi ... S=-ASS,-AA

Eventually after some reloads and visiting other pages, the race condition will occur. Notice that each page has a similar JavaScript error in it.

Hope that helps...

mike chambers
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

ah I was wondering which extension was hosing me up, thanks, I'll try to disable to verify
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Hmm. It looks like this is a problem in some code I added to echo JS Console messages to the stdout console. I'll remove that code and post a new build tonight. There are a few things I fixed/changed anyway.

mrtech: You used extensiondev to make an install.rdf and it wasn't accepted by Firefox? Can you send me the install.rdf it made? My code is based on the EM RDF code, so there shouldn't be any differences, unless I made a mistake. My email is in my profile.
Stoffe

Post by Stoffe »

I just went looking for this thread because I finally tracked it to this extension, same issue 100% CPU at seemingly random times when browsing around, on XP and Gentoo alike. Sorry, no more info. Looking forward to the new version! :)
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

I can reproduce this with the following steps:
- open a webpage from an email
- create new window (ctrl-n)
- create new tabs (ctrl-t) etc.

At some point it will start to get hosed, not sure if it's related to my dde hack, but just figured it might since I load good google from a hotkey in my app and it goes into another tab and then I create a new window or tab and bam I'm slowed down to a crawl.

user_pref("advanced.system.supportDDEExec", false);

Will also investigate the exact steps but I have already tried disabling tbp and other extensions to see if they were the culprit, I'll keep testing to get a better test plan.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Ok, I commented out this code for the time being. The new release is up, same URL as ever, or just hit "Update". I'm sure there are other changes too, but I forget what they all are. "Build Extension" should work as long as you have WinZip installed in the default location, "Install Extension" should work fine. (silent install!) The code is mostly done to support winzip/cygwin zip in windows and zip in *nix, but not all hooked up. Soon...
Stoffe

Post by Stoffe »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:The code is mostly done to support winzip/cygwin zip in windows and zip in *nix, but not all hooked up. Soon...

Would it be possible to also support 7zip while you are at it? I don't use winzip or cygwin (usually) on Windows - that is, if it is an easy copy/paste a few line operation, of course. ;)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Posted a new build a little bit ago, and a silent update shortly afterwards. Trunk builds of Firefox and the Suite should work correctly with this release. (Although not all features are working on the Suite.) This release has been tested on Windows and Linux, with WinZip, Cygwin zip, and zip in Linux. Also I updated <a href="http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/extensiondev/">the website</a>(!)

Please report bugs here or to my email.

Stoffe: yes, that should be doable, assuming 7z has a reasonable command line interface, and some way to locate the executable programmatically. I'll look at it soon.
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

Stoffe wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:The code is mostly done to support winzip/cygwin zip in windows and zip in *nix, but not all hooked up. Soon...

Would it be possible to also support 7zip while you are at it? I don't use winzip or cygwin (usually) on Windows - that is, if it is an easy copy/paste a few line operation, of course. ;)

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Stoffe: yes, that should be doable, assuming 7z has a reasonable command line interface, and some way to locate the executable programmatically. I'll look at it soon.

Would you also be able to include WinRAR (doing zips of course) support?

Thanks, great work Ted
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

I'm trying to add 7-zip support, but the commandline options are on crack. Anyone here familiar with the 7z commandline interface?

This is my batch file (currently):

Code: Select all

REM @echo off
REM 7-zip support
REM use: 7zip.bat path\to\7z.exe working\directory -mx0|-mx9 output\file.zip file1 file2 file3 file4
set EXE=%1
shift
set DIR=%1
cd %DIR%
shift
set ARGS=a -tzip -r %1
shift
set OUTZIP=%1
shift
set FILES=
:process
if "%1" == "" goto done
set FILES=%FILES% %1\*
shift
goto process

:done
%EXE% %ARGS% %OUTZIP% %FILES% -xr-!*\.svn\* -xr-!*\CVS\* -x!*~

And it gets called like this:

Code: Select all

7zip.bat "c:\Program files\7-Zip\7z.exe" c:\code\extensiondev\ -mx0 c:\code\extensiondev\chrome\extensiondev.jar content locale skin

Where the arguments are <exepath> <workingdir> <compression> <zipfile> <files>.

This works, but it adds all my .svn directories and their contents, which I definitely don't want. WinZip skips hidden/system files, and with Cygwin/unix zip I can actually understand the "ignore files" argument. Anyone know how to do this in 7-Zip?

I can look at WinRAR support, but it's not free, is it? Testing is a bit difficult without free access to the program.